A suggestion for the webmasters

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

GherkiKnight
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A suggestion for the webmasters

Postby GherkiKnight » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:00 pm

I am okay that swearing is allowed here, but can you please forbid the BIG one? You know what I mean right? I mean F---. Can this one be banned? Try to keep the foulmouthedness contained to a certain level.
In other words, F--- would be in the 6th Stratum, but it's locked away by the tree key. So the tree key is now broken. Just ban that one vulgar, unsophisticated word please. I tolerate a certain amount, but that one word...

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:35 pm

It took a lot of restraint to not have me be childish and use it here. Honest.

[spoiler]No, seriously.[/spoiler]

ps:
[spoiler]The Tree Key is never used in the 6th Stratum nor is it needed to enter the 6th Stratum. Weird nitpick, I suppose, but ... what the [s]f[/s]hell I suppose.[/spoiler]

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:52 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 am

I'm sorry, Gherki. While I appreciate your suggestion (which should have been posted in the Suggestions forum), I'm afraid this is one I will not decide to act upon.

The forum is geared for users who are an average age of 16-18+ years of age. While we encourage the younger ages to join up and have fun, too, this is the sort of audience that Etrian Odyssey tends to draw in as well as most other games by Atlus.

It was my decision made early on before I had even completed the design of ItL to allow swearing - the administrators included, though Archaic and I do try to be more professional about it.

If it was a problem to the point of someone using it a multitude of times in a single post to the point of absolute idiocy, then I could see the need to possibly censor or ban it.

As it is, however, most of our visitors on ItL up to date have been quite mature in this area. Of course the occassional "Fuck" and "Shit" and more than a fair share of "damn" are thrown around, most are behaved enough to not use it in over-excess.

My apologies, but, this is one of the few times that I have to use the phrase "if you don't like it, just don't visit." Until it becomes a serious problem, visitors are allowed to use swear words without fear of censorship or admonishment.

That might not be the only thing you will have to worry about here, Gherki, and I worry if this is the sort of environment you will like, so I will bring it up and mention it, especially if the word "fuck" is enough to send shivers down your spine:

We are VERY free and liberal with our conversation. Many conversations have wandered into the area of sex - and some of these conversations have just bordered on the edge of being NSFW-only. And while we do have an NSFW gallery, some of the images that can be posted in the Random Image Topic, as well as some of the videos in the Youtube topic, can be just borderline safe - we are usually good about marking these, but once in a while one of them slips past us.

So, please feel free to enjoy your stay and we welcome you warmly, but please keep in mind that unless a serious problem arises (such as a racial slur or what not) then this is what is free and permittable on our forums.

I'm sorry and I hope it will not deter you from posting with us some more or turn you away from getting to know us. Now that most of us know your sentiments, I for one will do my best to watch my tongue when addressing you, but there are no promises nor guarantees.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:17 am

I'll be honest, I swear like a sailor / Samuel L. Jackson. Especially in real life. Pretty much anywhere, actually.

Paranoia
Fenrir

Postby Paranoia » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 am

Someone call the wambulance.

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:06 am

^ Don't need to be like that. Please.

I was going to say "Banning the word fuck is practically banning Scy." Heh.

But really now.

Ban the use of fuck.

On the Internet...

Really?

You can't be on the Internet and expect people not curse like a sailor. If swearing helps people convey their feelings and get out stress, then let them swear however they want whenever they want. I mean seriously, it's just text. Four characters that happened to mingle together. If I typed it upside down or in another language would that be okay? I mean, do you have a hex that causes you to spontaneously combust if you read the word fuck? The Internet is a rough place.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:19 am

Well, depending on the age of Gherki, it's probably not an unreasonable request if he's like 10-12, and if this were my MCLoZ forums with the age group being much much lower than here on ItL, it would be a feasible concept. I don't think it's such a sin for him to have asked this. And I really feel that it's you guys - not him - that's carrying it out of proportion (wambulance?). Still, they are your opinions, and I agree with them on the whole, but I think you should also bear his feelings in mind.

I do agree with Elys, though - I actually have NO IDEA how baddly you guys swear simply because I don't pay attention to it - and yet I read and reply to your guys' posts every day. The fact that I haven't noticed means it's ignorable and you guys don't overdo it. Though, it could also mean that I curse worse than you guys do. ^_^;

[] - [] - [] - []

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:23 am

Outside of quoting stuff or explaining I have never sworn since I was last on stage about two-three years ago.

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:28 am

But, fcuk is French Connection UK! ...Wait, that isn't upside down... or in another language...

Also, I have a tendency to curse at times. You just never see me do it here BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE GHERKI :<
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:37 am

Again: my fear for him isn't the swearing that we have here but where some of our conversations can end up. :\

*looks at Seni*

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:46 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:46 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:59 am

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:00 am

23 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”