AAAAAARGH!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

116 posts
scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Hah, that's true. Console FPS also tend to auto-aim / auto-correct so aiming isn't as difficult. I suppose, in general, it's not exactly the hardest genre ever >>.

And while in-motion Wii games look good, it doesn't change the fact the hardware is going to limit the way they look shortly (well, already). Yes, lighting and other "tricks" can smooth things over but at the end of the day, they're still going to look less appealing on an HDTV compared to a 360 / PS3. If you don't have one or aren't really concerned by less polished graphics, it's not a big deal. Personally, it just means that any cross-platform release I'll get for a different system; I just wish that, at very least, it was a bit more powerful so there's stuff to look forward to for the Wii in terms of visuals. As it is now, most the games coming out are pretty much at the limit or unique art styles (No More Heroes, MadWorld) to make it stand out.

Then again, if it means more quality games that don't rely on "LOOK IT'S PRETTY" to sell it, then it's fine. Just one of the small complaints, I guess, since I'm not a big fan of the waggle.

As for Dead Rising, meh; half the fun to me was the sheer amount of zombies on screen at once. Reducing that to some ridiculously low amount just kills the atmosphere of you versus the entire city. It's just not the same if you're dealing with ~20 zombies instead of 200 ... and I really want to know if they're going to reduce the blood from the psychopath fights (...CREEPY CLOWN?!).

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:44 pm

@Okami - my opinion on it was kinda mute. I have to wonder, though, if the way I play games didn't ruin the experience for me. I still haven't finished it yet. But, I tried to do s many of the side quests and would just plum get bored with it. Gorgeous game, ingenious idea - though the controls could be better - but, the storyline didn't seem that great, the characters weren't very fleshed out (don't even get me started on the noises they make), and things got really repetitive.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 pm

The noises ... oh god the noises Then again, it's pretty much the same crap the Zelda games do ... though I guess it's better than shoddy voice acting, as annoying as it is. I suppose it helps if you know any Japanese folklore since the game pretty much uses it as the story.

As for controls, they weren't so bad I felt ... though I did suck at the Celestial Brush system apparently (I DREW A LINE CUT THEM ALREADY). As far as I know, the Wii-port merely makes the Brush strokes Wiimote based as opposed to using the analog stick for them. In the end, it's just as frustrating, though I think the Wii version added some control (ie, made it easier to draw a damn straight line).

I haven't played the Wii version myself so I can't say much on it besides that >>. Then again, besides that, the game is pretty much the same as they added nothing extra besides the ability to skip cutscenes. Also, I believe the game is a bit "brighter" overall in colors but dimmer, if that makes any sense, due to them not being able to emulate the "filter" that the PS2 version did. It's pretty noticable (find a video, like to compare).

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:55 pm

@Dead Rising
I can't imagine reducing the on-screen zombie count. How on earth would you ever farm the tunnels for kills??
The game was impossible for me to play, but damn did I loooove watching it be played.

@Okami
Ya? I could see that. I went crazy in Wind Waker and started doing all the little Island quests and explored all the quadrants and was like "Triforce? Fuck that shit, I'm doing this canonball minigame!" and then never finished the main quest. >_>;

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:58 pm

I bet it'd make getting the "Saint" achievement infinitely easier >>.

"NO WHAT ARE YOU FUCKS DOING. STOP GETTING MOLESTED. OH MY GOD STOP THAT ARGH."
*cutscene of a survivor shooting themself in the head*
"I HATE YOU ALL."
*kills them all and reloads. Again.*

...now that I think about it, playing that game made me very frustrated...

Dan Smith
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan Smith » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:49 pm

To save all survivors with ease, just kill Adam. Seriously. Then get the three books to boost his saw. Every threat in the game is gone. Or you could just give survivors shotguns. Once they have those they tear shit up. Either way if they make a sequel, survivors gotta be smart this time around.

On kinda of a tangent, but somewhat related, so here it goes. Art direction can sometimes decide if I can enjoy a game or not. If I find it particularly bad, the gameplay itself has to make up for it. Killzone, a mediocre shooter, was made worse for me with the overall look ("aren't gray, black and brown GREAT GUYS?"). When added to a boring story, derivative foes, and choppy controls, the game fell short. The second one looks just as boring.

Although this can be just as bad in 2d games. Especially ones that are really influenced by anime. "NEEDS MORE LOLIS GUYS". That stuff is just stupid in my opinion. I don't wanna feel like Chris Hansen is gonna kick the shit out of me after playing some fighting game or something. I just wanna punch people damn it!
"I feel my blood rushing through my body. Yes, this is it, the feeling, it's coming back to me! The sensation of killing! The doom and darkness... The dark streets, they're calling me. Calling me to the ultimate ring!"

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Dan Smith
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan Smith » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:03 pm

"I feel my blood rushing through my body. Yes, this is it, the feeling, it's coming back to me! The sensation of killing! The doom and darkness... The dark streets, they're calling me. Calling me to the ultimate ring!"

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 pm

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:21 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Dan Smith
Bloodant

Postby Dan Smith » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:08 am

Hey isn't Arcana Hearts a fighting game just about fan service basically? I could understand that one. Don't even know what Heavenly Guardian is though.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 am

Dan Smith
Bloodant

Postby Dan Smith » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:30 am

I just assumed that cause of the way it was advertised (focusing on "anime beauties" or some shit like that). It's a fighting game though right?

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:47 am

I would say it's more of a shoujo game than a fanservice game.
-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:57 pm

116 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”