Guild and Class selection

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

980 posts
Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Guild and Class selection

Postby Fluffernuff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 am

I'm going to be trying post game without hoplite, myself

(not sure what i should or shouldnt spoiler... so being safe)

Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Fluffernuff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:20 am

im thinking about a weird Ambush Stance/Makibishi/Counter/Retaliate thingy going on
(Shogun's Daifuhensha pretty much dwarfs provoke and otori to a degree)

itll be like... attack my party if you dare xD

though im not NEARLY far enough to play with THAT yet :3

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Daifuhensha is best buff.

I had a Bodyguard/Daifuhensha combo going once with a Ninja/Hoplite and a Arbalist/Shogun. It made bosses that had limited or no full party attacks hilarious to fight.

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:30 am

Anyone ever try a Z/B or B/Z for the postgame?

I was throwing together stuff for a postgame party that doesn't want to be WM, and I figure it could work really well. Eagle Eye every time it's down, Dark Ether to fuel the two heavy-hitters up front on their nuke turns, Pincushion with some book farming to use on dead turns.

The book farming might be a major reason to never consider it, but I want to give it a try.

Also, which would work better? B/Z would get effectively -10 on their Pincushion cost as well as have higher starting Str and Agi, while Z/B would have a permanently larger tp pool.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:45 am

i would think a B/Z's biggest strength would be E.charged singularity swashbuckling using eagle eye/dark ether as needed

my thought is if youre wanting to utilize pimcushion at all, the larger TP pool wouldnt be worth the loss in str/agi

if youre worried about dark ethering/eagle eyeing, youll want the larger TP pool, since trickster doesnt refund them

another thing to consider is B/Z gets medium armor and Z/B gets light

Tldr;
B/Z- better armor. Cheaper pincushion. usable pincushion. can better abuse weakness swashbuckling (better weapons)

Z/B- better TP pool to abuse DE and Eagle eye. is a zodiac, so has usuable stars/binaries. POSSIBLE on par/better damager through limit boost for hellfire spam (or other elemental limit shenanigans)
though i dont know how relable that would be vs pincushion spam... but it seems pincushin isnt high on your priority, so you might be able to weigh that better

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:04 am

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:21 am

so i was looking at the skill sim to see what kind of shenanigans i could do with B/Z or Z/B and my exact thought process was;

"well if were going for pincushion, but we're /z, why not build for Mete-....OOOOOOHHHHH.... THAAAAAAAAATS why...."

i dont think double the cost is worth any POSSIBLE if ANY existing damage increases between pnicushion and meteor lol

im still kind of interested to see how often a Z/B could charge a limit up through limit boosting Hellfire(i dunno the other elemental limits) vs. pincushion. Z/B would get ether mastery, where trickster wouldnt exactly help hellfire either since its free..

...in fact... how exactly does limit build? with limit boost PLUS a limit weapon... how much WOULD a hellfire PLUS pincushion charge?

small edit: i mean like does the multi-hitting limit... build limit? how much limit is built? is it per hit? per action? if you combine the multi-hits from PC+HF how much does it chargre? 20%(1 in ever 5 turns)? 50%(1 in every 2?)? fully (spammable)? maybe sneaking in blitz? making it useful? eh? EHH?
imkiddingdonthurtme

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 am

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:34 am

i mean it depends on how much hellfire would contribute to building. and how much pincushion would ultimately... if we assume hellfire DOES build limit as weel and pushes it over to 1-in-3 turns... would you think hellfire+pincushion turn would be worth it? just thinking out loud here and dont under stand that chin chung(not trying to be racist ;-; i really dont understand) language xD

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:46 am

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:41 pm

yknow... the more i play with my group... the more i wanna try a WM based around chasing Royal Radiance and Cloudburster

bunshin N/P is 2 RRs every 2 turns(would be better than 1 RR every turn since id have to wait anyway). and WM chases RR

...the only problem is the WMer... would have to either be my tank or id have to go without a tank. ESPECIALLY if i wanna be cheeky and have 2 cloudbursters
....im finding A mains just dont have enough TP to be reliable WM users.

....has anyone played around with this idea?
my "tank right now is aready P/S... even though his attack is poo and his only buff would be daifuhensha(and the boost from WM), hed still be chasing 4-6 attacks...

should i try it and see? or replace him with say a more defensive G or a more powerful H (guardian might help the WM def drop?)?

