Retro Gamers rejoice :D

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:14 pm

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:55 pm

As someone who's put waaaay too many hours into Melee and Brawl, especially considering I don't own either, I definitely have to disagree. Whilst the GC controller IS comfortable, I like the shape of the 360/PS2 controller more ... button placement too.

Now that I think about, barring my MMO days, I think Melee / Brawl actually have the most hours I've logged on a game and I don't even own the games (or a Wii for Brawl; bought my GC well after I stopped playing Melee though prior to my roomate's Wii and Melee madness earlier last year). That's kind of ... sad.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:03 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:33 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:10 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:19 pm

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:27 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:32 pm

I guess maybe I have big hands and the people I know have big hands too? Never had an issue with the 360 controller, which is indeed about the same size (actually, it might be a little bigger) than the GC controller; I'm looking at them side-by-side and dimension wise, they're pretty much the same, though the 360 is a bit "thicker." The 360 controller IS heavier than the wired GC one, though I use Wavebirds exclusively which are pretty close in weight since they both use batteries.

Still, they're both tiny compared to the DC and old Xbox controllers which I may or may not be able to use as a tool to bash someone's head in. Not that I've tried or anything. ...

Anyway, as for ZSNES and other emulators with a 360 controller, it's fine; the wired one merely plugs directly into a USB port with no problem to the controller (it IS just another USB device after all) or the Wireless receiver plugs into the USB port and you just set that up. Works fine for any-and-all emulators as far as I know, though it's been awhile since I've fired up ZSNES to check if my 360 controller works there (though I assume it does since it works everywhere else).

As for "too many buttons," ... meh, it's only 8, which is one more than the Gamecube (L + R + Z, A + B + X + Y). My complaint is that they call them Right Bumper (RB) and Right Trigger (RT) and I never could fucking remember which is which when I got my 360 (RB is "closest" to you, RT is "furthest" from you). RB = R1, RT = R2!

*Note: 10 if you count depressing Left Analog and Right Analog but I don't count that like I won't count the C-Stick for the GC >>*

Edit: Just to clarify something, I love the Wavebird as a controller but I don't like the button placement for emulating games. I also hate the GIANT A BUTTON as ... a game that doesn't use it as the primary has it randomly being way too fucking big. I dunno, I just never saw a point in there being a giant button there >>.

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:53 pm

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:04 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Uh ... my GC totally has an X and Y button ^^ Also, if you're going to count "depressed" RT and LT, then R and L have three different levels each on the Gamecube, though they do it better since it takes a little "extra" oomph to go from slighty depressed, "halfway", and then all the way. I've never had an issue in, say, GTA4 and free-aiming vs lock-on (partial vs full press) since it's a pretty different but it'd be nice to at least do the GC route of "stopping" before the full press.

Dead Rising was fucking god-awful on SDTV, though a bit better if you force it to Widescreen through the 360's settings (even on an SDTV). I bought an HDTV shortly after getting my 360 so DR wasn't a huge issue eventually but man ... my first playthrough? "WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ME TO DO, OTIS. WHY DO YOU BOTHER ME SO."

Start and Select (no, not Back, it's Select. Fuck you Microsoft, it's Select) I don't count as buttons, even back in the old days >>. Mostly because they didn't have a huge in-game use. "Home"--I know it has a name but man, I can't think of it ... though it might just be Home--is just a way to get back to the dashboard / quit out of a game. It's also the coolest feature ever to turn on a console remotely. >>.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Oh yeah XD Like I said, I'm sitting here at work trying to remember what these controllers look and feel like. I forgot about X and Y in my list. But, yeah, still not as complex as the 360's setup. Not a huge deal, I think it mostly boils down to the fact that 360 developers seem to want each button to do two or three different, crucial things. Like GTA4 is a perfect example of this.

Yessss on Dead Rising! I read about the widescreen ability but said Eff'it, I just wanna smash zombies with traffic cones.
I have a friend with a giant HD projector in his badass living room that has a 12 foot screen. He just got Dead Rising and I keep begging him to let me watch him play -- I love to watch that game way more than I actually want to play it.

The remote turn-on feature is amazingly handy. I kinda like the ability to have different log ins and kinda don't. And I think achievements are going to ruin everything for everyone everwhere. The TF2 achievements certainly are -_- I think achievements also ruined Beautiful Katamari.
Online gaming I hate you so much.

34 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”