E3 2009 Discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

127 posts

Which company announced the best stuff?

Microsoft
25%
Nintendo
25%
Sony
No votes
The 3rd party developers had better games than everyone else >_>
38%
None of them interested me.
13%

Total votes: 8

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:04 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:22 pm

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:34 pm

I can't wait.

[spoiler]I want my own Deathscythe.

Oooh, Cherubim Gundam.[/spoiler]

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:45 pm

Final Fantasy 14? I thought FF13 wasn't even out yet..
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:48 pm

XIV is an MMO and worked on by the XI team (completely separate entity from the XIII team).

[spoiler]It is a bit ridiculous though >>[/spoiler]

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:50 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Or a ... you know what, nevermind.

Ace Attorney Investigations (Miles Edgeworth: Perfect Prosecutor) gameplay video .

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: The new Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks trailer.

Is that a whip I see? Instant 5/5 just for that.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 pm

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:04 am

Maybe they've finally decided to bring over 7th Dragon?

No? I didn't think so </3

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:27 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:34 am

Final conference ohboyohboyohboy. Konami so ... come on Suikoden!!!

[spoiler]A girl can dream ... so I'm going to hold some hostages until I get enough to dream up a Suikoden VI announcement.[/spoiler]

sizeeeeeee
[spoiler]Konami has had a successful 2008, largely (almost all) thanks to Metal Gear Solid 4. And, as such, June 16th will mark the launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Greatest Hits. Kojima comes on stage ... and jokes about swine flu. Anyway, he believes that E3 is sad without any big announcements so ...he plans to announce 4 new titles.

Wait, 4? Metal Gear Solid: Rising, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and ... what? OH WOW NEAT. Unless he means 4 IN ADDITION TO Rising and Peace Walker.

...and the first title is Metal Gear ... Arcade. Huh. "Tactical Online Action." Game will be 3D via "special goggles." Out in Japan this year with a worldwide release later. Really, Metal Gear in the arcade? wat.

Trailer starts with shots of nuclear war, Vietnam bombing, Cold War stuff ... and the rise of Outer Heaven in Costa Rica. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. "Where does deterrence end and true peace begin?"

SCY NOTE: Ore wa ... Gundam?

Kojima is pretty insistent on the fact that this is NOT A SPIN-OFF and NOT A SIDE-STORY but a true entry in the series ... we'll see when it releases in 2010. Kojima is doing the writing himself (we're doomed) and the MGS4 team is working on the game as well.

Okay, next up is ... Metal Gear Solid Rising. Not exclusive to the 360 (PS3 and PC release) and will be a stealth-action game with Raiden as the lead. Rising will be created by the "up and coming youngblood" of KojiPro and not Kojima himself.

Now, one more "little surprise" and the Mask teaser comes up ... and the trailer starts. God of War-style action game by the look of things with standard fare Castlevania enemies. "The Mask is a powerful device...can it really bring the dead back?" Castlevania: Lords of Shadow appears; coming for the 360 and PS3 in 2010.

"DID YOU RIKE IT"

This is a "reimagining" of the series. It has NO connection to prior games. Spanish based Mercury Steam is developing the game in conjunction with KojiPro. Kojima praises Dave Cox (of Konami Europe) and the Mercury Steam team so I guess that's supposed to make us feel better about it.

Planned to have a "rich, open game world" with a story revolving around retribution and salvation. So, PR fluff. Kojima says that, while Castlevania started in Japan, it must evolve like this to "move on" and keep the appeal in the years to come. Konami took the global audience in account when deciding this move in game design. Cox comes back on stage. "Forget what you know about Castlevania - this is what a next-gen Castlevania game should be." Slotted for a 2010 release.

SCY NOTE: I agree on this direction for _3D CONSOLE CASTLEVANIA_ but don't drop the 2D Metroidvanias T.T God of War style action with a Whip makes me happy. Very happy.

Saw trailer starts. Tobin Bell (Jigsaw) comes on stage. Jigsaw will "bring his reign of terror" to games this fall. Developers are trying to keep the Saw franchise "smart and edgy" with this addition ... ... hrm, alright. There are "marvelous" ideas in the game keeping with the style of the movies. Tobin Bell provides the voice of Jigsaw and Billy the Puppet for the game. Bell introduces Mark Burg, producer of ... the Saw franchise. This isn't ending anytime soon is it. Game comes out this fall for PS360 and downloadable for the PC.

...and next is Karaoke Revolution. The strangest segue in all of E3 I'd say. Will "push the boundaries of the Karaoke genre." That's a genre? Game includes customizable avatars and is planned for a PS360Wii release this Fall. I don't really care and can't help feel the need to not bother.

Next is ... DDR. Oh fucking christ really? Over 60 new tracks in the new DDR for the PS2 ... and now, DDR for the Wii. I hate you Konami. Wii DDR plans to use the Balance Board; a fun and good workout, "especially around the waist." Ugh ... anyway, with the Balance Board, there are no "normal" arrows to worry about but "hip bumps", punches, and hip rolls. A "completely new style of entertainment." For those without a board, there's still other means of "dancing."

Next, WireWay (Fall release) for the DS. I've never heard of this. The protagonist, Wiley, is off to win the affection of some chick and must do so through ... defeating an alien? Propel him through levels via "slingshotting" him off of wires. I'm ... not that excited.

Deca Sports 2 ... ... ... *shakes head* 10 events, some new features over the last one. Arrives this fall. Next.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii. Seems to have something to do with a psych office? No combat just exploration. Wiimote control for the flashlight and nunchuk for movement (duh). Yet another "reimagining" of a series. Still about the core concept; Harry Mason searching Silent Hill for his daughter, Cheryl. The goal the team had was to break the barrier to immersion. No loading screens neat (i.e., seamless world).

SCY NOTE: Rodger brought up a point earlier about the Vitality Sensor that seems interesting here ... can use it to detect when you're "not scared" and throw crazy shit at you to freak you the fuck out. All new ways to scare the shit out of you in the survival horror genre.

The scares are "not scripted, canned, or pre-planned." The game is all about pure, primal terror. Layouts, monster placement, and even music are "dynamically generated" according to the Psych profile. The shrink is "looking over your shoulder" and using the information gathered to tune gameplay ... not sure what that means to be honest. The enemy (not zombies but faceless humanoids ... which sound like zombies) will hunt you via smell and sound, work together, and attempt to surround and then raep you. Enemies merely "cling" onto you and drag you down to the ground to kill you, not claw at you until you die.

Also for the PSP and PS2 (though done by a different team). They'll be just as "wildly inventive" as the Wii version. Interesting but, to be honest, the Wii one sounds the most likely candidate for the full experience.

And ... one final surprise ... DDR for the PS360 (and Wii?), along with an 8-directional controller. I have now slit my wrists. 150 downloadable songs via XBLA/PSN.

The End.[/spoiler]

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:18 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

127 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”