Peanut Butter Preference

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

What's your favorite type of peanut butter

Creamy
33%
Chunky
44%
Organic
11%
I'm allergic
No votes
Peanut butter is tasteless filth
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 9

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:42 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:15 am

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:16 am

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:46 am

Okay, then.

Have a cookie!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:03 am

how could you do this to me

@_@

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:44 pm

I do not eat it, but my fiance recommends this sandwich recipe:

Peanut Butter + Banana + Honey + Raisins

@American Peanut Butter

Now I'm curious what the Dutch version looks like! Hmm, this site just says "Please note that Dutch peanut butter is very different from American peanut butter" but fails to elaborate... this one says "it has a sharper taste than North American sweet peanut butter; being closer in taste to a satay sauce"

From various googlings, it seems that the "Calve" brand, at least, seems similar in color and texture to our own creamy type.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Hmm, satay sauce is spicier than peanut butter I'd say. *looked up some recipes* Yes, there are additional ingredients like red pepper, onions, garlic and soy sauce (keçap).

Eww @ the load of sugar in American PB. Dutch PB is, maybe not exactly salty, but definitely not sweet. Around 90% peanuts, the rest mostly vegetable oil, and a little sugar and salt. No corn syrup or any of that stuff.
Kimiko

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Mmm! I'll have to hunt for some whenever I'm next at the Asia Mart in the city. They might have some.

I believe American PB only has to be 80% peanuts. I bet even your creamy is thicker than ours (from what I see in photos is seems that way) I was also reading that the Dutch word for it, pindakaas, actually would translate as "Peanut cheese?" That's from google-translating the dutch wikipedia entry, so I might have that wrong. Etymology is awesome!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:17 pm

is now the time to direct everyone to my erotic peanut butter fiction

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Yes, 'pindakaas' literally means 'peanut cheese'. I never knew why it's called that (in German it's 'Erdnußbutter', in French 'beurre de cacahuettes', etc.), but when looking up info for you just now I came across an explanation. Apparently when the stuff was first introduced here from the US, 'butter' was a term with legal restrictions (probably regarding fat/milk/water content), so it couldn't properly be called 'pindaboter'. There was/is some kind of meat product called 'leverkaas' ('liver cheese', which actually has nothing to do with cheese; it is made of liver though), which the importer took as inspiration for the current Dutch word for peanut butter.
Also, according to one website, the Dutch are the biggest consumers of PB after USAians and Canadians. In Germany, supermarkets usually sell American brands, but Asian food shops sell the Dutch variety (maybe because it's an easy base for sateh sauce).
Kimiko

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:58 pm

67 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”