Top 10 Favorite Games of all Time!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Xeranath
Ragelope

Top 10 Favorite Games of all Time!

Postby Xeranath » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:49 pm

Im curious to see what everyones favorite games of all time are. This counts any system and any region. If there is more than 1 release, please specify which one is your favorite...

Heres mine starting with my favorite of all time.

1. Final Fantasy II (IV), SNES
2. Dragon Quest/Warrior IV, NES
3. The Legend of Zelda, NES
4. Runescape, PC
5. Final Fantasy III (VI), SNES
6. Eye of the Beholder Trilogy, PC {I count all 3 as 1 because its basically all one game}
7. Castlevania Symphony of the Night, PSX
8. Metroid Prime, GC
9. Ultima 8, PC
10. Rygar, NES

Honorable Mentions...

Metal Gear Solid Series, PS2
Soul Blazer, SNES
Final Fantasy IX, PSX
Dragon Warrior III, NES
Chrono Trigger, SNES
Mortal Kombat II, Arcade
Killer Instinct, SNES
TEKKEN 3, PSX
Timesplitters 1&2, PS2
Eternal Darkness, GC
Breath of Fire 1&2, SNES
Carn-Evil, Arcade
Primal Rage, Arcade

This list could go on forever, ill stop now....

How about everyone else? Whats your top 10 favorite games of all time?
~The Ragin' Contagion~

Vapour Trail
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Vapour Trail » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:04 am

In no particular order, my top 10 for the time being. The first six are perennial favorites, while the remaining four are fairly new additions to my library. I've played them constantly over the past few months, though, so if they don't necessarily count as favorites I at least like the hell out of them.

SaGa Frontier
Shin Megami Tensei
Growlanser
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Final Fantasy X International
Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne Maniacs
Moero! Nekketsu Rizumu Damashii! Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Nanatsu no Shima no Daibouken
Mizuiro Blood
Kotoba no Pazuru Mojipittan DS

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:23 am

I couldn't really decide which game was better than which, so I kinda just put them into a top 10 order without too much thought >_>

12) Etrian Odyssey |DS|
11) Sonic 3& Knuckles |Genesis/Mega Drive|
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10) No More Heroes |Wii|
09) Jet Set Radio/Future |DC/XBox|
08) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness |PS2/PSP/DS|
07) Touhou Eiyashou/Imperishable Night |PC|
06) Megaman 4 |NES|
05) Bucky O'Hare |NES|
04) Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force |Genesis/Mega Drive|
03) Cave Story |PC/Wii|
02) Golden Axe II |Genesis/Mega Drive|
01) Ragnarok Online |PC|

Honorable Mentions:

* Streets of Rage
* Toejam & Earl 2
* Dragon Warrior/Quest
* Boktai
* Ico
* Earth Defense Force
* Pop'n Music
* Kirby's Dreamland
* Dynasty/Samurai Warriors
* Puyo Puyo
* World Cup Soccer
* Dead Rising
* BattleToads
* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
* Rocket Knight Adventures
* Road Rash

... and many, many more

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:10 am

Oh god... this is hard....

1. Kingdom Hearts series
2. Zelda series
3. Etrian Odyssey series
4. Dark Cloud series
5. The World Ends with You
6. Persona 3
7. Harvest Moon series
8. Soul Blazer
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Okami

^ subject to change at a moment's notice.

[] - [] - [] - []

Onigiri
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Onigiri » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:40 pm

Second that, Maxine. Very hard indeed:

01. Chrono Trigger
02. Chrono Cross
03. Dune II
04. Command and Conquer (the original game)
05. Golden Sun ( & Golden Sun: The Lost Age )
06. World of Warcraft ( + both expansions )
07. GrimGrimoire
08. Unreal Tournament GOTY
09. Folklore
10. Risky Woods ( Aaah, that brings back memories of the Amiga <33 )

Honorable mentions:

Doom I + II
Conquest Earth
Total Anihilation ( & TA: Kingdoms )
Pacman
Tetris
Digger
Alley Cat

Hehe, every now and then, I like to play those old DOS games <333
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

( b^ .^)b o( º . º)o d(^ o ^)b o(º . º )o d(^. ^d )

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:47 am

I answered this question on another forum a few weeks ago! I'll just paste it 'ere. :]

1) MOTHER - Famicom
In my opinion this is where the MOTHER series was at its prime. Shigesato Itoi was still a fresh writer, the composers were perfect, the Japanese were brimming with curiosity to pick up a game of a whole new direction. I love it, even to this day. The gameplay, without any of the modern gimmicks, is simply divine. The musical score, despite its limitations, is the most memorable. The story is enough to still bring tears to my eyes (then again, no different from MOTHER 3!). The characters are definitely no Summon Night but that didn't matter so much back then. With this game came a beautiful soundtrack, which was sung in English for a Japanese audience. is still one of my favourite songs!

2) Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Sword of Light - Famicom
This game defined strategy/RPG. It was mindblowing. Great story (the most important element to me for a game), fun gameplay, reasonable challenge, attractive characters... I just hope the DS remake comes out overseas!

