What inspires you?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
10 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

What inspires you?

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:44 am

So, how about it? Anyone have something they would want to share (no matter how pathetic) that inspires them to do something (anything).

Me, I have three things that inspire me to want to write. I don't care how many times I've watched these shows or listened to this CD, every time I hear them my mind wanders and my hands get that urge to either pick up a pencil or to open up my word document on my computer:

The Labyrinth
Willow
Myst III: Exile Soundtrack

XD kinda pathetic, huh?

And what inspires me to get out of bed every morning? The knowledge that MAYBE I can hit upon some free time to write something in a story.

(*sigh* and I made this topic 'cause I was popping in the Labyrinth so I could go off on a writing escapade... have it up in a little box at the corner of my screen with my document beneath it. ... This is how I spend a Friday night at 12am....)

[] - [] - [] - []

slipgate ranger
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby slipgate ranger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:24 am

I always think of cool things to do when I'm listening to music, going through a sketch book of any kind, or watch animated films such as Lilo and Stitch. While I am kind of lazy, and just let those thoughts pass because of a lack of drawing or writing ability, I've been inspired by Rob Schrab countless times.

Rob Schrab started out as a comicbook illustraiter, and wrote and drew the indy classic Scud: the dissposable assassine. Some of it was based of a mixture of watching a whole mess of action movies, and a little was based on Robs personal life, such as a girl leaving him.

About Scud: Scud centered around a world where violence was almost an everyday thing. One special way to get rid of someone was to buy assassine robots through vending machines, and these were called Scud. The best thing about them was, after the job was done, they would self destruct, so leaving you with no worries. The story centured around , and his target was a female squid monster known as .

While fighting, Scud had to retreat to a bathroom, and noticed something on his back saying, "Attention Scud disposable assassine heartbreaker series 1373. This unit will self destruct upon termination of target" . After learning of his demise, he desided to just wound Jeff, and send her on life support. The comic was about Scud working as a freelancing gun for hire, to pay Jeff's medical bills.

Rob Schrab had some persona things going on in his life while making the comic, and from issues 17 - 18 the were starting to get dark. Issue #20 was Rob's last issue, and it ended in a cliffhanger, because Rob was just sick of doing the series. After that, he spend a few years with his buddy Dan Harmon, and together they founded Channel 101. Rob also made an independant movie, made two shows on Channel 101, co written Monster House, and started to write for The Sarah Silverman program.

Without talking too much, Rob decided that, after 10 years, he would decide to end the Scud series. . This always touches me, and is kind of incouraging. While I haven't stuck with him since the first issue, I kind of wish I did. So for anybody reading this, go get Scud: the whole Shebang...why? Not only did Rob work hard on each issue, but the comics are just down right fun, and full of energy, almost to the point where the pages could just explode at any minute.

Even if your not into comicbooks, if you are into action, guns, robots, aliens, or obscure things, I reccomend it.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:45 am

It depends.

My life is inspired by love. I see people, I do things, I survive and laugh and live because I have people that I love.

My creative outflow, like writing, is inspired by nearly everything. I have a folder stuffed full of inspirations -- images or pictures that I wanted to save for later, little scribbled ideas, maybe nothing more than a quote or scene between two unknown characters. I have scraps of paper, marginalia of notes, hastily scrawled notes...
History, maps, images of Europe... I see these things and I want to experience the world!

History is such a big inspiration to me. World cultures, old societies -- the ritual, the mundane... Their structures, their beliefs and values, the language and cuisine.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Vedruk
Ragelope

Postby Vedruk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:45 pm

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Vedruk
Ragelope

Postby Vedruk » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:48 pm

...Ahem. Killer robots and the End Times. Which is to say, all world-ending type scenarios.

The Apocalypse isn't just a theme, it's a way of life.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 pm

I am mostly inspired by nature, dreams, and music (among other media).

I can look at water flowing over rocks and be absolutely amazed. I can see the world in my head and be amazed. I can listen to amazing songs and be amazed. All of these things put (or are) visions in my head.

Dario
Fenrir

Postby Dario » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm a shallow mind that gets excited about the most blatant things.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:53 pm

That certainly doesn't mean you're shallow.

10 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Discussion Section”