High Score

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Does getting a high score matter to you?

Yes
18%
No
64%
Only if I'm playing Super Princess Noodles. Higher score = More fan service
18%

Total votes: 11

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

High Score

Postby Twat » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 am

Poll refers to scores in games where they do not matter at all.

By context, I'm not talking about the score in say, a game of football where you need to get more balls into the net than the other team. I mean the kind of score you get for destroying baddies or getting combos in a puzzle game. I couldn't care less to be honest. I guess in early arcade culture, getting your initials on the scoreboard was a big deal. These days, I find it annoying. I don't want to have to enter my name but at the same time, I am not going to enter "AAA" to get through quicker. I'm posting this topic because of an argument my family was having over the importance of score.

tl;dr
If the game awards lives or something for getting points, I'll keep it in mind. Other than that, meh.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:16 am

I don't know of many games I these days that even have scores

also

lysie

you better lock your doors and windows

Vapour Trail
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Vapour Trail » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:35 am

Pretty much no. The only exceptions are the Mojipittan, Taiko no Tatsujin and Ouendan series. I'm always trying to improve my scores in those games for some reason. Outside of those games, though, I don't care much about scores, perfect games, etc.

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:53 am

I only care about score in shmups and rhythm games.

Outside of that no, not really.
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Depends. If the game has High Score as part of the game (Rhythm games, for example) then ... duh, yes. To not care is to admit to not wanting to improve at the game.

Otherwise, I dunno depends. Usually, a higher score means playing better so ... yeah, it's something I care about. If it's through doing things "a certain way" then probably not.

That said, I don't know of that many games that have a score and not have it somehow tied to performance.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm

I like improving scores on some games, like the surgeries in Trauma Center, but other than that, no, not really.

Also for the fan service in Super Princess Noodles, obviously.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Never. I usually don't play games that have them, anyway...I think? NOt even sure there.

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:06 pm

i don't play games

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:18 pm

hi5 seni

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 am

Hence why I said usually. Usually, if you do things "better" (i.e., faster, more health, whatever special combo feature the game uses for point multiplier) you get a higher score. Some are just stupid (MadWorld, for example, pretty much shoehorns you into certain kills for maximum points) and those are the one's I mean with "doing things a certain way."

Most games that use points as your sole way of "progress" at least have the decency to tie it to performing well. Doesn't stop some from making it "perform well at doing this the one right way."

Again, most/usual and not all. I tend to not give a fuck about points if it's just "there" for the sake of being there (why do you have this Fighting games? why why why why why?).

[spoiler]At least BlazBlue has a Score Attack mode to make the points seem less arbitrary.[/spoiler]

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:17 am

I like to at least get extra rez for points. Make me go out of my way to kill stuff.

Onigiri
Wyvern

Postby Onigiri » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:05 am

With video games, I couldn't care less about high-scores, unless it's to unlock story-elements...

On a real life pinball machine, though... heh, the local ones have my name on it at least once... all on the top, of course :D

Also, whack-a-mole... nice game if you're in a bit of sour mood.
Though, the one I use the most is in an arcade, where it spits out exchangable tokens instead of giving a high-score... Hmmmm, I suppose the amount of tokens could be seen as the score....
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana!

( b^ .^)b o( º . º)o d(^ o ^)b o(º . º )o d(^. ^d )

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 am

Alright

This is video is what I mean when I make a deal about high scores in rhythm games:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOxALHJpX8w[/youtube]

(Yeah, that's my DS >_>)
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 pm

I swear, Ouendan FCs/300s make me cry on the inside for being terrible at the game.

17 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”