Etrian Odyssey 3DS?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

107 posts
Emrin
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Emrin » Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 am

Yoonah
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Yoonah » Tue May 31, 2011 4:20 am

when you eat the ice cream, tiny F.O.Es go into your bloodstream and block your arteries

...and then you die
*game over screen*

Punching people is very romantic, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
MATERNITY SPIRAL

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:30 am

ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope

Re: Etrian Odyssey 3DS?

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Cloud labyrinth explored in airships

Stratum 1: Sky gardens
2: Stormy weather
3: Castle in the sky
4: One particular cloud
5: A maze of Roman piazzas filled with statues and fountains, nestled in the clouds

Just dreaming here...

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Eh. I would just be happy if they looked back at what worked, what didn't, and tried again.

For example, Farmers. They were probably hoping players would bring Farmers into the party for easier exploration, as well as battle support. This did not work for two reasons. First, is Monarch's March. This is as good as it will get in making exploration easy. If Farmer's had this ability instead of Princes, I can guarantee you that almost every party would take a Farmer. The second reason is the way status resistances are handled. Strange Seeds and stuff is a really cool idea, but enemies gain resistances to status effects with every application... meaning the Farmer will soon be left with nothing effective to do for a battle.

And, you know, I am not quite sure why Farmers have low STR. I am pretty sure Farmers would be pretty strong from working the fields and whatnot. :b It only bugs me because they are so cute and have so many oddball weapons in which only they can equip. I tried so hard to use a Farmer!

Then again, if not Princes, every game has had something that was just notably dominant over everything else. Immunization + Defender, War Magus + Hexer >>>> Medic, and so on. I find classes like the Dark Hunter in EOII were just right. They were situationally very strong, and not just "always very strong".

I would love an Etrian Odyssey 3DS in any form, just to experience the environments. Now, I am not usually the sort to care about graphics, but blocky N64-age polygons really limit the possibilities for expression for the artists and developers. I find the generation of gaming after N64, while not as powerful as the current gen, is just enough to start implementing smoother details. About as much as you could ever need for a tiny portable screen.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 pm

I'd love for Atlus Japan to just hire better testers :/ Balance is something they're just not really ever good at it seems.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:18 pm

^ Well, SMT usually takes a while into the game to completely break.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:23 pm

And on the subject of new EO games, I've been thinking about the stratums they might have. I mean EO I had the basic idea. Like something to work up from. They had stratums that would make players think that things could indeed get better. Then EO II came out. The stratums did get better and they had a theme: the seasons, or to me it seemed like the theme was seasons. Personally I loved the stratums in the second game. They're were more realistic than the first game's stratums and they were distinct and fascinating. At times I found myself just standing in the Frozen Grounds or the Auburn Thicket and I would just put my DS in front of me and watch the snow, or the leaves, or the cherry blossoms fall. I would watch my DS and just lose myself in thought. Then when they moved on to EO III they again had a theme. It made sense that you would begin at a forest, you would notice the water levels begin to rise, the next stratum was just water based, and after that there was lava. There was a sequence and it made sense all the way down to the farthest of floors. But I've begun to wonder what stratums they might pull off if they indeed work on an EO IV. They might begin with a forest stratum like they have for the previous games. But then what? Honestly I can't wait to see what they manage to pull off next. I'm both optimistic and pessimistic about these ideas because things can either work or stink. I hope they work and that in the end, if they indeed are working/release a new EO game, we are all satisfied, or most of us at least.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 am

Well, Atlus seemed to like using teleporters in EOII, and even moreso in EOIII, so it's no longer just a straightforward:

1st stratum
VVVVVVVV
2nd stratum
VVVVVVVV
3rd stratum
VVVVVVVV
4th stratum
VVVVVVVV
5th stratum
VVVVVVVV
6th stratum

or the other way around.

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:18 am

maybe next game, they'll explain how sunlight can reach 30 floors underground...

MATERNITY SPIRAL

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 am

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:54 am

day/night cycle...

WHAT IS THIS?!?!

MATERNITY SPIRAL

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 am

Also they need mechanics that scale.

Skills that heal by a flat number are going to make the game too easy at the start, and end up being completely ineffective by the end. Monarch's March only works because the highest healing value is enough to recuperate between battles... it works because you can scale it up as much as you need. Needs formulas that involve stats so they grow with the character and are not so cheap early on. Same thing applies to a few of the damage mechanics. Poison does too much early on, and should really scale with the attacker's tech or something.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:39 am

Poison was much worse/better? in EOII. At least it requires some setup in EOIII.
I ran a lolthxbaiHexer in EOII who could simply auto-win nearly any given battle in the first two or three strata. Only in my backup team, though.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Poison was good in EO1, good in EO2, and terribly shitty in EO3.

107 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”