Hey, everybody who wants a DS and doesn't have one yet!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Pureauthor
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Pureauthor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Zai
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:09 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 pm

The DS "redesign" was merely giving it more PDA functionality. There's no remake, and probably not one that loses the GBA slot what with a second Guitar Hero: On Tour game coming out, by the look of things.

All in all, this was downright horrible for a conference. Not like they needed much attention but seriously ... this was terrible.

Zai
Wyvern

Postby Zai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:35 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:27 pm

Showcased a Snowboard game with Carrot Top (okay, Shaun White) using the balance board from WiiFit. Seemed decent enough if you care for that sort of thing.

They then moved into a pretty long speech about paradigm shifts and I had to check if my live feed made it to E3, presented by Stephen Covey. I missed most this speech as I honestly spent most of this time cooking breakfast (shut up >>). Probably nothing important.

Then some Wii games showcased; Star Wars: Attack of the Clones which, hey, looks good if you want to reenact that Star Wars kid video. Actually, it doesn't look too bad but they didn't really show much user movement and how it correlates to the screen so ... meh? If it works with the MotionPlus then awesome it wins points as come on, LIGHTSABER DUELS.

Rayman Raving Rabbits. I kind of stopped paying attention here as it's just more minigames. My level of care is low.

Call of Duty: World at War. FPS should be good on the Wii but they suck. It's sad. Oh well, I'll probably give this a trywhen it comes out.

I forget if Animal Crossing was before this I think it was part of the paradigm shift spiel. Either way, Animal Crossing for the Wii. If you didn't like it before, it's still fucking terrible. If you liked it before, you'll probably like this. Also, there's WiiSpeak, which is really just a speaker as far as I could tell. No, Nintendo, not revolutionary please shut up.

There was some talk by Reggie on how awesome Nintendo is because Wii and DS sales are through the roof and they have the highest software sales (though lowest games per system ^^). I wonder if they counted WiiSports and WiiPlay purchases for that. Hm.

They then went into some stuff about the DS. Notably was the "new" DS ... which is the "old" DS but now it can double as a PDA or something. I have a Blackberry so I didn't care too much about this (and I think there's homebrew apps to do it too). Neat, I guess, for the market that cares about it. Also some stuff about the Male:Female DS ratio (70 : 30 in 2005, 54 - 46 in 2006, and 52 - 48 in 2007. I don't care.).

And then the big unveiling ... new DS games! Except one's old and the other sucks. Fuck. Guitar Hero: On Tour - Decades has song sharing and I glossed over as I didn't like On Tour despite being a fan of the genre. Go figure. The other demo was Spore Creatures; personally, Spore doesn't interest me as I'm not a fan of the Sims (though I'll end up buying Sims 3 anyway and giving it a try). If you like Spore, you'll probably like the idea of Spore on the DS ... I guess. I have no idea. It didn't sound fun.

They also announced Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for the DS. I am confused. My friends I am speaking to about this are confused. I think it's time for a drink and it's not even noon.

[Edit: OOPS FORGOT THIS ENTIRE PIECE ^^]
Reggie's back! Hurray! NEW DS RIG...oh, MotionPlus. Fuck. I knew about this already. Okay, demo of it with Wii Sports 2 ...er, Resort. Good stuff, I guess. It really does seem to be a close to 1:1 of capturing motion so hey, this is a HUGE step up to me as my main Wii complaint is how gimicky the motion sensing feels as it just makes games suck horribly and I'd rather just use the normal analog controls.

Okay, first Wii Sports demo is throwing a frisbee. She's pretty terrible at it but it's mimicking her terrible petty good. Reggie demos some waveracer-type game but it doesn't really show the MotionPlus too much since it only really shows his Mii's hands moving on the wheel and they're not a big part of the screen. Final game demo'd from Wii Sports Resort is a sword duel, though it starts with using a Katana to sharpen a Pencil?

Anyway, the movement follows pretty damn well barring the fact he swings too fast and the game appears to try to be "realistic" and doesn't mimick the chain swinging. They then demo an actual duel and it's not bad but they don't show their movements as much as how it looks on screen. I don't care how it looks on screen. I want to see how they look doing it and how it looks compared to them. They both swing like spaztic monkeys so it's pretty hard to tell, though the blocking seemed fluid! I want to give this a try as it seems cool to do when horribly wasted.

And then the big unveil ... Wii fucking Music. It's terrible folks. Maybe I need to see it in action but the best way I can describe it is this:

Take Rock Band. Play the game and try acting your parts. Now, turn the game off but keep going. Okay, now, stop pressing buttons. Okay, still moving? Good ... there's WiiMusic.

Your motions play the music to an already selected song; you can't fail and from what I could tell, it really couldn't care less how you actually moved, just so much as you did. Seems terrible and the drummer guy had a stupid haircut I was fascinated by every time they showed him.

