E3 2009 Discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

127 posts

Which company announced the best stuff?

Microsoft
25%
Nintendo
25%
Sony
No votes
The 3rd party developers had better games than everyone else >_>
38%
None of them interested me.
13%

Total votes: 8

Rodger
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Rodger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Pacing? I was getting all this through text blogs, usually delayed. My opinion is solely from what they delivered. I guess the pacing for Nintendo's conference was a bit weird though since there seemed to be no particular order or anything, but I can't really compare it to the others. Or did you mean something else by pacing?

Also, just found out about that Monado game. Looks pretty interesting. And TvC loses 1 character, gains five. Net gain: +4 characters for Tatsunoko vs Capcom localization.

I think I want that PSP Go, but I'll wait. It's coming out with a pretty hefty price tag, so I'll just track down a PSP 2000 I think.

Someone really needs to hit the Atlus booth...

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Rodger
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Rodger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:45 pm

Rodger
Fenrir

Postby Rodger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:05 pm

Forgot about L4D2...but yeah, did see mentions of "another trailer" often in the blog posts. I expected Sin and Punishment 2 to be featured in the conference but they just had it there to showcase it after.

Forgot about the achievement leaks too...

(Hardcore gaming rant alert)
[spoiler]Honestly, there's no "hardcore" gamers. Just a bunch of elitists who somehow think playing a game with an "M" rating entitles them to think they're better than everyone else and be all-around douchebags. I have nothing but scorn for the term. A real gamer doesn't see "hardcore" or "casual", only games that interest them. Games that don't interest gamers just fall under the radar rather then getting savagely attacked as a 'hardcore' gamer would. The idea of someone having Personal Trainer: Cooking, Halo 3, inFamous, My World My Way, and Mario in their game collection would cause their heads to explode. Note I don't actually have any of those games right now because I don't actually have a job until I finish this internship...[/spoiler]

But yeah, there's really nothing wrong with a gamer owning Sims 3 in my book. But maybe I'm just saying that because I plan to pick it up eventually too. Sometime after I get a nice gaming rig...

Edit: I think I've figured out this whole "Wii Sensor" thing, based on the speech leading up to it. It's something purely for the casual gamers, who, as Iwata (he was the presenter for this, right?) pointed out, wouldn't be interested in difficult games like a typical gamer would. So, instead, this sensor would tailor the gaming difficulty based on the wearer's level of frustration. If they come across something they can't do and start to get frustrated, the game gives them a break.

Better yet, the device is almost definitely going to be picked up in droves by casual gamers. People who picked up Wii Fit are going to be wanting this. Particularly if its compatible with, say, a new Wii Fit game. Then, sometime after, they release a game directed toward people who would have this device that does just that. Alters the difficulty of the game based on the user's frustration. Then, when a new Mario or Zelda game comes out and advertises compatibility with it, they pick up the game and try it out. Tada! Difficulty settings between "hardcore" and "casual" gamers crossed!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:06 am

I think there needs to be a clear cut definition of hardcore~ By hardcore gamer, I merely mean I take my gaming "seriously." It isn't just a cheap hobby or something like that. I play. A lot. *shrugs*

Never really heard it used as "I PLAY MATURE GAMES OMGZ" or something.

[spoiler]wtf Personal Trainer: Cooking?[/spoiler]

I am an elitist prick though so who knows.

oh and next conference started took me forever + 1 to build other comp I felt dumb when it worked :(

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:38 am

You know, I was going to ignore the lol that is e3. But then Nintendo says they'd broadcast a summary each day with trailers from my Wii. Only thing to interest me so far is Metroid: Project M. WOW

A Metroid game.
With the developers from Team Ninja (who are great at 3rd person controls)
And it's not Prime.

This is the best Nintendo news in years. Even if it bombs I will be buying it.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:58 am

I hate to burst your bubble but it's not the Team Ninja that made Ninja Gaiden. All the people responsible for that left with Itagaki. All that remains couldn't manage to do a port of Ninja Gaiden II right >>. Don't get your hopes up expecting an Itagaki Metroid.

I mean, maybe Hayashi (the new lead of Team Ninja) can pull it together and build one up from the ground-up but ... y'know, just saying. Devil May Cry 2-4 wasn't so bad after Kamiya left, for example.

Edit: Forgot Kamiya stopped working on DMC a loooong time ago~~
Last edited by scy on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:01 am

so since it shows the scene where Mother Brain kills the Super Metroid

is it a remake or what?

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:04 am

It's a prequel as far as I can tell. End of the trailer has you confronting Samus so ...

[spoiler]Or not. Who knows the trailer end was confusing.[/spoiler]

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:07 am

the end has samus talking to a little girl

seeing as samus said "I'm samus"

also the black guy better be Hudson

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:10 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:32 am

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:37 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:48 am

*shrugs* Just saying.

Look on the bright side, an Itagaki-less Team Ninja means no more Rachel character designs!

[spoiler]Then again, Ayane is in whore mode in Sigma II...but I think that's Itagaki's design too.

Kind of wish they used less bullshotting on this though. We'll see how much of Team Ninja (they really shouldn't be called that >> the people that made Team Ninja ... well, Team Ninja are gone) is left on this. And by that I mean terrible art direction, subpar story (for a game rooted in plot hrm), CG cutscenes out the ass, over-the-top presentation and boob physics~ Dunno, seems a weird step for the Metroid franchise but Prime wasn't that bad so ... yeah.

...I say all this but I'm still buying it (and Sigma II >>). *shrugs* Can't help shake off the Gaiden look and feel to it and wonder how polished the gameplay will be from the castrated Team Ninja. That and the whole "PARTNERED WITH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE GENRE" when it isn't even them is a bit ... unsettling. Meh.

Edit: Feel it necessary to state I like Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden 2. I'm quite a fan of the over-the-top presentation and the cheesy story. The gameplay is solid and the difficulty makes me want to beat something small and squishy. The idea of it as a Metroid game intrigues me in ways I can't wait to play (one of those weird "really, that for a crossover?" feeling I suppose). Still, I know it's not made by the people who actually made Ninja Gaiden ... well, Ninja Gaiden. Can't help but feel a little wary on it playing right.[/spoiler]

127 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”