Words and languages

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Lumnaya
Ragelope

Words and languages

Postby Lumnaya » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:42 pm

What languages do you know?
Do you have any favourite words or languages?

✿

I know French, English, a little bit of German¹, a little bit of Swedish² and a tiny bit of Japanese³.

¹ I was taught German in school instead of English because I live near the border. I had abandoned it after graduating because the declensions were such a bother… I picked it up again years later when I realized it could be useful. Now I can understand some of it, but I'm still unable to hold a conversation easily or construct a correct sentence quickly; what I need is more practice.

² As a result of trying to find courses that fit into my schedule at university. It turned out to be fun and relatively easy though! So I kept following the courses the Scandinavian studies offered.

³ All but useless now, since I was more curious than committed and have forgotten all the vocabulary… but it was interesting to get to know a language that works in a completely different way from the ones I'm used to.

If I had to take up another language now, I'd probably try one that's completely different too.

✿

Some words I like or find useful:

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Words and languages

Postby Kimiko » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Dutch is my native language. Being from a small country right between three big countries, we learned English, French and German in school ("middle school", but age-wise it corresponds more closely to what USAians call highschool). English I always found quite easy, but I didn't really like German and French and dropped them after fourth grade (age 15/16). I've used those two languages only a few times afterwards, German more than French. I can usually figure out what a text is about without much trouble, but writing or speaking are hard.

Oh, almost forgot Latin. I had five years of that in middle school, but never liked it. I scored only a 6(/10) on my graduation exams. The only thing it's useful for is knowing the etymology of words really, and I could've done without the endless grammar for that. Classic Greek I had only one year of. About the only things I remember from that are the alphabet and a few words.

I've been trying to learn Japanese off and on for the last decade or so, but I find it hard to stick with actual studying from textbooks, so most of what I know of it is from anime. And lol @ the くノ一 thing. I use it to remember that the horizontal stroke goes last in the 女 kanji ^_^
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 pm

I was taught French in school for 6 years, but that ended 14 years ago now and it's pretty much entirely gone. I started to learn from about 11ish through to 16ish.

I did one hour of German once a week for a year and all I can remember is Donnerstag which was the day of the week the lesson was on :/.

Foreign languages are not taken seriously at all in England.

[ | | | | ]

Lumnaya
Ragelope

Postby Lumnaya » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 pm

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 pm

I haven't learned any languages. They seem neat.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 pm

The only languages I can use to have a proper conversations are Finnish(mother tounge) and English(thanks games!).

Languages that I understand and can say few sentences here and there and maybe have a tiny bit of small talk:
Swedish(second mother tounge of anyone from Finland), Dutch(studied it for 5 years like 15 years ago..), Japanese (too many years of watching anime..).

Languages I have studied only 1 course(which is ~6 months):
Spanish, Russia. For both of these languages I can only say few words..

Mole-chan I....

6 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Discussion Section”