Discussion Thread II: Bots? What bots?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Trifkin
Manticor

Re: Discussion Thread II: Bots? What bots?

Postby Trifkin » Thu May 28, 2020 4:27 pm

I miss going to thrift stores. And book stores, although I really, truly do not need another book...

I'm okay. I go to the grocery store about once a week. Wear my mask, stay away from people. Get in, get my stuff, get gone.

I also got a new job in a Starbucks, which is fun but also weird. Frappuccinos are not what I would categorize as "essential." But my coworkers are great and the work itself is pretty satisfying for now. We do temperature checks at the beginning of every shift, wear masks, sanitize surfaces, et cetera. Our customers aren't required to wear masks but are "strongly encouraged" to do so. That part is not my favorite. I could rant about it but I'm trying to focus on the positive and stay in a grateful mindset where I can.

At home I spend my time listening to a lot of music, or YouTube videos, or podcasts. I'm writing a teeny bit more. Mostly journal-y stuff but also some screenplay type things. I've gotten into a little bit of hand sewing and I've also started writing letters! Let me know if any of you guys want one. : 3 I've got stationery for days.

SteelCrow
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SteelCrow » Fri May 29, 2020 9:45 pm

I have an update rant to give about my part-time FedEx job.
Up until just a few weeks ago, we were just rolling along as usual in springtime - I've been at this job for a few years - which is not very notable or different from most of the year. Then suddenly, our package numbers explode and we're behind.

Now the goal is to crank out as many packages as we possibly can every day. In the past I'd be lucky to hit 20 hours a week this time of year. Now I'm about to hit 30. We are also actively encouraged to volunteer for more days than we are scheduled; if I wanted to, I would easily reach 40 hours a week if I volunteered for it all. This is still just a part-time job that I get some benefits from, not a lot, but we are paid well.

Individually, the work itself is not much different. Unload trailers on time, don't miss scans, stay alert and safe, the works etc. But there's some kind of uneasiness that's started to creep in. Everyone gets a 30 minute lunch break so we can legally work >6 hours. A lot of new people are getting hired to bolster the workforce. Yet we aren't quite hitting what managers say we need to, and find that some delivery trucks can't fit any more packages. Keep dispatching later and later.

I still don't fully understand where this comes from. I have noticed numerous packages that were handled the day or days before, getting cycled back through the system. FedEx is structured to move and deliver packages, not store them. I theorize that businesses and people aren't open to accept or won't accept their packages. That worries me because the reasons they won't, won't change in the near future, and the longer a package remains in the system, the more likely it is to get damaged. And let me tell ya, packages get damaged. Mostly simple retapes are enough, we do many of those. But every day a few packages are straight up undeliverable. Those sadden me.

I've been long-winded again. Sorry if I am tedious, or thanks if you are listening.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Fri May 29, 2020 10:08 pm

I don't think you were being tedious! It's good to vent sometimes.

I hope they don't put too much on you guys. I already thought that kind of job was tough, so I can't imagine keeping up with the demand nowadays.

SteelCrow
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SteelCrow » Sat May 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Thank you, I feel a little better.

A letter sounds cool, I would like one of those. You need my name and address in a PM, right?

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:49 am

I can at least give a little perspective from a business side! We (Spectrum) have been doing thousands upon thousands of shipments per day across the country basically non-stop since the start of the pandemic. To the point that I know we're having plenty of shipping delays simply because of too much stuff being sent out; we've gone from a 1-3 day turnaround to many areas still being 10-12+ days out.

We're not the cause of all of the shipping issues but I imagine any and all ISPs that also mail out equipment are very much in the same boat for hitting the delivery services hard. And then you have all the other businesses and then the normal residential services. It's definitely a lot and the infrastructure probably isn't there for _this_ level of slammed.

Thanks for what you do and I'm sorry at the extra workload you're going through!

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:00 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:33 am

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

(casually 12 hours later oops)

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:07 am

I just sent Trifkin a letter the other day, the hunter has become the hunted!

Also hey Scy, long time no see, not that any of us are particularly active these days.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:37 pm

8) Cool. Beans.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:00 am

LOOK AT THIS AMAZING PIECE OF ARTISTRY ZAMISK SENT MEEEEEEE:

Zam, I'm sorry*, but I'm afraid I'm gonna have to commission a whole series of these from you at some point.

*but also not sorry? lookatitit'samazing

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:00 am

Thanks! It was fun working on something EO again.

-PLA

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 pm

That's gorgeous Zamisk!

[ | | | | ]

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Hey, thanks! If anyone else wants one, I'm happy to draw you something... For money! 8)

-PLA

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Hopefully all the Americans on the forum had a good time with the explosions and fire and parades yesterday!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:56 am

it was less than ideal but i don't mind the odd warzone ambiance

11697 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”