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:51 am

Yeah the BIGGEST concern with that setup would easily be the tank sustainability with the WM def drop. P/S would have the better TP management (and.... maybe possibly better damage because swords?) as where H/S would have guardian that could "mitigate" the Def loss though likely to do even MORE pitiful damage.... the idea is hoping Daifu+WM+ anyattackbuffherprobablyattackorder would do.... something
.... thats assuming we go with the tank as a chaser for say... an X/Z or Z/X RR bait setup

my current idea is to have 2 "self chasers"... POSSIBLY throwing in the tank as a chaser if i really must-
assumming Tank (P/S or H/S assuming i plan on having them chase... or further buff with fore honor cuz WM priority anyway), M/P healer, N/P support, and 2 S/A's

assuming Tank chaser, M/P healer, N/P support, X/Z or Z/X RR bait(taking advantage of echarge+singularity), and chase bait (S/B i guess? im finding they dont proc much though)

I know this is a bit off topic, but i had my EOU team function off a similar tactic and it just.... ripped though bosses just as easily as random encounters. most chasers are more worth it the more you have+the number of chases you get
id like to think these setups at least utilize the group dynamic a bit more to maximize limited slots, while still being "balanced" (Tank, healer, 2-3 attackers). is it purely optimized to be the best of the best of the best? no... but i like... never build for that lol

TheTruthOfPerfection
Ragelope

Postby TheTruthOfPerfection » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:19 am

I go with a main party of:

Front
Shogun/Buccaneer - Typical Shuccaneer, Swashbuckling focused. Hanging, Lights Out, Eag's Eye, Olympic Sword for other stuffs when needed. I always max out 2nd Sword, not sure of most people do this or not. Not enough points to max out Pincushion, sadly, since I take Olympic Sword. Always tempted to put more points into HP Up, but I want my P/S to have more HP for a higher chance of getting targeted in superboss battles in case I forget to renew Daifuhensha.

Princess/Shogun - Mainly for WM and buffs. I actually have never used Protect Order in my main team before. Never felt the need to, plus the SP are always needed elsewhere. During Superboss battles, Daifuhensha+Royal Veil+WM works well. I tend to stop using Attack/Defend Order altogether as I eventually get the SP sorted out for WMing all the time. Being able to throw out a WM for every random battle is so good, and I never have to worry about TP, 'cause I can just regen it all anyway. Knighthood is there so my N/M can fire off Ressurect before Full Heal.

Hoplite/Arbalist - Anti-Elements and Bodyguard when needed, and elemental barrages for random battles. Front mortar for the rare chances I happen to have nothing for my H/A to do during Superboss battles. usually using anti-element, or bodyguarding my P/S. I can never decide how many points to put into barrages/FMortar, cause I don't use them too often, and don't want the TP cost to run too high.

Back
Ninja/Monk - Double active healers, who heal fast and cheap, and can heal well, because they have good TEC? And they can autoheal themselves for a large amount of their low max HP? YES PLEASE! Lv. 1 Line Heal is good enough for the main game, and only costs 1TP, too, so that's awesome. Izuna makes so many annoying random enemies just vanish, and Lv. 3 Takanoha replaces my normal attack, for 2-3 hits of 85% damage at just 1TP. Karuwaza keeps the TP flowing forever, and I can save 9 SP by giving my P/S Knighthood, instead of maxing out Ressurect. Otori is there to make building my P/S's TP back up go faster. I can never tell how much farther I should go with Refresh/Unbind, Senpuku, Karuwaza, or Party Heal.

Zodiac/Gladiator - All rounder, with 1 point in each Prophecy, and maxed Meteors. I also have a point into Arm Breaker, so my team has access to all the binds, and maxed Wolf Howl, in case we manage to get a bind/ailment on the enemy. Wolf Howl stacks with binds AND ailments, right? Just by looking at Elder Dragon damage with Wolf Howl on him makes me think it definitely does. Does ATK or STR actually effect Meteor damage? I think I read it did somewhere, but was never sure on how much it did, if it did. If it doesn't then I'll just stick the Metal Keisaku on my Z/G instead, for more limit building. I like my Lv. MAX Wolf Howl, but I might be able to be convinced to put the points elsewhere.

I make it a habit to NEVER carry more than 2 of ANY set of items. Example: no more than 2 Nectar/Nectar II/Nectar III total. I will carry around different kinds of items, though. If I take more than that, it's cheesing the game, IMO, and I don't want to do that.

I kinda need advice on how to put the last several skill points into each character, expect maybe Z/G. I like how that one is, but am not too sure on how effective a maxed wolf howl is for this team. Also not too sure how this team'd fare against Abyssal God, once they hit 99 after 99 retire again(with or without stat book farming). Also, is Lv. 3 Takanoha stronger than Lv. 10 Kagenui against superbosses? I usually use Kagenui until I get the first leg bind, then spam Takanoha for the rest of the battle.

The possibilities of the past and future are as various as our imaginations. How far we can think, and what we can think of, is dependent on each of us, and what we believe in.

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Tue May 05, 2015 4:00 am

Alright, i got my first party together (after 5 tries)

I decided to make it Gladiator and wildling in the front line and zodiac, hoplite, and monk
the reason it took me so long to make a party was that i wanted a fast attacker to set of a bucceners chases, but at the same time i wanted wildling in the front WITH their summons, so that wasen't gonna work. so i finally kicked the buccener for a gladiator.
I used to be a Fighter like you, but then I took a phoot to the leg

980 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”