In short, it was pretty horrible but I'm pretty biased against the whole "non hardcore gamer" type of games so take this with that train of thought.

Kotaku has a blog of it if you want more details: http://www2.kotaku.com/5025295/nintendo ... e-liveblog

Edit: Sony starting so I'll probably type my thoughts in here as it goes because it seems the cool thing to do with billions of liveblogs and shit.
Last edited by scy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:31 pm

Zai
Wyvern

Postby Zai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:37 pm

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:45 pm

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 pm

Zai
Wyvern

Postby Zai » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:11 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:06 pm

SONY STARTING OMG I'm bored so typing up mah thoughts as it plays ^^. I'm putting it all in a spoiler since it's gi-fucking-gantic.

[spoiler]Great, The controller icons are flying around. This is entertaining. Actually, I'm more interested in this than Nintendo's so maybe the triangle can go totally psycho and kill an audience member.

Start they're going through a bunch of games. Time Crisis, Bioshock (?), Socom, Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Killzone, Guitar Hero, FEAR in the opening montage. Oh fucking boy. I thought 360 was the OH LOOK FPS shit.

I didn't catch the guy's name (Jack Tretton?) but I doubt you care. Apparently he's trying to be funny. I think he fails but whatever. I'm a dick right now so it's cool. Great, he's telling us some history of the stage he's on. Hahaha THAT'S WRONG BAD JOKE I LAUGHED ^^. Sorry haha.

Solid Snake, Nathan Hale, Kratos...Sack boy? I know the rest what the fuck is that. LEL BIGGEST EXCLUSIVES IN THE INDUSTRY ^_^ ^_^ ^_^. Sorry, I laughed. Okay, history of the Playstation name brand that's great. Did I miss E3 being a history lesson? Hey he mentioned Ico, he just got shitton of points. Shadows of the Colossus too. OH MAN THEIR NEXT PROJECT FINALLY? Okay, apparently he mentions this as a way to say, "We expected this for the PS3," on the slow move to it. Okay, that's cool I don't care. Let's get to the games.

(Cell Processor push makes me chuckle since I remember IBM coming by A&M my freshman year to talk about it for the PS3. Good shit. I don't care though).

"Games like MGS4 aren't just exclusive on the PS3, they're ONLY possible thanks to blu-ray." orly?! That was said to FFXIII too wasn't it? :)

"Playstation in 2008 is all about software." I hope so. SHOW ME THE GOODS. Wait, why is he talking about GTA4 about PS3 stuff? More talk about MGS4. I think I know how this is going to shape up.

"Exclusive DLC is nice but exclusive games ..." HAHA ^_^ Also, says PS3 has more exclusive titles ... too bad you keep losing them.

Okay, starting off with PS3 stuff. Finally. I feel stupid for typing everything above but, whatever. Insomniac's Resistance 2 leads off the PS3 "future." It's loud and looks pretty nice, actually. I haven't played Resistance 1 yet though but hey, FPSs are interesting fun sometimes, if a bit beyond mindless. Showing off some combat against what looks to be a really huge fucking monster. Not very exciting to watch but I will say I'd like to play this kind of combat ... though it's definitely a huge suspension of disbelief.

Okay, some talk about Resistance's story by Ted Price; the monster is a Leviathan and may not be the only one in the game? Pretty fucking sweet. 8 player online co-op, 60 player online multiplayer. Nice. Some more talk about giant enemies and huge locale as the game traverses the states; interesting but I'd rather more gameplay footage. Irony, I type that and he announces a new trailer for Resistance 2 haha. Trailer looks pretty nice and he does indeed speak truths about giant fucking enemies. If nothing else, it'll serve to be fun for those gamers who just want to kill really big shit.

Okay, Jack's back out. "When historians look back on this time in history ..." what the fuck? Talks about user generated content and Little Big Planet and oh, that's where Sack boy is from. Hahaha. Oh well. No idea about this but it sounds pretty cool and I'm somehow confused I didn't know more about it. "Uniquely Playstation 3."

Alex Evans from Media Molecule (? name right?) demos some Little Big Planet. Random plug of them having "three champion" consoles by Jack. Good job, good job. Okay, the Little Big Planet stuff is really interesting showcasing some stuff in the game and it looks highly stylish. I can't say much about it but instead of a Powerpoint presentation, they're using Little Big Planet to do the numbers. 5 "BILLION" units despite the image saying 5 Million ... haha ^_^. More number push, jesus christ. I will say this Little Big Planet stuff is interesting as they replaced a normal presentation with it and it's pretty fucking awesome in ways I can't describe.

$29.99 retail price for Greatest Hits PS3 games (Resistance, Motostorm, Warhawk, CoD3, Fight Night, Need for Speed, Rainbow Six Vegan, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma). Again, the LBP looks fucking beautiful though ... to be honest, it doesn't seem very fun if you don't feel like creating something massive (ie, like sanbox stuff). We'll see I guess.

