Need gift ideas

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Need gift ideas

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:29 am

:\ Okay. My dad's birthday is coming up and I'd LIKE to get him a XBOX360 game. Many of you might remember where I had an earlier topic just asking about games and how to tell if they were multiplayer or not. He STILL has not bought him a new game.

... Well, he did buy this Ace Combat flight game thing which was a piece of shit -_-; ... the controls were so dumb, even I couldn't play it.

Can people give me an idea or at least rate the choices I have.

Right now all I have is Gears of War <-- looks similar to Halo and I've heard it's got good ratings.

Maybe he'd like some super-hero games, too. There's one game with super heroes that can with the Xbox360 when he bought that he seemed to enjoy.

:\ I'm also going to try to find out if he'd like RTS games. I've heard about Halo Wars so I'm going to use that as a conversation starter to see if he even has a CLUE as to what they are.

He doesn't like sports, so madden and games like that are out (yeah... I know... a guy that doesn't like sports ^_^; .... rare, huh?).

... I dunno if they even MAKE these anymore but, anyone know any good fishing simulation games..... for 360 or computer is fine, too.......

No anime stuff. He HATES the stuff. Anything with anime-art is going to be on his instant-hate list. I don't think he's too much into rpgs, either. Mostly, I think he's wanting another multiplayer to enjoy with his kids other than Halo3.

This list can/will be carried over for Xmas ideas, too. I hate how his birthday is November 1st. >_<

[] - [] - [] - []

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Need gift ideas

Postby noodles » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:22 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:56 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Paranoia
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Paranoia » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:32 am

Gears of war is one of the manly-iest games you can get, seriously you get to chainsaw a guy in half, BUY IT, NOA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB1wD9PHgS0

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:37 am

the manliest game ever is probably God Hand or Contra 4 or Duke Nukem 3D

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:01 am

Has Multiplayer:

Gears of War (and GoW2 is coming soon ...!)
Call of Duty 4
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (like most RV games, it IS pretty "tactical" shooter compared to other games)
The Orange Box (multiplayer more via Team Fortress 2)

No Multiplayer
Dead Space (worth noting it's pretty violent and a sort of horror game)
Bioshock

Personally, I'd vote CoD4 for a game with multiplayer and either Dead Space or Bioshock (or, hell, CoD4 too) for single.

Also, AC6 has awesome controls as far as the series goes (Hint hint: It's closer to a SIM game then an Arcade flier).

Edit: As far as superhero games go, MUA is about it I think. There's some shitty other games based off movies but, as said ... they're terrible.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:52 am

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:14 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:25 am

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:30 am

Both CoD4 and GoW approach the more "gritty" aspect of the FPS genre. Compared to them, HL2 is almost "cartoony" and "unrealistic." TF2 especially.

Between those two, I'd say CoD4 if only due to the game itself being better than GoW in my opinion. Frankly, a lot more "jaded" reviewers and such actually LIKED CoD4 as opposed to GoW.

It's also a bit more "realistic" than GoW. As much fun as the Lancer (ie, CHAINSAW BAYONET) and such is ... it's just annoying to have a game where shit takes 20 rounds to kill >>.

Edit: I'd say to find some videos (or reviews) to see which is more appropriate here. Especially negative reviews, though you may have some trouble finding many for CoD4 honestly.

As for Burnout, saying it's a crashing game is a little misleading but ... the racing in it is SO less fun than the crashing. I mean, the game finds the optimal angle and EVERYTHING to watch you spin out of control and crash horribly when you so much as drive over a large pebble.

Zero Punctuation review of CoD4 since I found it funny (and, hell, if Yahtzee liked a game, it's a scary prospect):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOF-NG5WRs[/youtube]

Also,
Last edited by scy on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:32 am

Which one has better multiplayer?

[] - [] - [] - []

Paranoia
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Paranoia » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:35 am

Cod 4 hands down.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:37 am

*nods nods* *writes down*

Errr... question: what kind of multiplayer are they?

Co-playing missions is fun but fighting each other is even better. <3

Oh and how many players are allowed to participate? (we have three... sometimes four, but mostly three people altogether)

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:40 am

CoD 4 is definitely the better multiplayer; GoW has co-op but both have straight-up versus. As for the amount of players, both are irrelevant if you're only looking at 3/4 people as they both take far more than that.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:48 am

*nods nods* good good!! ^_^

Thanks so much!!

Maybe for Xmas I'll get him both GoW and GoW2 :3 but I think my heart is set on CoD4 as it's something I know he would DEFINITELY enjoy just from knowing the nature of the game itself.

[] - [] - [] - []

16 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”