Best selling games of all time

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:50 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Everyone's correct with the millions sold, by the way. I didn't include them to make the list more streamlined. Animal Crossing and Mario 2 are about 10.? million (Animal crossing 10.8 I believe, Mario 2 somewhere a little lower).

For the curious, here are the top-ten best selling gaming franchises (PC included)

1. Mario (210 million)
2. Pokémon (186 million)
3. Tetris (125 million)
4. The Sims (100 million)
5. Need for Speed (almost 100 million)
6. Final Fantasy (85 million)
7. Grand Theft Auto (70 million)
8. Madden NFL (70 million)
9. FIFA (65 million)
10. The Legend of Zelda (57 million)

The PlayStation 3 has yet to sell more than 4 million of any game (not surprising; not enough consoles on the market).

Found it interesting, but not surprising, that SSBMelee outsold Mario Sunshine for the GameCube. Goodness I hated Sunshine!

Part of the lack of XBox games among the top sellers is the diverging interest of US and Japanese gamers when it comes to top sellers. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, for example, sold 3 million units but only 5K in Japan. Likewise, GTA IV sold 4 million over here, but only 40K over there. Also hurting it is the multitude of systems (PSX, PC) it has to compete with whereas nearly all of Nintendo system's top-sellers are exclusives.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 pm

As interesting as the numbers are, I can't help shake the feel that people equate sales numbers to quality too damn much. It is interesting to see, though.

[spoiler]Doesn't help anything Splinter Cell after Chaos Theory sucked.[/spoiler]

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:10 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:48 pm

More meant in the realm of "sold really well must be the best thing ever," mentality. They're not garbage games by any means but more of a general sales aren't indicative of quality/"how awesome is the game."

I've enjoyed most of the games on the list but just think the list means nothing more than "what people buy" as opposed to "what is good." Not pointing fingers at anyone here just what I think of these lists every single time I see them.

[spoiler]Yet I still check the goddamn Media Create topics at GAF T.T[/spoiler]

If Pokemon hasn't changed 10 years from now and still sells like it does ... I have no idea how to finish this train of thought but you can imagine it's probably vulgar and angry.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 pm

Oh, full agreement. Quantity =/= quality. I'm sure we could get into a very brutal fist-fight over what are the best games of all time.

And, yeah, the list is "What people buy" ... but I think it's interesting. People buy a system, let's say the DS for example, and then they buy a game. But what game do they buy? If they are getting it at launch they probably buy the default launch title, likely a Mario game for a Nintendo system. Nintendogs sold so well, I'm sure, because it was available near launch.

Now that I've mentioned this I'm extremely curious as to this demographic!

Here are mine:

GameBoy Color - Pokemon Red
GameCube - Animal Crossing
PlayStation 2 - GTA3/Vice City DoublePack
Nintendo DS - Trauma Center UTK
Nintendo Wii - Elebits

Now, I'm sure some of you likely purchase your systems at launch, but I've never been able to for one reason or another, which means more available games.

[spoiler]
Also, I own a NES, SNES and 64 as hand-me-downs from my big brother, who received them as presents from parents/grandparents and, thus, I had no control over what the accompanying launch title was... and besides the NES and SNES came bundled. While speaking of bundles, I'm also not counting Wii Sports although I could have.

And despite GTA being my main motivator for buying a PS2, I never used the system as much more than a DVD player until Katamari Damacy came out.

Also, I have no idea where my GameBoy color is and I never bought any other games for it. I had Tetris leftover from the original GameBoy, Mario Land got lost in the labyrinthine underworld of my brother's room, and I completely skipped the GBA generation of games.
[/spoiler]

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 pm

NES - Mario (+ DUCK HUNT LIEK WHOA) as a bundle, first other purchase I think was Final Fantasy? Might've been Zelda.
SNES - Super Mario World (duh) as a bundle, I forget my first purchase after that to be honest. Was probably an RPG I'd guess?
N64 - Super Mario 64 (bundled ... getting old huh), Blast Corps. Goldeneye whenever it came out but ... yeah?
Gamecube - Didn't get one at launch but when I did buy it Tales of Symphonia, Viewtiful Joe (1&2), Harvest Moon: It's a Wonderful Life and Magical Melody, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 1 & 2.
Wii - Do not own.

Gameboy - Tetris (bundled I think?), Super Mario Land.
Gameboy Advance: *shrugs* I have no idea. Fire Emblem maybe? Golden Sun? Ruby/Sapphire?
Nintendo DS - Trauma Center: Under the Knife is what made me spring for a DS >>

Playstation - Final Fantasy VII.
Playstation 2 - Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2 and something else that I forget. Ico I think? Yeah, not a launch pick-up either but close I suppose.
Playstaiton 3 - Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted. Did not buy this on launch either (MGS4 was part of my bundle). Disgaea 3 I pre-ordered ages before I bought my PS3 though and didn't come in until nearly a month after I got it so not sure where to put it for this~.
PSP - Do not own (yet).

Xbox - Do not own.
Xbox 360 - Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Dead Rising were my first purchases. Launch titles were garbage so I don't think I bought much for it for like ... a year.

Genesis - Sonic. I guess the first? I have no idea, to be perfectly honest.
Dreamcast - Do not own.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Can I be totally envious of your family? My parents wouldn't know a game console if it bit them, let alone my grandparents (well, only one of them left nowadays). I was eleven when we got our first computer, a PC.

Ah well. Anyways, the first game I bought for/with my DS was Children Of Mana. For the PSP it was Class Of Heroes, although that still hasn't arrived.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:50 pm

My parents are pretty staunch anti-gaming and wouldn't really know the difference between a console/video game from ... well, anything.

[spoiler]To the point that they've thought I've been playing stuff when watching a DVD ... oh boy.[/spoiler]

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:52 pm

My parents did some gaming. My mom loved Dr Mario, and my dad liked Dragon Warrior. The 3-d era really outpaced them. Even when we all played GoldenEye together they weren't very handy with the controls.

My grandmother has always been technosavvy. She was hardcore into gaming during the NES and SNES era. One of my fondest memories is watching her beat Super Metroid!

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:59 pm

My family is full of gamers. Only my father has called it quits.

Hehe... my grandparents would always destroy me in duels in WoW. T-T

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:11 pm

I hate you

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:18 pm

I love you, too! <3

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:15 am

Needs moar Monster Hunter.

32 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”