Postby Zaraf » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:05 am

You can now view the finalized project here on ItL:

The Skill Simulator Intro page:
http://www.intothelabyrinth.net/etriano ... mintro.php

The Skill Simulator:
http://www.intothelabyrinth.net/etriano ... /skillsim/

- Maxine MagicFox

--------------
Well, for those of you who didn't know, I've been busy with a "secret project" for EO3 recently. That project is a Skill Simulator. I enlisted the help of our good friend negzee who did a fantastic job in helping this project come to light. We wouldn't be seeing this here today if not for his efforts.

What is a Skill Simulator? Well basically it lets you plan out your builds for your various characters. It lets you easily figure out what level your characters need to be to reach various skills, and also what you'll be capable of getting. This helps to prevent any wasted skill points that you later regret. It does all of this in a beautiful interface that is both fun and easy to use.

So without further delay, I present it here for you all :)

http://www.ualberta.ca/~fqureshi/EO3/SkillSim/

Maxine has been gracious enough to offer to host the Skill Simulator on the main site here. We will be doing that once we finish the last bit of details we'd like to do.

I've written up a help file in the skill sim itself for those of you who are confused as to how to use it. It's fairly detailed, so have a read through it and you shouldn't have any trouble.

There are currently some known issues that I will list here:

Known Issues:
1) Compatibility issues with Internet Explorer - For those of you who don't know, IE is junk. Get something else. For those of you who insist on using IE, make sure you use IE8, as the skill sim will work in it (although there are some visual issues present that don't hinder functionality). Earlier versions of IE may cause the skill sim to not work at all. In general, we do not recommend using this in IE.

2) Bad translations - I've taken the translations for the skills and descriptions from this site and what I found on Gamefaqs. I just picked whatever I felt was most accurate, but that was more of a gut feeling than any real knowledge. For the skill names, I don't care about the translations at this point, since the entire skill sim will be updated once the English version comes out (with the English names). If you find that a description incorrectly describes a skill, or that the details are wrong, then please let me know and I will correct it accordingly.

3) Skill Simulator is too wide - We realize that the skill sim may be a bit wide for some people's resolutions. My suggestions at this point are that you can run it in full screen (F11) which will help the vertical area, and then scroll sideways. You can also adjust the zoom in your browser. Or just increase your resolution. In the future we may provide an alternative layout which would be more convenient for people with lower resolutions.

4) Copy to Clipboard Line Breaks - In the Export to Text, if you click on Copy to Clipboard and then paste into Notepad, you will find the text all on a single line, and not formatted correctly. This is an issue with Notepad in that it does not correctly identify the line breaks. To solve this, just select all of the text (Ctrl + A) in the Export to Text window and copy/paste. Or you can use Word Pad, MS Word, or anything else.

Please provide some feedback on this tool so that we can improve it further. Thanks to the people who provided some help in the beta testing.

We hope you enjoy using it! :)

-Zaraf and negzee
Last edited by Zaraf on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:28 am

Oops! I just noticed there was a bit of last-minute IE7 testing CSS I forgot to remove... ^^;; I'll get Zaraf updated files in the morning.

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:10 am

Just a few things for you:

(Royals)
Reinforces description says it heals the entire party. It only heals the people you actually buff.

(Warrior)
Just semantics here...
Wolf Howl says 'reduces enemies DEF by X' for its levels. It should 'reduces DEF to X'. Or else you're implying it gets less effective as you level it and it starts best at Lvl 1.

(Phalanx)
Blitzritter, surely? Not Blitz Litter. At least, I assume they're referring to the German word, Blitzritter, which is basically 'Lightning-Knight' or 'Flash-Knight'

(Pirate)
For the Rapier skills, you say 'Saber' in the description. Not that important, but might be confusing.

(Monk)
Don't know if you want to put the fact that Fist Mastery also 'upgrades' the weapon power of not having a weapon from a flat 1 to:
((Character Level + STR) * (Skill Level/10))
So having Fst Master 10, 99 STR, and LVL 99 results in a weapon of power 219 being equipped when there's no weapon. (its actually 198, but there's also the 11% bonus from Fist Mastery)

The counters are the wrong way around (I is physical, II is magical).

Focus Energy (Unique skill). 'Increases healing by 120%' implies it is more than twice as effective! (should be Increases healing by 20%)

(Zodiac)
All zodiac spells say they create infernos (!) or flames. Copypasta go!

(Beast Royal)
Might want to put on the Tiger's secondary feature. Its initial attack tries to instagib, but after that, it counters hits each turn.

Bull and Elephant only attack single targets in subsequent attacks.

Edit:Oh yeah, just noticed that Beast Roar is listed as a Passive Skill when its an Active one.

(Ballista/Farmer/Shogun)
All fine.

------
But anyway, fantastic work guys. This is a really, really useful feature.
Last edited by eharper256 on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Self
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Self » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 am

Last edited by Self on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:28 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:40 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

vespertine
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby vespertine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:04 pm

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:07 pm

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Zaraf
Fenrir

Postby Zaraf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:43 am

Self
Fenrir

Postby Self » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 am

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 am

Zaraf
Fenrir

Postby Zaraf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:45 pm

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:13 pm

Yes, the Android can be whatever he likes for subclass. It's just you can't subclass anyone else into Android.

If you have him, though, then no Shogun. Except in New Game +.

I suppose another thing you could do is put down whether a skill is Head/Arm/Leg (in terms of what can't be bound to use it). Though I don't know if that information is actually around anywhere. If it's not, don't worry.
Last edited by eharper256 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

105 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”