3) Game & Watch Gallery - GameBoy
The Game & Watch games, created by the brilliant mind of Gunpei Yokoi, are what defines Nintendo to this day. They would be the first to utilize the d-pad, the first debut of Yokoi, simple yet fun gameplay and of course they went on to inspire the Game Boy and portable gaming there after. I still play the first Game & Watch Gallery and I still smile when I goof up on Fire. :]

4) Etrian Odyssey II - Nintendo DS
Borrowing from classic RPGs like Rogue or Bard's Tale, Etrian Odyssey is a different kind of dungeon crawler. There is a map, but it's blank! The player must draw each floor themselves using a convenient mapping system. The class selection is diverse and the armory system is nothing short of innovative. No more are the days where the player just sells things and makes money; materials at the armory go towards stronger equipment. With stronger monsters deeper within the labyrinth offering better materials, a good day of exploration is the best way to keep all five members of the party well geared... unless they encounter the terrible !

5) Metroid Zero Mission - GameBoy Advance
I'm really glad they went back and remade the first Metroid to show Samus has a soul and story. Previously, she was always kind of blank. This game, while not the most challenging, was a lot of fun! I also totally loved the part where Samus is without her power suit and only has a mere stun gun to defend herself. Fusion had better gameplay, though. :]

6) Super Smash Bros - Nintendo 64
Back before they added stupid stuff like air dodging and nearly no hitstun. I was exhilirated by the concept: get hit once and you're probably dead. Everyone understood this game and it was nice to see Ness again. ^___^ I really don't think Brawl is half as good.

7) Ragnarok Online - PC
I played this game since... beta 0.4. That means it's been like six or seven years of grinding to make more 99/70 transcendants... D: I like Korean games. They require a high tolerance to repetition but they're always fun. I don't like the female character design so much but that's probably just my inner feminist. I only stopped playing this year with the announcement of big changes.

8) Fire Emblem - Path of Radiance
This was a fresh step for the series. The 3d graphics, while great, were sometimes a little stale. Regardless, it was a delightful treat. With this game came Elincia, a character who I admire quite a bit. It was also the first Fire Emblem (not counting Tharcia 776 kinda) where the main character isn't a lord or of any high position. Just a random mercenary named Ike who would go hand in hand with Elincia, supporting each other along the way.
[spoiler]I was really upset at the ending of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn in which Elincia marries Geoffrey. Just some random knight captain with a 2d personality. T____T[/spoiler]
9) Dokapon Kingdom - Wii and PS2
This is a cool game. Pretty fresh on the market. I'll just put it this way; I haven't had multiplayer this fun in years. It's a game everyone can enjoy, even if they haven't tried Monopoly or an RPG before. The character designs are adorable and a plot that doesn't take itself seriously is only fitting! Did I mention the voice acting is hilarious? A cast of over-the-top and diverse personalities will make this a memorable game for years to come, granted they don't go and make a superior sequel!

10) Kirby SuperStar - Super Nintendo
Yikes. This game series has sure gone hill since Masahiro Sakurai left Nintendo. :[ It's a painful thought, which is why I then go and play this game. It reminds me of what he did in his time. Any Kirby game after he left Nintendo lacks the heart of a gamer who understood the true meaning of fun and love with a mind for good controls. The co-op mode in SuperStar is amazing, as well as the vast assortment of balanced powers to choose from. :3

ya

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:14 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Sawyer-736
Fenrir

Postby Sawyer-736 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:14 pm

mhhh I don't have a real oder but they will be

1- Etrian odessey 1
2- super smash bross
3- super smahs bross melee
4- S.S.B Brawl
5- metroid prime
6- MP echoes
7- MP corruption
8- RE Umbrella Cronicles
9- soulcalibur 2
10- pokemon colosseum

"Failure is not an option." "Just perfect..." "Not bad. Not bad at all"

"http://pallettribune.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5405"

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 am

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:59 am

oh man, it's good to know Gadget Trial is actually good, I was thinking of purchasing it on looks alone >_>

Texas Jedi
Ragelope

Postby Texas Jedi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Here are mine in no specific order. This includes series.

1) Warcraft 1, 2, and 3 and all expansions: I love these games. These are the perfect real time strategy games.

2) Knights of the Old Republic: It is unfortunate that the second one couldn't live up to the first one in awesomeness. If it had these two games would be the greatest PC RPG's of all time.

3) Baldur's Gates Series: The best PC RPG's of all time. Loved the characters, loved the stories, loved the game play, loved these games.

4) Chrono Trigger (edges out the SNES Final Fantasies) FF IV had the characters but a pretty bland story. FF VI had the story but besides a few characters (Celes, Cyan, Terra) most of them were bland. Chrono Trigger had the story and the characters. Best RPG of the SNES era period.

5) X-Wing/Tie Fighter: Takes my love of Star Wars and allows me to pilot the ships. I truly love these games, and I truly miss not playing them. I can't wait until I get up and running again.

6) Starcraft: Had a great story that truly hooked me into playing it. I can't wait until Starcraft II comes out.

7) Dragon Warrior/Quest III for GBA: This game in my humble opinion is the best in the series. I loved the story and the fact that you could create your own party. I also love the whimsical nature of the games. The GBA takes a great game on the NES and makes it better.

