Super Smash Bros. Topic

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Super Smash Bros. Topic

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 4:27 am

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I was going through the picture topic to find an image posted some time back and I noticed how we all agreed that we should post a Super Smash Bros topic but no one ever did so! It's another venue for discussion so why not? This topic can talk about anything related to the series and its three games, or even dreaming on about a fourth entry! Maybe if it catches fire at some point I can compile friend codes on the first post but I don't see that happening anytime soon. :P

As for me, I think Super Smash Bros 64 was the best of the series. The characters themselves could use a little more franchise representation but they were pretty well balanced and aside from Mario and Luigi, much more diverse than in the later games. In this game, it was very easy for even newcomers to combo each other, another thing absent in Brawl. This game also has the best memories and by far the best laughs. I hope it comes to Wii Virtual Console outside of Japan!

Brawl as a Smash Bros game, is a huge disappointment for me. Lots of stuff to dislike, such as the weak character diversity (with how they feel) or the general lack of flow in the gameplay present in earlier entries. But when I let go of the series tie, it seems much better. A solid adventure mode with up to two players, best soundtrack you'll ever hear, great graphics and just overall a great game to play with friends and family.

To this very day I still like to get together to play Brawl with someone when I can. It's a lot of fun for everyone and newer additions like the Final Smash haven't lost their charm. ^-^ I really wish the WiFi play was a little better.

for information on the latest installment.
Last edited by Twat on Sun May 24, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun May 24, 2009 6:00 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 6:04 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun May 24, 2009 8:41 am

I dislike fighting games, so I'm going to agree with noodles on this one: this game just doesn't feel like a "fighting" game to me.

Either way, the N64 version was the best but then I overplayed Melee as well. My sister is nagging the hell out of me to get Brawl after she played it at a friend's house. :3 And I look forward to the purchase of it... when I save up the money -_-;

I'm a total fan of the series. Many hours spent doing both solo and vs, though I prefer vs even if my sister walks away hating me 'cause I'm always beating her.

[] - [] - [] - []

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 8:50 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun May 24, 2009 8:52 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 8:57 am

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 am

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 9:59 am

A part of the reason why I dislike fighting games:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_40dqtKtZb8[/youtube]That video is still awesomely hilarious, though. :P

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sun May 24, 2009 1:45 pm

I've never played this SSB stuff, so I'll probably leave this topic alone. One thing I wonder though seeing that image at the top, how many female characters are there in the game?
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun May 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Peach
Zelda
Nana (half of the Ice Climbers)
Samus (regular + Zero Suit)
Jigglypuff!

...wow, list was shorter than I thought it'd be. Then again, it is Nintendo and they have a predominately male cast anyway.

I don't consider Smash a "fighter" either in the purest sense of the word (that is, compared to Street Fighter, Marvel v Capcom, Guilty Gear/BlazBlue, King of Fighters etc.). I mean, if it came down to describing it to someone new I'd probably use the term but with a lot of extra "buts" thrown in.

To me, Smash was never different because of the items or the stage hazards. Smash was different because it wasn't rigid. Combat isn't on this short stage (~20 character lengths) with little-to-no aerial. Smash gives a lot of freedom towards mobility. Beyond that, it isn't an HP game, per se, so there really isn't a set* amount of damage before you die.

*Okay yeah there is you will be smashed off at X% by certain attacks but if you're good at avoiding them, you can go beyond what the percentages say you should.

The WiFi is still garbage though.

Edit: TECHNICAL
[spoiler]I don't know if I'd say it has gotten less diverse for the metagame (or even in general) than the 64 version. Sure, the 64 cast all played differently but that was due to the small roster. It is annoying that whenever they add someone it's pretty much a clone (or a variant, since I wouldn't call D3 or MK a Kirby clone) or they suck (Zero Suit T.T)

The metagame is a bit more diverse though at a semi-pro level; there is a large variety of the cast that is "good enough" for use to play competitively. Yeah yeah, MK and Snake dominate the top tiers but this isn't THAT level of play I'm talking about. We've had a few "slightly-above-casual" tournaments and the diversity of character choice exists (but I suppose I negate that by saying I won them all with Zelda >>) when playing through it.

I will say that it does feel less diverse than a traditional fighter, however. I can play random and 90% of the time, I know how to play with whomever I get because it is simply knowing the timing and finding out which are my best moves. Playing against random, as Zelda for example, I rarely change my strategy. Adjust for the differences in approach and range and that is really it.[/spoiler]

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 6:35 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun May 24, 2009 6:40 pm

I like playing as her but ... she isn't that great of a character (tier wise). I could just suck with her though.

[spoiler]I couldn't think of a great example off the top of my head of what I meant :([/spoiler]

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun May 24, 2009 6:55 pm

She is a very hard character to use right. I failed pretty badly but I'll be trying it again next time I play.

*digs on the Internet*

It says she's 16th place on the tier list which isn't bad given the big picture. I find her only huge disadvantage is her light weight. Two of her other problems, killing stuff and getting my recovery gimped, I got over after taking time to figure her out. Getting a KO as Zero Suit Samus is hard but practical. By that it I mean someone with experience can get a KO easier than say, Sonic, as long as they have a good grasp of what works. But this know-how really takes some practice and reading up. I used to have problem with people hogging the edge and preventing her Tether Recovery until I understood how to use Plasma Wire as a boost and the Flip Jump special as a Footstool Jump. When I first got interested in Zero Suit Samus, I thought she was much more powerful than she really is so I failed miserably. :[ If I acknowledge her frailty I think I'll die a whole lot less.

Edit - Another note about female characters is Sheik. Interestingly enough, Ivysaur is female in the Japanese version. Any aspect of feminity isn't present in other versions so I guess she's an 'it'?

Also I'm linking the Smash Bros DOJO!! for quick reference to some of the newer terms and characters.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun May 24, 2009 7:12 pm

60 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”