E3 2009 Discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

127 posts

Which company announced the best stuff?

Microsoft
25%
Nintendo
25%
Sony
No votes
The 3rd party developers had better games than everyone else >_>
38%
None of them interested me.
13%

Total votes: 8

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

E3 2009 Discussion

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:41 pm

...and while we're at it, a poll for the best 1st-party announcements.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:54 pm

HERE'S HOPING FOR A NEW ZELDA GAME!!

And here's hoping that they DON'T announce another fucking major console. Handheld systems are fine, but if I hear OMG NINTENDO REVOLUTION 2 I'm going to scream or something. T-T

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:17 pm

WiiHD 2010.

[spoiler]Preemptive Microsoft > Sony > Nintendo.[/spoiler]

I'm just going to use this topic to put down things from feeds/live blogs/reports from people there/INSIDERZ. Maybe.

Edit: >> Microsoft Achievements got updated with some new games:

Halo: Reach
Joy Ride
Shadow Complex
Forza 3
Alan Wake

Could end up being nothing but ... yeah. But until then, YAY ALAN WAKE.

[spoiler]>> Gaf has nearly 5000 people hammering it oh god.[/spoiler]

Oh neat, remake of the old Monkey Island + a new one. Yay.
Edit: Remake of the old (complete with full voices neat) is XBLA + PC only. The new Monkey Island is WiiWare + PC.

Edit: Things are shaping up looking like the Xbox Fluid is real. Well fuck. I hope this is wrong (sort of)

[spoiler]360waggle bitching confirmed.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]megaton. If nothing else, it'll give less novelty to the Wii for motion. Hopefully, if true, they do it better than stand-alone Wiimotes. Then again, Motion+ hasn't gotten favorable reviews yet but that's mostly due to the lack of a good game for it (Resort doesn't come until July and the two EA sports games for it, Tennis and Golf, are a bit lacking apparently).[/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:22 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 pm

EarthBound on VC!

*shot, dead*

*cries*

ALL OTHER NEWS IS MEANINGLESS TO ME

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm

XBOX Project Natal = Fail.

That is all.

[Edit]:

I think Milo is becoming self aware O_O!!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Warning: I'm typing thoughts as it goes on so incomplete thoughts will happen. Also, I swear a lot. A fucking lot lot.

Eh ... intro is The Beatles: Rock Band World Premiere. Isn't this old fucking news?

09/09/09 is the release date of Rock Band: The Beatles (The Beatles: Rock Band?!) Harmonix demos it noone cares. DLC content blah blah blah.

[spoiler]Okay people care but seriously this is fucking old as hell news.[/spoiler]

SO TIME FOR REAL NEWS RIGHT FOLKS?!

Tony Hawk RIDE with [s]WiiFit[/s] 360Skateboard. I have nothing to say. Not my kind of deal.

MODERN WARFARE 2. LOOKS EPIC. Oh well. Always a fan of Infinity Ward.
[spoiler]I'm alone on this aren't I.[/spoiler]

FFXIII 360 ... okay old. Oh hey, English voices. NEAT. I wish I had an HD Stream since my SD one makes it look bad as ... expected. Haha, showing off Odin. Anyway, tentative Spring 2010 release date.

And now, everything else is ONLY ON 360. OH GOD THIS BETTER NOT SUCK.

NEXT EPIC 360 EXCLUSIVE. XBLA title with CliffyB chilling on stage looking smug. He needs his Gears of War Lancer on him. Shadow Complex announcement. Top-down shooter by the looks of things. Mother fucker that's a huge map. Looks like a Metroidvania type game. Coming this Summer.

[spoiler]Did CliffyB just mention some Gears of War 2 DLC?[/spoiler]

Oh fucker, Joyride. XBLA game. I have a lack of care to this so I'm going to go do something more interesting like impale my eyes with a fork. Avatar racing game. Background kind of looks ripped from a Roadrunner cartoon. FREE TO DOWNLOAD. FREE TO PLAY.

SCREEN GOES DARK WHAT IS THIS. OH GOD LOOK AT THAT. CRACKDOWN 2 WTF. That's fucking unexpected oh god. After inFamous, I'm willing to give this genre more.

Oh look, Zombies. Left 4 Dead: GHETTO EDITION.

[spoiler]Left4Dead 2[/spoiler]

Oh look, Ubisoft. New Splinter Cell game. A "new" Sam Fisher. Seems interesting with the premise of Sam going rogue. Splinter Cell: Conviction. Neat, Ubisoft up to pimp out the Splinter Cell game with a demo. First thoughts is Sam needs a new voice. Looks like Sam has been watching 24 and picked up torture from Jack Bauer. The only way to get information!

I'm going to blame the stream but god damn, the game looks so dark even in the lit scenes. But, anyway, looks to be the old stealth Splinter Cell game with less emphasis on stealth (as per usual). Kind of annoying that he's just running around killing as opposed to like, dropping behind people and sneaking around. A lot of straight up killing. Oh well. I'll give it a try when it releases this Fall, <French accent> exclusive on the 360 </French accent>

Forza 3. I don't do racing and even less racing sims. No comment besides it looks pretty as expected. Customization and other stuff ... which is nothing new. So start driving this October, <No Funny Accent> exclusive on the 360 </No Funny Accent>.

Joe Staten of Bungie comes to show off Halo 3 ODST. Looks a little more "realistic" in terms of art direction than prior Halo games. 9 / 22 / 09.

WAHT THAT'S NOT ALL. New "Top Secret" project. Halo Reach "Falls 2010". Halo 3 ODST comes with a multiplayer beta for Reach.