8) Mass Effect: I am currently playing it and have not beaten it yet. But I have loved every minute of this game. It makes me wonder how great Knights of the Old Republic II would have been if the KOTOR1 people didn't jump ship and create this masterpiece.

9) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: I can truly remember sitting in a theatre watching the trailer to this movie. That was the first time I can remember when a video game was advertised like that. I also got goose bumps the first time I saw the opening credits (Link riding Epona). To this day this is the only game I have ever bought the music for.

10) Super Metroid: I would rank this as the best game on the SNES. It took everything from the first Metroid and just made it better. It just edges out the Metroid Prime series because I think it was a better overall experience.

Honorable Mentions:
Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2: Great old school games that came very close to being in my top ten.

Final Fantasy IV and VI: Both are great games but they both take a back seat to Chrono Trigger.

Dragon Quest IV and VIII: I loved both of these games and I consider them both tied for second best in the Dragon Quest series of games. The inclusion of the party builder in the 3rd installment is the only reason why these games are in the top ten.

Might and Magic IV Clouds and Dark side of Xeen: Old school 1st person PC RPG's at their best. Just couldn't beat Baldur's Gate though.

Metroid Prime Series: I loved the fact that they took the game 3D. I also loved the 1st person perspective. What I didn't love was how easy most of the enemies, and bosses are. Super Metroid was just better overall.

Tecmo Super Bowl III: Loved this game. The Cowboys are the best team in the game!

Willow (NES): A movie based game that didn't suck. It was a fun little action RPG.

Ms Pacman/Galaga: I have spent many a quarter on these games.

Super Mario Galaxy: Finally, a game that can rival Super Mario 64. I think it does everything better than the 64. Just got edged out for the top 10.

Bioshock: I loved this game. This is one of the best 1st person shooters I have ever played.

Lego series of games: I love playing them with a second person. They are fun and challenging as well.
nothing to see here move along.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 am

<--owns several Zelda soundtracks

>_> I remember going to my friend's house just to play Ocarina and all I'd do was ride around the field on Epona.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 am

1-10) Changes all the time. I hate nostalgia. Etc. etc. etc.

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 pm

In order:

Final Fantasy Tactics
Fallout 3
Chrono Trigger
Valkyrie Profile 2
Fable II
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Etrian Odyssey II
Tales of Vesperia
Final Fantasy IX
Phantom Brave

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:08 pm

1. UFO: Enemy Unknown (DOS, a.k.a. X-Com UFO Defence)
Will probably always have a place in my heart. It invented tactical squad battle. And it was shockingly hard. But distinctly satisfying. I still mourn the day true X-Com games stopped coming out.
2. Fire Emblem 4: Geneology of HolyWar (SNES, fan translated only)
Easily the best FE, though Radiant Dawn is pretty good too (see ~8~).
3. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Windows)
Epic in a tin. 'Nuff said
4. Seiken Densetsu III (SNES, fan translated only)
I spent so much time creating team combos, it must be good...
5. Millenium 2.2 (Atari ST)
Its what got me into strategy titles when I was a nipper. And its still genius.
6. Fate/Stay Night (Windows, fan translated only)
A recent entry, thanks to Mirror Moons awesome translation. FSN is still the crown jewels of the visual novel genre, even if it's pushing on 8 years old.
7. Civilization 3 (Windows)
Better than 4, in my opinion. Especially with the fan-add ons.
8. Fire Emblem 10: Radiant Dawn (Wii)
It took everything that was right with 9 and made it even better. Though they nerfed Illyana, which makes me sad. I still used her over Soren though... T_T
9. Unreal Tournament '99 (Windows)
Still better than later ones, though 2004 was good too
10. Rune Factory 2 (DS)
I didn't play Rune Factory 1, but 2 is awesome. Its knocked Friends of Mineral Town from this slot.

Honourable Mentions (no particular order):
Master of Magic (DOS- Strategy),
Darklands (DOS- Stupidly Hard RPG),
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64- Adventure),
Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii- Beat 'em Up),
Command & Conquer 1 (PC- Real Time Strategy),
Deuteros (Atari ST- Strategy),
Various Touhou games (Windows, fan translated only- Curtain Shooter),
Worms World Party (Windows- Shooter/Party game),
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES- Turn Based & Real Time Strategy),
Both Etrian Odyssey's (DS- Dungeon crawl),
Pangya (Wii- Golf),
Tales of Symphonia (GameCube- Action RPG),
Timesplitters: Future Perfect (Gamecube- FPS),
Perfect Dark (N64- FPS),
Syndicate (DOS- RTS),
Bahamut Lagoon (SNES, Fantranslated- Turn Based RPG/Dragon care simulator),
The Sailor Moon RPG (SNES- Turn based RPG),
Princess Maker II (DOS- Erm, Scheduling?/RPG),
Crescendo (Windows- Visual Novel),
Kana: Little Sister* (Windows- Visual Novel).

Fuck that was a LONG list.

* I feel your pain, Riseatrance. Its worth mentioning for the sheer cryfest that it is.

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

42 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”