Help Max decide: Wii vs PS3!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

204 posts
ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:16 pm

Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hanyou » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:57 pm

[ | | | | ]

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hanyou » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:11 pm

Chronx6
Ragelope

Postby Chronx6 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:19 pm

I just don't know what to put here!

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:25 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Again, this just comes down to what one wants in a game. Personally, I find the classics outdated now and I care not for rose-tinted glasses nostalgia. Sure, they were good games for their times but there can be (or already are) better games. I for one like where the HD Gaming is going in the sense that higher production values yields better looking games. Not just "OH LOOK THE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME" but the details and how it all flows together (Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles are two of my favorite looking games of this gen). Games getting "prettier" encompasses a lot more than merely looking "better."

Pretty sure this can be summed pretty easily: I'm just a completely different type of gamer. *shrugs*

[spoiler]And hopefully we can end this de-rail or I can stop being an ass and responding/antagonizing/etc. ... T.T[/spoiler]

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:26 pm

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 am

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:49 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:50 am

Wasn't saying you were giving off this "OLD = PERFECT" vibe, just that I'm used to it with the current conversation. I have no sense of nostalgia. I don't dress things up as amazing from when I played them when I was younger. Not to say that classics aren't awesome just that "awesome" gets confused with "I was 5 then" or something for many titles.

I also don't think that term applies for stuff that happened before we were born ^^. More meant it for like, "X GAME IS FLAWLESS" viewpoints on games one hasn't played for years. A lot of LTTP (Late to the Party) topics at neoGAF pretty much touch on this. People talk on-and-on about how great X game is and so people go pick it up and play it and ... wow it sucks. Yeah, it was great THEN and not so much NOW. We tend to remember how great a game was and forget the bad points until you pick it back up again.

I don't believe that newer games are, by default, better due to the technology. Far from it, personally. I won't do the opposite either and believe older games are better on the basis of being old. Individual merits and how well they used what they have/had at the time is what determines if a game is good (whether that is good enough to warrant playing now, for older games, depends though). That said, I like the trend of higher production values in the sense of games being taken more seriously in production.

I am tired of UE3-esque models that look like dolls (STAR OCEAN IV WHAT) or brick houses (Gears). Like I said, Tales of Vesperia and Valkyria Chronicles are my two favorite, visually, games of this generation. I like the anime-ish style over "SUPER REALISTIC HEY-O" visuals. My thoughts on the whole "new gen" is for it to just continue doing what it was doing but more visually appealing, more immersive, and more options. I don't need a new generation to be a complete paradigm shift.

[spoiler]The Witcher is pretty fun if you liked Oblivion, though it is more linear than Oblivion. Also, it has some weird thoughts on "maturity" equating to PG-13 sex scenes and copious amounts of swearing. Still, the game is pretty fun and, personally, was more interesting than Vanilla Oblivion.

Fallout 3 gets an obvious "duh" as well.[/spoiler]

Edit: And, yes, it's weird to point out that "these systems had awesome gems!" and yet ignore that they make up for less than 5% of their total games. Every generation has their stand out titles ... but they're just that. STAND OUTS. There's tons of worthless games for every system in every generation.

As for "more soul" ... it's probably due to the older games being more of an "indie" feel. I mean ... games now just seem to be more-or-less "FOR THE MONEY." May not be true (the whole "FOR THE MONEY" part) but they do sort of "feel" like a more corporate thing. I really don't care much for that so not something I really notice. Just my thoughts as to "why."

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:01 am

o_O OMG my topic exploded.

@Current conversation: Old games just left more to the imagination and gave the imagination a LOT to imagine. In LoZ:LttP the idea of this world almost being overcome by a cataclysmic event is saved by a young boy who A) was telepathically pleaded with to save the Princess of his land B) has just lost his uncle C) has inherited a sword with mysterious power, and then has to search for a sword that, much like King Arthur, only a rare soul can touch and pull out, and then his mysterious bloodline of knights keeps being referenced and D) turns into a bunny when he enters the Dark World - a form that's suppose to reflect his true self. Not to mention the heartache you feel when you talk to people who are trapped in the Dark World.

OoT just... explained the HELL out of things and left no mystery. The only mystery the fans got was "why in the hell didn't we get the Triforce?!"

I know I'm making this a Zelda-based argument, mostly 'cause its Hanyou-ni I'm talking to ^_^ and mostly cause in my mind this series shows this chasm between old-school and new-school the most.

But, I digress.

I didn't really want the conversation to be about the games produced and their quality vs the other. Both systems have some really great games and such - which is why it's so hard to pick and why :3 I wanted to see which system would have the longest list of games that appealed to me.

That ALSO being said, Hanyou-ni has a point. Maybe I SHOULD get a PSP. They are only $169 and... KH: Birth by Sleep is coming out for it!! >_< I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT!!! Plus there is Class of Heroes to buy, then a Katamari game, portable Disgaea, FF: Dissidia (and all FF games... *sigh* though I know my track record wtih them...), a game called Mana Khemia I saw an ad for the other day, and just several other games here and there.

:\ Keep in mind that Kingdom Heart and Zelda games are BIG factors for me. Uggg... >_< WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS MONEY?!

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:04 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:06 am

[] - [] - [] - []

204 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”