PS2 stuff at E3 I'm surprised. Honest. 130 titles planned for PS2 in 2008 apparently. Okay, some titles: NCAA Football '09, Tiger Woods Pro Tour '09, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Warriors Orochi: 2, Slingstar Pop Vol 2, Yakuza 2, Madden 20 Years, Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. Hrm, pretty boring list :x. "Social gaming" and "$129" mentioned I guess to take a bite out of the Wii. Did he just mention Eye-Toy? Seriously?

Oh god, mentioning Buzz. What the fuck is Buzz. I don't care. What the hell is this. PSP version of it and PS3 in September. PSNetwork theme packs (I thought DLC didn't matter?). Slingstar stuff. Is anyone actually giving a damn about these here? Maybe I just don't "get" these games but who knows ... and I'm asian I should love Karaoke.

Lego Batman PS2 bundle with Lego batman + Justice League: New Frontiers DVD for $149 in the Fall. I guess this is good as the Lego games are pretty damn fun and you even get a free DVD-Coaster.

Playstation Network talk now. Single sign-on ... not sure what this really means (someone with a PS3 fill me in on this? I assume it's for PS2 -> PS3 stuff). Just number talk so far (180M total downloads since 11 / 2006) that doesn't amount to much. "What's an E3 conference without some surprises..." ooh ... interesting.

...Playstation Network game; Ratch and Clank Future: Quest for Booty. R&C games are pretty damn fine. A sequel to the prior game apparently (Tools of Destruction). I don't get why "picking things up with the Wrench" is such a big deal but who knows. I haven't played an R&C game in awhile due to not having a PS3 so I have some catching up to do :( $14.99 "this summer" and another mention of exclusive titles. Seriously man ... let it go.

"We don't like filling up our library with useless games that noone plays just to say we have more." HAHAHA. I love this guy.

Okay, PS3 game showcase. Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty, Crash Commando, FAT princess (actually looks like an interesting Action game), I didn't catch the title of this one as the font was weird as shit and it looks weird sorry, Pain: Amusment Park (PS3 owners are masochists and sadists?), flower, Siren: Blood Curse, Ragdoll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic (...useless games to ... oh whatever). I assume these are PSN titles since they look pretty weak. Flower especially as all it showed was a field and then a flower landing ... ?

"Anyone can see our amount of exclusive content..." ... ^_^

Gran Turismo 5 with a revolutionary feature ... GranTurismo TV. I guess that's interesting. Anyone want to fill me in on what this means and why this is here as this game came out already didn't it? Okay, it's about GT TV which is apparently showing real life stuff from racing events and stuff? Hrm. Weird. Just seems to be a channel of high-end car stuff, though I guess interesting if you like that sort of thing. Again, more talk about exclusive content. Seriously man ...

Talk about trophies for score tracking stuff ... hrm. Okay, Playstation Home ... "Your patience will be rewarded." Great? Video shown of PSH but definitely not something I care about. Isn't this just a glorified 3d chat room? Oh well.

Some more talk about PSN and downloading videos and their support. I still think the Netflix announcement is better. $1.99 per episode, $2.99 - $5.99 rental movies, $9.99 - $14.99 for purchases. Showcasing some stuff for the Playstation Store but not much to say here since it's not much to be impressed with honestly. That said, it looks pretty similar to Live's Marketplace if you want (listed alphabetically) but a bit improved. Not very interesting but it's definitely a nice feature to be able to straight rent / buy stuff, though most would probably download and stream >>. Also, moving stuff to the PSP through this is nice (or moving it TO a PC) but, again, I bet people already do it anyhow.

Back to Jack. I wonder if he's going to call the PSN exclusive content ... and no ... not yet. Damn. Apparently this stuff with the Store is going up tonight.

Okay, PSP stuff now. "From a portable gaming experience, there is no equal." Yeah, about that ... The media capabilities I'll give you though ^^. Yet another PSP bundle for October--Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. Silver PSP, National Treasures 2 UMD, 1GB, Rathet and Clank: Size Matters for $199. Oh boy.

New PSP title -- Resistance : Retribution. Hrm, didn't we already do this Resistance thing today? Anyway, it seems to be atyple third-person shooter. It doesn't look bad for a PSP game actually. Spring 2009 release date.

EXCLUSIVE CONTENT?! JACK?! Maaan, what a failure. New PSP titles showcased: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Madden '09, Loco Roco 2, NBA '09: The Inside, Super Stardust: Portable, Lego Batman: The Videogame (as opposed to ...?), Patapon 2, Buzz! Master Quiz (no, seriously...), Valkyria Chronicles (oh man, this looks beautifully celshaded anime-style art).