OH GOD REMEDY SHOWS UP. ALAN WAKE. ALAN WAKE. ALAN WAKE. Game looks amazing and the game follows their prior work in terms of dramatic story telling (film noir!). Third person shooter with a mystery story behind it (wife kidnapped and then the events of the novel he's writing start occuring). A lot of use of bullet time-esque slow down ... but looks promising for a survival horror genre. Seems light will be a key point for the encounters in the game. "Alan Wake will see the light of day ... in Spring ... 2010."

And now, Xbox Live stuff:

Exclusive partnership with last.fm NO CHARGE to Xbox Live Gold Members (hot damn).

Following that, NetFlix streaming straight to the 360. SkyTV for the UK (see, you guys exist too). Interesting.

OH WAIT. THERE'S MORE. Zune Video service which means ... FULL 1080p HD library and all their movies/TV shows available INSTANTLY and, finally, doubling the countries for the video store (8 -> 18). InstantON 1080p HD. This Fall launches.

Motherfuckers, even more. One more new feature ... sharing media with friends over Xbox Live via LiveParty. That's interesting since I'd love to watch stuff with friends that don't live with me anymore. A big deal for me since where I live, I'm the source of movies/TV in HD so I kind of miss having everyone around for it (and/or sharing it with them).

...FACEBOOK PARTNERSHIP. What the fuck. Felicia Day to pimp this out. Facebook on the 360. I'm ... god damn it I fucking hate you Facebook. I fucking hate you so damn much. I guess someone somewhere is now happy for no reason.

Oh wait, Facebook connect. What is this. Oh, real time in-game screenshots straight to Facebook.

Oh and look. Twitter. I fucking hate the world.

I'm off to kill myself.

Facebook and Twitter coming this Fall to Xbox 360.

Fuck you Felicia Day. Fuck you in your (adorable) ear.

Oh great. Not done yet. What now. MySpace? Shit. No.
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
No
Hideo Kojima.
Metal Gear Solid.
Xbox 360.
What.
The.
Fuck.

The internet has just exploded. Metal Gear Solid: Rising is the next game in the series coming to it ... focusing on Raiden by the looks of it. "Sneak in."

"Raiden ... is back."

...oh yeah, some talk about controllers. Xbox Natal. Full body controller. Oh great. Project Natal. Works with every 360 out now and every 360 from here on out. Steven Speilberg comes on stage for reasons I'm not quite certain of yet. Starts speaking of interactive entertainment ... WHAT COULD THIS MEAN GOOD SIRS ... wait, we've already announced the Natal. He brings a good point though; true immersion on motion control falls on making there be less and less between your actions and what you do (i.e., less controllers or gadgets in the way). The Natal being NO device is kind of neat.

And now a demo of the Natal showing the full motion control (around Motion+ quality of control). Plays around with Avatar control and full dashboard manipulation ... and now a demo with a game called Ricochet. Looks like 3d Breakout and she's jumping around for it (and another joke at the expense of Nintendo with waggle commands).

Next demo is full body control AND voice control ... with a PAINT game. Motion ot pain the scenery and voice controlled to pull colors. I like how it actually realized the difference between Dark Brown, Brown, and Light Brown.

Oh wow. Now Molyneux (Lionhead Studios, creators of Fable, Fable II) is out to demo the Natal. They've created a kid in-game (Milo) that is capable of recognizing the user. This is ... ridiculous. She's having an actual "conversation" with the kid in the game. This is kind of weird and bizarre. I will definitely find this on YouTube later to show you. This would be ridiculous for a bunch of games.

And now, after the playing with the water demo, she draws a fish and "hands" him the paper into the game. He really does reach up, "grabs" the paper, and has it in-game with a sheet of paper WITH THE PICTURE SHE DREW ON IT.

Molyneux mentions that it's being shown AT E3 for people to "see" Milo themselves. What...I'm...what.

[spoiler]THE DATING SIM GENRE IS FOREVER CHANGED.

And any simulation genre.[/spoiler]

In short: Motion+ Quality control with an HD Console. What do you have to do now, Nintendo? Ball is in your court. The Natal is making the 360 motion control superior to the Wii.

Summary: FUCK I DON'T EVEN KNOW I JUST WANT THIS NATAL AND I HATE MOTION CONTROL WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

InstantON 1080p with no downloads/discs (?) for 360s. This can be shared with anyone. And, now, Natal to make you into the controller. This AND the games listed above.

I need to take a break. Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Natal are such big fucking breaks that it is ridiculous. They pulled an exclusive ENTIRE GAME SERIES from the PS3 (this oh so out does the FFXIII announcement) AND tops the Wii for Motion Control. What the fuck happened here.
Last edited by scy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:23 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Rodger
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Rodger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 pm

Natal actually sounds...interesting. I think I still prefer my control pad and buttons, personally, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on upcoming games that use it. On the other hand, like the Wiimote before it, it has potential for good and evil. There is a time for motion controls, and a time when they feel tacked on. And I'm going to feel pretty silly standing in front of a camera and playing make believe, like pretending to be holding/firing a gun and what not. Saying this system would completely replace controllers would be pushing it a bit, I think, regardless of how accurate it is.

...Speaking of accuracy, did they make a deal with extraterrestrials to get this technology? I mean, holy shit, I would have thought we'd be decades away from cameras/technology that'd allow for something like that. Geez! If I find out Microsoft sold humanity's freedom in exchange for a camera, then they better have an actual Master Chief hidden away somewhere.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 pm

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Rodger
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Rodger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:30 pm

127 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”