Guild and Class selection

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

980 posts
igniz13
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Guild and Class selection

Postby igniz13 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 am

On the 5th Strata, I entered with

MP GA AZ
PH NM

The monk was about 5 levels behind everyone else due to resting, the Monk with sub 200 health and low defences just died, for the first few floors there were no real issues, but the monk was just too vulernable. She would die to a single AOE attack from a Parrot (forget the name) and was generally very easy to kill with any nuke heavy mobs.

What's more there were too many healers with too little work and too little punch to do things when they didn't need to heal, but because the frontline AZ was also vulnerable (but 10 levels higher than the Monk), there might be an excess of healing / status removal and with a seemingly slow team and a fast but weak healer, it was hard to keep up as things just wouldn't happen when I needed them to.

For example, I'd start combat with no need whatsoever to heal, but buffs like prevent order would come in too late to be useful and any damage would need healing on the first round by the ninja.

Most encounters were okay, the RR combo would end 99% of fights in 2 rounds, unless something went wrong. There were just the odd battles, usually with Volt spewing monsters, that would prove problematic.

I later switched to

HP PG GA
NM AZ

The PG was part of an experiment that didn't work, turns out, the damage from Berzerker's vow come's into effect after Reinforce and becomes too risky if you skill it up enough for White Flame.

The HP was level 35 ish when I brought them in, sadly, they still had more survivability than the Monk though did even less damage. With a back rank AZ to spare the NM some work, and a Kagarou Avenger combo to spare everyone even more, it worked out okay but for foes where damage was still a bit low.

Even if I had a front line worth boosting with Attack order, auto-attacks wouldn't do enough damage to warrant their use without a dedicated Tank to reduce the increased damage you'd take and the RR combo was killing things in 2 rounds anyway, so it's even more of a moot point.

And then...

In any case, I've got a New Game+ to explore, seems a waste to run through it with a new team of 25+ retired characters, so I might start a new game.

Because I like the princess class so much, I might start a:

PPP
NB

team which later becomes

PG PH PZ
?? ??

I dunno

I did want to run a
M G B
N H
team so I can have access to all the binds, all the elemental attacks and a boat load of status effects, but I also want to work with some of the classes and options I didn't bother with, like Z, W and some kind of Ninja Assassin

isometric
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby isometric » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:14 pm

igniz13
Ragelope

Postby igniz13 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Um no

Basically, I was worried over nothing.

jubango
Ragelope

Postby jubango » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first EO game, and I'm having a blast, but I was wondering if I could get some help with my party. Right now I'm on b4f (really early, I know) and I just feel like my group isn't strong enough. Right now it looks like this:

H G M
A P

The party is about level 11, and I haven't been able to defeat any FOES, let alone the boss.

From what I've seen, the hoplite is bog standard, with max line guard and not much else. The Gladiator has max Break. the monk has the minimum necessary to reach party Heal, with a couple points in form qi. The Prince made a beeline for monarch March, with one point in attack order. And finally the Arbalist has 5 heavy shot and 1 volt barrage. Is there anything I can do to make this party more efficient? I also have a zodiac in reserve with combat study.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:47 am

Marii
Ragelope

Postby Marii » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Alright, I'm about to get this game, and I'm just wondering, what's considered the strongest party? Or, at the very least, which class/subclass combinations are considered the most powerful?

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 am

I'm personally fond of Zodiac/Wildling. Gets you the drums skills, you can spam Dark Ether and also gives you the bind inflicting beasts for a few specific fights (Shin and Elder Dragon mainly). In larger fights you can toss out Meteor for some decent damage.

Arbalist sub gives you Double Action which actually does work with the single target spells (Not Meteor though) and the Barrages which are much more powerful than the AoE spells. Generally its the sub of choice for most Zodiacs.

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:34 am

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:43 am

sponge7325
Killclaw

Postby sponge7325 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:57 pm

I know that I'm probably just SUPPOSED to feel weak by this point, mostly because I'm kinda under-leveled, but I'm almost halfway through Stratum 4 and the monsters here are kind of insane. I'll just leave my party here and see if anyone wants to comment on them...

Prince/Buccaneer
Buccaneer probably looks like a rather odd choice, but it actually works really well for me! The only reason I picked it is because I had gotten what I assume is the best Sword at that point, and I decided that I should try and see if he can maximize damage with that. So far, the damage is really nice (Well, mostly considering that its a class mostly meant for buffing and stuff...) and I'm not regretting the decision (yet)... Mostly he just buffs everyone possible at the start, then either starts following up allies attacks, or just attacks on his own.

Hoplite/Ninja
Obviously, I went for Ninja so that she could have much higher evade, and so she could also clone herself for maximum defensive potential (I haven't gotten any skill points into cloning though, still working on the evade...). Anyways, she just defends everyone right now. Whenever my team gets wiped out, she's always the last to go because of her amazing survivability :P

Warrior/Hoplite
Not sure why I went for Hoplite as a sub, I suppose I just thought that Warrior could work by itself and just wanted a few more skill points. Possibly I can use it to add a bit more defense or something though. Anyways, all she does is attack and do damage, mostly. I used to maker her use Nine Smashes quite abit, but now it kinda sucks so...

-Front Row ^-
-Back Row V-

Zodiac/Monk
Again, not sure why I went for that sub, probably for just skill points. Anyways, all she does is Etheric Charge and Meteor, mostly. Sometimes I have her use her one Fire attack, when low on MP or there's not a lot of enemies that I really have to worry about. I should probably get her some more skills. xD

Monk/Whatever
Not sure what I subbed my Monk, which is really weird cause I was just playing the game a second ago... I'll edit it in when I figure it out again but I'm pretty sure it was only for the Skill Points again. Anyways, she heals, heals, heals, and heals. Not much else. Sometimes she attacks, but it hardly ever does anything.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

sponge7325
Killclaw

Postby sponge7325 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Gladiator, yes, I meant Gladiator... Srrsly what the heck is wrong with my memory...

The Prince is my "Main Character" of sorts, so I don't think I'll be retiring him, unless it's to upgrade him more. And I don't think I'll be turning my Monk into a buffer too, so I think I might keep him as is cause no other class would really suit him all too well...

As for the Hoplite, going Monk doesn't sound too bad. I'd hate to lose the evade, but if I'd have my Monk cloning herself to heal, I think the trade-off would be fair enough.

Possibly I could give my Gladiator the Monk subclass too, for the aforementioned "heal when you use a skill" thing. Using that Beserker Howl (Or whatever it's called, again, wat the heck memory) takes away quite abit of HP, so maybe it could help negate that?

I somewhat dislike how much TP it takes away just to use Meteor a few times, so I think that I might go with an Arbalist sub for my Zodiac and learn some more elemental spells other than just that one spell that I had. :P

Cloned healers sounds beautiful though, I am definitely giving my Monk the Ninja sub.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:47 pm

980 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”