Some more stuff about PSP - PS3 - PSN synergy. And, back to the PS3 OH MAN IS THIS IT?! THE BIG NEWS?!

...wait, did he just say open platform and Google? Oh god ... no. Live news feeds -- "Life with Playstation" by the end of July. This ... doesn't sound that interesting to me but ... I'm ... whatever. SoE mentioned hahaha ... oh god, where is this going.

DC Universe: Online. "SoE has a remarkable history in MMOs..." OH GOD HAHA. Jim Lee inc for DC Universe: Online. Anyone here give a shit because I haven't trusted an SoE MMO for awhile ... even after years of EQ (EQ2 did okay eventually ... though Gallenite / Scott Hartsman eventually left T.T). Bringing up some old EQ memories (first Fiery Avenger on his server haha). I'm so left alone for understanding what he means.

I like this guy. He's interesting. That said, City of Heroes sucked horribly and I expect the same for this, merely because there "can't" be permanent event stuffs that alter the universe since ... well ... it doesn't make sense for the DC Universe, unless they state SOMEWHERE this is intended to be totally non-canon and fuck continuity. I will say it looks pretty damn good for an MMO in terms of visuals but ... we'll see for content.

Oh man, JACK IS BACK EXCLUSIVE CONTENT?! ... damn it, no. 80 GB is their primary focus; September, 80 GB PS3 the same price as the 40 GB PS3 ($399.99).. That's actually pretty cool but I assume this 40GB model is the one without the full backwards compatibility? Oh well, just makes my PS3 cheaper when I buy it ^^.

Some talk from developers about PS3 when it came out and now, about Cell Processor + Storage. Unrelated but they show some Prince of Persia footage and it's beautiful ^^. They mention a lot about the HD space but that's moot since the 360 is getting it now too. A lot of talk about what the PS3 CAN do for the future. Interesting stuff, though it's hard to tell what they "mean" and what they're "told" to say. Either way, a lot of it's true so it's probably the former.

JACK IS BACK MORE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT TALK THANK YOU FOR DELIVERING ^_^.

2008 PS3 line-up, and I assume the end: Little Big Planet, Motor Storm: Pacific Rift, Metal Gear Solid 4: Sons of the Patriots, Quantum of Solace (007), Socom: Confontation, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Soul Calibur IV, Resistance 2, the agency, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, Mirror's Edge (is fucking gorgeus), Resident Evil 5, Singstar, Guitar Hero: World Tour, NBA '09: The Inside, Buzz! Quiz TV, Killzone 2 (really in-game footage this time!), Fallout 3 (is gorgeus) and Eternal Sonata (I think? It looked like Chopin) shown at the end but not named, which is weird.

God of War 3 for the PS3 announced. Trailer for it shown. I think this is amazing. The trailer doesn't show much as it's just cutscenes but those are pretty damn gorgeus. Ugh, where's mah gameplay footage!

Also, inFamous (Sucker Punch studios) is shown off which he says was debuted last year. I do not recall this. Again, another top-notch visual game and if their past games are any indication, this is bound to be very fucking fun. Looks to be a bit more Supernatural version of Crackdown if you played that with Fable style choices. Spring 2009.

One final title ... Massive Action game that is apparently fully taxing the PS3 (fuck, already?) but that's proably just random talk. Some guy (Andy something) from Zipper Interactive called ... oh shit, Massive Action Game is the name rofl. 256 players (WTF?!), squad-based (8 players) led by a player that "has proven themselves", Character growth as well (I assume classes). Preview trialer is fucking smokinghot which I bet means nothing as I've said it so many god damn times but seriously. It looks amazing.

Christ this was long.[/spoiler]

Kotaku Liveblog link that's probably tons more professional than this random "why not" deal: http://www2.kotaku.com/5025436/sony-e3- ... e-liveblog

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:10 pm

"Casual" and "Hardcore" are tags thrown about a lot that mean little in general; I use "casual" to refer to things like party games. Stuff who's only purpose is with other people. They're not my cup of tea, if you will. It's probably not even close to the appropriate term but saying I hate "social" games makes me feel ... well, anti-social.

I enjoy them at times but I don't care about them when another gets released. Since I used it a lot in the Wii E3 thing, I just mean stuff like I don't give a damn about Wii Sports 2, despite all the drunken nights I can see with it, and Wii Music. To me, those games are nothing but waste of space. Whilst they may be fun in their own right, I can't imagine caring for them.

I'd also put the Brain Age, Picross, etc. type of stuff in the "casual" column but more in the sense of stuff you can pick up and play a few minutes at a time kind of deal. Also, TWEWY easy? Bah, I got reamed early on figuring out the controls (or, rather figuring out to not care about trying to maximize both screens at once). Then again, I kept it on the hardest difficulty whenever I could and kept my level at 1 at all times >>.

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:32 pm

49 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”