Dumbest games of all time

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

105 posts
Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hanyou » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:19 am

I think my main objection to TP was that it lacked personality. After The Wind Waker, that was just completely unforgivable. It didn't help that it was also linear, there was very little to do in the unpopulated Hyrule, and the items were pretty much just paint-by-numbers...no creativity in execution. Then again, I also feel that way about A Link to the Past...the game's just not as fun as the original Legend of Zelda or Link's Awakening.

Both LoZ and LA gave you this great sense of adventure, of childlike wonderment, that's completely lacking in ALttP. And maybe it's because I started with Ocarina of Time, but that's why I play Zelda games--for the humor, for the atmosphere, for the sense of discovery. All those little things. But for example, due to the horrid visual design of ALttP, I often felt deprived of feeling like I had accomplished anything when I reached a new area.

It's not a bad game, and I realize the debt us OoT fans owe to it, but I often wonder why it's hailed as the best in the series. Even Zelda II is a lot more fun IMO. Since it's so popular, I'm just going to admit that I'm probably missing something--but after spending hours of my life trying to figure out what, I'm still not getting anything on it. Much like TP, it's just a dry, lifeless experience for me.

As for Halo, I don't think it's a bad game. Really, the only FPS's I've ever enjoyed were Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Star Wars: Republic Commando (the last of which was heavily influenced by Halo, but did everything better). All other FPS's play the same to me, but by no means are they bad. I might not be the one to judge.

That said, some games in the genre do stand out. Bioshock looks unique. The rest of it's just a blur of shooting stuff up, strategy or not. Though I will say I enjoyed both Halo games more than the Half-Life ones.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:20 am

Zelda games have become more linear, hand-holding, and downright "put square block in oversized hole" bosses/puzzles/etc. as time progressed; really though, it's not like they were known for difficulty or anything but it is still a great disappointment to play through on what amounts to permanent easy mode.

As far as FPS games go, Halo is relatively generic though it did introduce (or at least popularize) certain elements of the genre that have become staples, notably being one of the first super-big console FPS games (as much as I love Goldeneye, Halo takes this crown). That said, if you dislike FPS games for whatever reasons, there's probably not too many FPS games that will change your opinion, much like RPGs don't offer much to those who don't like that genre. Fact of life.

[spoiler]Though it is worth noting that I wager 99% of the Halo hatred is the horrible, horrible, horrible fanbase around it and not so much the game itself. The gameplay, as far as an FPS goes, is fairly solid and rather fun; if you don't like standard FPS gameplay, then your opinion, unfortunately, is mostly invalid personally (rather, your negative opinion is invalid).

Not that I'm defending Halo or anything, mind you, just that if you hate the core game elements of a genre, it really means little to say you dislike a game within that genre. You can dislike other elements (pacing, story, design, etc.) but, really, if you just come out with "The game is boring" but you dislike all FPS games, it's a bit hard to take that with seriousness.

It'd be like me trying to give my opinion on hardcore Simulation games. Those games do not interest me in the slightest but, honestly, just how serious can you take my opinion of it when I dislike every single one of them?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That said, Bioshock is at least very atmospheric and contains a decent story behind it; that said, I can't really recall the last "OMG THIS IS THE BEST STORY EVER" game I've ever played. For the most part, it just needs to be mildly interesting enough for me to care and I'll play along. Cliche/generic is fine by me, really, if there's enough of a game for me to want to continue playing.

Not that I don't mind a good story; I really enjoy playing games for that, otherwise I'd probably just play all my games with voices off and skip cutscenes. Fact of the matter is, it only has to be mildly interesting for me to keep going. I don't care if it's a story conclusion I can spot a mile away as long as it hooked me somehow (and, really, it doesn't take much; a potential fucking romance subplot is enough most of the time).

I really can't remember the last game story I actually went "I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" as opposed to "THE GAMEPLAY IS FUN I WANT TO CONTINUE."[/spoiler]

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:03 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:33 am

Bioshock made me sad. I waited for well over a year with much anticipation. The story was phenomenal, but the actual gameplay... wasn't nearly what I was hoping for :(

For me, it was one of those games that you want to like SO badly... but can't.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:04 am

The atmosphere is what I like best about Bioshock. It, Gears of War and Orange Box were the initial three games in my Xbox360 library.

<--- not anti-FPS ^^

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:39 am

maaaan I keep forgetting how much I need Orange Box

...but what happened to HL2 Episode 3 ;~;

the ending of Ep2 was a giant FUCK YOU that leaves you shaken, wanting more ;~;

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Man. I need to play TF2 more. I bought the silly Orange Box just to play TF2 because I friend of mine had it, and it looked fun.

lol Medic.

As for Twilight Princess... it hasn't really grabbed my interest. I'm not very far into it, but still. Lttp and OoT are the best Zelda, IMO.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

caije
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby caije » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:34 pm

I would like a lot more FPS if they had a third person perspective option. I know that's not a FPS anymore but.... whatever. I loved Jedi Knight II. That is honestly the only shooter that I have spent any real time in and I spent a TON of time in that.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:04 pm

Does Oblivion count as a FPS? More like FPHacknSlash.

I liked watching my fiance play Bioshock...

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 pm

First Person Dungeoners ftw

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 am

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:26 am

I BET EVERYONE FORGOT ABOUT THAT GAME HUH

WHAT WAS IT CALLED? ETRIAN SOMETHIN?

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:00 am

LOL I HAVE NO IDEA

my fiance calls it the Maze Game

and says it looks like fucking torture

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 am

fufufu, he will never understand us, the hardest of core

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:39 am

I tried Etrian Odyssey II. I gave it a fair shot.

That is to say, I played a bit of the first dungeon before breaking down and crying. Not because it was hard, but more because I just felt like I was wasting my time.

That is to say, I was wasting my time.

It's one of those games I recognize for its greatness but will never enjoy, because I'll never be hardcore enough. ;-;

That said, I did play Phantasy Star I and even mapped out some of the dungeons...that game is hard as hell and similar to Etrian in a lot of ways. I guess the more conventional RPG elements are what drew me in though.

I really should give it another shot. It's a game that gamers should like.

105 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”