Best selling games of all time

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Best selling games of all time

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:11 pm

How many of the best-selling console games of all time do you own?

From wikipedia:

1. [s]Wii Play (Wii)[/s]
2. Nintendogs (DS)
3. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy)
4. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
5. Wii Fit (Wii)
6. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
7. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS)
8. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS)
9. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
10. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2)
11. Mario Kart DS (DS)
12. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color)
13. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
14. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (DS)
15. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA)
16. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)
17. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA)
18. Super Mario 64 (N64)
19. Gran Turismo (PS1)
20. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)
21. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)

I only own [s]8[/s] 9 of them. (Pokemon Red, Mario 3, Pearl, Mario Land, Sapphire, GTA, Mario 64, Animal Crossing + Mario 2). Although I want to own a Wii fit, and I'll buy the Gold/Silver remake when it comes out.

Edited:

Fine. Wii Play is gone. Mario 2 is the next highest selling, thus it made the list now. Adjust your lists accordingly.
Last edited by Kinokokao on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:32 pm

in b4 "lol N..."

...wrong forum.

[spoiler]14, though I'd say Wii Play is cheating since it was bundled with a second controller.[/spoiler]

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:45 pm

Well, it's already excluding Wii Sports, Marios Bros, Tetris and Mario World which were bundled with their respective consoles...

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Considering that most people who bought a controller were more-or-less forced to buy WiiPlay to get an additional one when it first came out ... I dunno if I'd really count it. I wonder how many people really bought WiiPlay based on it's own merits.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:59 pm

Okay, okay. It's off the list.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am

Haha, didn't mean for you to take it off the list. Was just honestly wondering on it since it felt like it's an inflated number. That's all.

[spoiler]14 still >>[/spoiler]

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Best selling games of all time

Postby noodles » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:54 am

I own tennnnnnnn

though I have played most of those

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:41 am

Oh, I agree, it's an inflated number. We received a ton of people selling back the Wii Play game after taking the remote.

which games are you missing, Scy? Maybe Grand Turismo? Unless you min/max play that, in which case I bet you're crazy at it. My old roommate's boyfriend had that game and he'd always do these long races in which the car drove itself and he just like.. did maintenance or something. I was a little surprise that it made the list to be honest o__o;;

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:42 am

None. Unless Pokemon Platina is included in the Diamond/Pearl entry, then one. But I haven't played it yet (it's the Japanese version, waiting for me to get back to studying Japanese).
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:45 am

kimiko, buy some fukken games

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:52 am

I have lots of games (40 DS, 8 GBA, 2 PSP). Just not the super popular stuff.
Then again, many of the games on that list are older ones. I've only had my DS for about 18 months.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Rodger
Fenrir

Postby Rodger » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 am

Pokemon Platinum and other third wheel games from a generation are counted separately and don't sell enough to appear on that list (usually sell 6-8 million copies, that should give you an idea of what it takes to get up there). Anyway, I own or have played...eight of those games.

Anyone else notice that 17/20 of the top 20 best selling games were for Nintendo consoles? And I'm pretty sure the bundled games that outpace the ones on that list are all on Nintendo consoles as well. Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports are up there at over 40 million copies. Duck Hunt has somewhere in the vicinity of 30 million I believe, as does Tetris. R/B/, for comparison, are in the low 20 mil range. New Super Mario Bros and Pokemon D/P are in the 16mil+ range. Cash cow franchises are GO!

...5/8 of the games I've owned/played from that list were Pokemon games. Thats not including the fact that I tend to buy at least one copy of every mainstream pokemon game =/

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:21 am

There was a reason for my first post like that~ The chart is dominated by Nintendo. Figures, though, noone can really doubt the popularity of most of the games on the list.

[spoiler]Quality, however, is a different issue entirely~[/spoiler]

Not surprised to see Gran Turismo up there. Actually, I'm surprised to NOT see more Gran Turismo up there >> Quite frankly, it has always (somehow) been a system seller. Quite ridiculous, really. I don't get it to be honest.

The titles I'm missing are both Gran Turismo's, WiiFit, Mario Kart: Wii, Nintendogs, and Animal Crossing. I don't have a Wii but I still picked up an extra Wiimote back when WiiPlay came out (hence my little point that WiiPlay numbers are inflated heh). WiiPlay is, if I recall, around 23M sold, if that gives any indication for what #1 on this list looks like (#20 was right under 11M if memory serves me).

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:31 am

I have three. Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, and Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:50 am

............ I own 3.

[] - [] - [] - []

32 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”