Favorite Books and Current Reads

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

2067 posts
Trifkin
Manticor

Re: Favorite Books and Current Reads

Postby Trifkin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm

I always hate to double post, but I wanted to talk about the book I just picked up.

Sometimes, I go quite a while without reading a classic sci-fi novel. I get distracted with modern literary fiction or a great piece of non-fiction or maybe some straight up fantasy... so that when I come back to sci-fi, I've forgotten how much I freaking love this stuff. Hot damn! Last night I started reading The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, one of my favoritest sci-fi authors, and I am enjoying the hell out of it. :3

Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Starfe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:14 am

Currently re-reading Akira as I slow release it onto my classroom shelf, also reading "Of Dice and Men", which is very interesting.

Also a billion fucking homework assignments. I'm reading those as well.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Starfe » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:15 pm

Fenn-Tyr
Ragelope

Postby Fenn-Tyr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:27 am

"Jitterbug Perfume", or "Skinny Legs and All", by Tom Robbins. Also, almost anything by Chuck Palahniuk. I recommend highly.
Yes, I'm the one person who actually liked FF XIII.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 am

@Starfe - I'll have to add it to the Never-Ending List. :3 And sweet! I'll check out that video soon.

@Fenn-Tyr - Yes!! Palahniuk is fantastic. /high five
I've heard good things about Robbins too.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Help me choose which book I want to read next! I can't decide of the two of these!

OR

Oh but of course, Allegiant comes out on Tuesday. *drools* Finished Insurgent last night. MY GOD THIS BOOK SERIES IS INCREDIBLE!! And what a horrible cliff hanger. I'm glad I paced myself and only have to wait two days.

[] - [] - [] - []

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:37 am

Familiars.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:15 am

Matched is one that I've actually picked up in the store and read the first five chapters of :3 so... actually what I read was very engaging. It will be bought eventually.

However, I did take the advice and purchase The Familiars #2. The first was very delicious (I got it bargain priced, too, when B&N offered it as a "Daily Find" discounted price of $2 or $3). It's an adorable children's book and I'm really looking forward to the second. Especially since I am reading Allegiant (Divergent series #3) which is pretty heavy, it's going to be great to have this to counter that heaviness.

[] - [] - [] - []

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 am

one day i will finish any of the fucking books i own

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:40 am

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:08 am

Reading a great book about cross cultural management (sorry I'm not into novels right now, I mostly read books where I can learn things), the author talks about his experience in China, the US, Japan, Germany and so on.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 am

books i've started? let's see, treasure island, song of susannah, up jim river, hogfather, nightfall, some scifi collections, third sword of truth book, a lot of manga....im hopeless

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Borrowed two books at my college library: one about martial arts in general, and another one about principles of judo (not only the techniques but also the philosophy and what Jigoro Kano wanted to teach).

The second one is really interesting, it's a good extension of what I learn at the club.

2067 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”