What was your first FPS?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

What was your first First-Person-Shooter?

Doom
31%
Tom Clancy's [Insert Title Here]
No votes
Medal of Honor/Call of Duty/Brothers in Arms
No votes
Halo
No votes
Half-Life
8%
Wolfenstein
31%
MMO (War Rock, Counter Strike, etc.)
15%
Other
15%

Total votes: 13

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

What was your first FPS?

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:25 pm

Mine was the original Doom, back when I played it on my cousin's PC.

Onigiri
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Onigiri » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

( b^ .^)b o( º . º)o d(^ o ^)b o(º . º )o d(^. ^d )

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm

Xeranath
Ragelope

Postby Xeranath » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:03 pm

~The Ragin' Contagion~

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:22 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Yes, it must've been Wolfenstein 3D. I really got into FPS games back then and played most of them (including modpacks and extra maps etc.) up until the Quake II, Hexen II era.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 pm

I tried fitting in Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc., But I ran out of poll choices XD

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:45 am

Mine was GoldenEye for the 64.

Yup.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:00 am

^ Many still consider that the best console FPS or FPS in general. I wish I took the time to play with my brother while he was still under the same roof. :[

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:17 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:34 am

The original Doom. My memories of it are quite clear. I was only just getting into games at the time when i was a kid and my parents when to a computer store. I was NOT into computers at the time (we had never heard of internet before) and two people in the store had networked their computers together and were playing the game. It took me all of about 5 minutes to realize that the two boys weren't just playing the same game but they were playing TOGETHER. I think I asked them so many questions about the game that one of the boys got annoyed and let me sit down and have a whack at it. I sucked (I was 10?) and it's not that I liked the FPS (even now it's not my fave genre) but... XD I SO loved the fact that two computer players were vs each other.

Just thought I'd share that 'cause it's one of my funnier memories.

As for other FPS I've tried.... just Halo, some of Golden Eye, and a few others here and there, including some stuff at the arcade center in the mall. Like I said: I'm not fond of them and 9/10 I completely suck at them.

[] - [] - [] - []

Xeranath
Ragelope

Postby Xeranath » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Speaking of 007 for N64... Have you tried playing it recently? I have it and played it not too long ago And its nearly impossible to play because of the controls. I used to be awesome back in the day but now i cant even run a straight line. Im so used to the keyboard and mouse controls or a PS controller for games like that i cant even begin to play it with a N64 controller. But i must say that the graphics are damn good for its time!

Oh and also since were on the FPS topic..... Has anyone ever played Rise of the Triad for PC? Thats one of the best oldschool FPS out there. I think i might try to find a download for it somewhere. I doubt it will work with Vista though
~The Ragin' Contagion~

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:42 pm

Wolfenstein 3D. I was just about 10 at the time, the year it was released. I was over at my aunt's place and needed something to do, so I poked around her PC game collection and found W3D in her library along with a few instalments in the Wing Commander series, among other goodies.

For some reason, I mostly skipped over Doom and jumped straight into Quake. That, of course, lead to TF. Oh sweet glorious happy MegaTF times. A jetpack enthusiast was me. :D

And boooooo you didn't find a place for Duke Nukem 3D in that poll? Boooooo!

GoldenEye 64 was excellent for those large family dinners and other such gatherings, during which us kids would otherwise be idling around nagging our parents about the time. @Kinokokao: Yeah! A fellow Boris player!

I sorta got out of FPSes around that time, but lately my interest in this genre has been renewed by the likes of TF2 (finally!) and Bioshock, two games I bought an Xbox360 specifically for. Anyone else here looking forward to Bioshock 2?

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:20 pm

Yeah Boris! lol.

I haven't played it super-recently. I've only played one online FPS (TF2) and never play FPS otherwise, so the controls weren't difficult last time I did play GoldenEye... maybe a year ago? I haven't played any of the other FPS mentioned. I have Perfect Dark but only ever played the multiplayer with friends, never the actual storyline. I just don't like FPS games.

My fiance is looking forward to Bioshock 2.

slipgate ranger
Ragelope

Postby slipgate ranger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:25 am

First Person Shooters are what got me into gaming...well, Castlevania helped too. Although I will admit, they aren't as cool as they once were. I mean, back then, they had some pretty beefy single player content, as well as multiplayer...now a days, were just focusing on multiplayer more than single player.

Anyway, Hexen 2 was what got me into shooters, and I followed shooter style games since. I could name a lot of the FPS games that I grew up with...so I will.

Hexen
Hexen 2
Doom
Doom 2
Doom 3
Quake
Quake 2
Rise of the triad ((Trial version))
Duke Nukem 3D
Unreal ((The original))
SiN
MDK
Armed and dangerous
Time Splitters 2
Serious Sam 2
Marathon
Marathon 2
Marathon Durandel
The greatest shooter of all time>> Doom 64 <<The greatest shooter of all time

Unfortunately, all of the games after Unreal I only recently tried this year ((Except for the greatest shooter of all time)), or the year before that. It's sad really, because I can't seem to find any people that grew up with shooters like I did back then. It's either they hate it for some stupid reason, or that there not good with it. I don't mind them not liking it, but finding otakus who bash those style of games is much worse.

19 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”