WHAT ARE YOU?!! (ethnicity thread)

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

noodles
ItL Moderator

WHAT ARE YOU?!! (ethnicity thread)

Postby noodles » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:46 am

ITT we share our ethnicity

"american" doesn't count. If you're white, say what country your people came from. If you and your family have been living in Germany for hundreds of years then go ahead and say German. Same goes for asians etc. If you are a mut of various stuff.....sucks for you, but try to share some things.

I am white, specifically of Irish decent with some Danish mixed in. I am descended from celts and vikings fuck year

my mom's side mostly came over during the great potato blight. My dad's side came over only recently...my great grandpa was born there

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 am

I'm from Earth, I think.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:06 am

As far as I'm aware, I'm the product of people mainly from Shanghai, Guangdong and Taiwan. I think my great grandparents are from inland, but I forget. I don't know about my ancestry beyond that point; I may well be partly something else, but in that sense, no one is pure.

(In other words: I'm Chinese.)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:29 am

Honestly, noodles, I think your boundaries simply cannot apply to all people. You ask for ethnicity based on "how long" and "what country". The truth is, some of us are so confuzzled with so many family ties that not only is it impossible to map them out it's impossible to know them.

My parents come from the back countries of Ohio (my dad) and West Virginia (my mom). There's obviously irish in our blood since my mom's hair is red. However, I have a german last name. Then there's some indian in me as well. I do not doubt that there is quite a bit of european. The rest is mere conjecture.

If you go by the wikipedia article you'll see within the first few lines a mention of Scottish-Irish. Well, I obviously know I have Irish so it wouldn't be a far stretch to assume that my family branches from this grouping as well. So, I have some scottish in me, too, as a possibility. Again, though, no confirmation.

It really is impossible, though, to trace my family tree (and therefore my ethnicity).
While my dad's side is pretty clear cut and they are in the process of mapping themselves out (fyi, my grandmother on this side is the one with indian blood in her), my mom's is impossible. My grandfather died not speaking anything of where he came from. And my grandmother died when my mom was young. The coal mines killed grandparents etc at an early age as well. Pfft, and don't ask for last name. My mom spells it Bowens, but it some say Bowen and some say Bowing and other variation are sure to exist as well.

So... I am an American simply because I have NO FUCKING CLUE. My skin is white, I'm 5'4, I have a germanic last name. Speaking of that... my last name is Fischer. My family pronounces it Fisher. We always have. Never had a fucking clue that it was germanic until someone on dad's boat one year said that it was a germanic last name he had seen before that was pronounced fIsher or something. That's the only time we have ever learned that we have german in our blood. ^_^; That give you a clue about how lost our family and ethnicity is?

[] - [] - [] - []

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:09 am

Bah, I hate this American idea that you're a something American. You're not. If you were born in America, you are American. Get over your lack of heritage. New Zealand managed it.

You would never here someone calling themselves an English Indian, or a Scottish Japanese.

I am English, nothing more, nothing less.

[ | | | | ]

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:41 am

I am an earthling, nothing more, nothing less.

:]

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:32 am

Dutch here. I think there are a few other European nationalities here and there in my family tree, but they're few and many generations ago.

I agree with Archaic. Americans seem to be obsessed with ethnicity/heritage.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:29 pm

[ | | | | ]

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:34 pm

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:10 pm

Onigiri
Wyvern

Postby Onigiri » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:23 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 pm

I agree with Archaic Sage on the whole X/American thing.

Also, at the rate we're going, it won't be long before we all just meld into a single lovely, creamy, light-brown race, and I'm cool with that. Then we'll have to go out there and find some compatible aliens to hump for variety. *glances over at Elysienne, the alleged earthling* ;)

(It's true. <3 Russell Peters.)

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:31 pm

20 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”