Square-Enix and pro timing

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri May 15, 2009 7:43 am

This was not for profit, which changes things compared to doujinshi and some fanmade games. The point I was going with the ROM issue is that nearly everyone interested in this has already purchased the game; not that I'm advocating ROMs but there isn't a lost sale here. Yes, this doesn't circumvent the legal issue but it isn't the same as saying the romhack would promote more pirating of other titles.

[spoiler]Barring introducing people to emulation but ... how the fuck would someone know about Crimson Echoes or any romhack without knowing of emulation?[/spoiler]

Edit: Also keep in mind that Zophar's Domain and a few other romhacks have proven that the actual modification of game data is not illegal. Yes, to USE IT requires something illegal but it itself is purely legal.

As far as flashcarts go, none can play this unless they've made a stand-alone emulator for DS Flashcarts just for this; the current SNES emulators for flashcarts are not capable of playing Chrono Trigger as far as I know (haven't checked in months who knows). The only option is an actual SNES Emulator (which means you can probably play this on a hacked PSP).

S-E and plenty of other companies have sat and watched romhacks go by; this was just the first that modified the game with additional content (or at least this ambitious). Translation patches (of which exist I believe two for Chrono Trigger) have existed for a long time and many of those are a bigger issue than this could ever be in terms of losing a potential sale (pirating the game + translation patch vs importing).

Edit: Which reminds me, one of the fan-retranslations of FFVI was mentioned (mocked) in the GBA port of FFVI if I recall. I'll have to dig that up later when I have time >>

I have no idea what the DS port has to do with this. The port was months old by the time the C&D letters were sent. There's really nothing remotely relating the port to this patch. Hell, the patch wouldn't even work on the DS Chrono Trigger.

Edit: Also still entertained by the mention of Temporal Flux and circumventing copyright protection~

...well, that and the whole, "C&D letter was a fake!" fiasco going on right now. Oh boy.

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri May 15, 2009 1:33 pm

I suppose this Crimson Echoes game has been downloaded and shared a gazillion times by now, so the C&D letters were kinda useless.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri May 15, 2009 3:14 pm

No, it hasn't.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:18 am

I wish it was >_>

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
19 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”