Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

107 posts
Mostlyjoe
Ragelope

Postby Mostlyjoe » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Solie
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Solie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Bah, STILL no new information on EO 3DS? It's possibly one of my more anticipated games. Although as launch day approaches here in Canada I'm psyched for Street Fighter IV too.

Oh well, if you have any new information at all. Know of a site that frequently interviews Atlus or links to any general recent information that can be analyzed like CERO or ESRB ratings or online store inventory. I suppose they're fairly distracted with pushing Catherine at the moment.

On to brainstorming then. What fun features could be added to a Brand new EO on 3DS? How about some customization features to make your party and characters more unique along with a streetpass feature that exchanges your party data. Other parties will appear as recruitable guildmembers in either the guild or the bar.

-I would also like to see some more balanced difficulty or just an increase in general selectable or not. If you've played EO2 you'll know that the difficulty rapidly decreases the further you are into the game. Most of the enemies you'll encounter will just be using stronger versions of physical moves you've encountered before. I'd like to see more strategy or varied enemies like a group of low health creatures that will instant KO party members after a set number of turns while you try to quickly take them out. Or a fast moving FoE in a room full of creatures that apply a persisting status effect and run setting up for this FoE to shred your party.
Something else that would be a big help and also make things interesting is more details on individual monsters to better predict their abilities. For each one you fell you would update your knowledge of that monster (Possibly with a passive class ability) to a maximum of 100% effectively revealing it's moves and what sort of items/abilities to carry to counter it. Which leads me to my next idea.

-Limiting your character abilities, Multi classing is a great idea but the the way it was applied in EO3 made for all Prince/princess subclasses to be the most effective class to have in your party. My proposition to fix this is limiting your character to a specific number of passive/active abilities they can take into the dungeon with them. When you've learned/enhanced them they'll be in their move list for good. But you have to pick which ones you'll be taking on your dungeon run. I think this would encourage more strategy and make things feel a little more tense on lengthy dungeon crawls.

-Redesigned Skill trees? Currently we rely on skill calculators and just surprising ourselves when picking through skills. "Oh this is required for this? *levels up skill* " Maybe a more formal skill tree is in order where you can see all of the abilities and their prerequisites in a scrollable skill Tree for each class. Putting the more powerful or upgrade abilities up top and the starter stuff near the bottom. Skills that are effectively weaker versions of later skills could offer synergy of some kind much like Diablo 2 Lord of destruction after it got patched. I'm not sure if Atlus is up to the job but I'd love as varied of skills as possible, Everything should have a good use and allow for very DIFFERENT characters. So that you can build a Hexer or Phalanx whichever way you desire and have it play differently from someone else's you've exchanged with.

-Online interactions with other players could be handled a number of ways but here's the two that I figure would be possible and easiest to implement.
::A Separate dungeon from the main storywide one that would allow interaction between players in the way that you could see them moving around via icons on your map much like FOEs. Here you could either explore together (Parties would be formed in the guild hall or Wifi-bar) or aid other parties by entering their battles and taking on the monsters together.

::Alternatively (My preference) would be interaction with people who have the game who are on your friends list. When entering town data would be downloaded which would update the guild hall with the accomplishments, quests, or party members of opposing guilds. A friend mentioned EO lacks competition between guilds which could be a lot of fun. I envision you could check a message board of sorts containing records of other guilds and their active party members. Each party member would have records like number of battles fought, monsters killed, Deaths, or BIOs. Ways to make parties feel very different, you wouldn't view their equipment just their skills and information. In Addition to this you could send out SOS calls a le pokemon mystery dungeon to get a rescue from a friend when your party falls in battle. Or to take things a step further. People on your friends list playing in the labyrinth on the same floor as you will be visible, have joinable battles, and be able to provide rescues to each other. In addition you might get updates of your friends acheivements like (Solace has reached the 21st Floor! ) or various first time things like defeating a powerful FoE or an area boss. I'd mainly like to greatly increase the interaction between guilds which is a challenge in turn based games so it's easier to add social features. When entering a boss floor you might get something like (A powerful suppressing aura permeates this floor) Which disables communications and interaction between players to keep things good and scary. And above all, difficult.

I'm sure I could think of more, but I'll give you guys a chance to discuss. REMEMBER,this is an Etrian Odyssey Fansite we are obligated to put some thought towards this game.

Randomnicity
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Randomnicity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:47 am

Simultaneous boss fights. Splitting your party in two to fight two bosses at the same time.

And all the jazz that comes with that, like attacking one boss with a Fire Element causes the other's Fire Element attacks to become stronger. Or using Pierce drops the guard of the other boss, etc. Conditional drops that require both bosses to be beaten on the same turn.

One boss fully binds the characters facing it then starts to deal huge amounts of damage until you deal a certain amount/type of damage to the other one.

Or a boss that flees from the first subparty to the second subparty. Leaving behind spawns, which have a deadly combination attack if the boss returns to the first party.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prMFx7Q7EMk&feature=related[/youtube]

Geez, I was wondering when this thread would see a revival XD

Anyway, we're still not 100% sure there's going to be an Etrian Odyssey 3DS.
There aren't even any rumors going around, atm :V

However, feel free to speculate all you like 8)

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:15 am

We're definitely overdue for some new/more information on EOIV. They gotta at least release more than the simple "Yeah put EO on the list of upcoming 3DS games." I mean I'm glad it was even mentioned but we need something else to devour so we know that they aren't lying to us. I'm so glad that the people working with the Etrain series are still in it together. I haven't heard anything about them fighting with each other or arguing or something so that's really good news to me. If they love working with each other than they must have at least mentioned something about EOIV at some point while working together. And I'm not gonna lie... I want a whip-wielding/swinging class in EOIV. Binds and flashy outfits made the Dark Hunters a must have in EOI and EOII to me. All I can do now is wait and hope for some new information to appear.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:31 am

*shrugs*

meh, this is the way it was for SQ3.
Information drought for quite some time, then a sudden "we're not dead" announcement XD

Randomnicity
Ragelope

Postby Randomnicity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:47 am

A lot of the titles announced for the 3DS have had only year old press releases on which franchises were getting new entires/remakes for the 3DS.

Most of them don't even have proper names.

Like the ones I'm waiting for, Squeenix's FF and DQ titles. Namdai's SRW and Dragon Ball, I'm just praying this is a sequel to AotS. Konami's Contra and MGS. And of course Atlus has a SMT (in addition to DS:Overclock) and Persona along with EO3DS.

Oh and Majesco's Martha Stewart game.

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:27 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 am

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I admit, unless they have some kind of z-buffered-sprite voodoo going on, the choices are going to be 1) No 3D during battle, 2) paper-cutout-looking 3D in battle, or 3) 3D models instead of sprites.

None of those sound especially appealing, if 3D dungeons are assumed.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 pm

paper cutouts wouldn't be horrible

-PLA

Solie
Ragelope

Postby Solie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 am

Emrin: I was fairly disappointed when I learned EO3 was using all new classes to fit the new region. I would like to see a return of the originals with improvements or maybe character customization to the point of being able to make your character LOOK like a dark hunter.

Randomnicity: Sounds like an interesting boss encounter. I imagine killing spawns left behind by one of the main bosses would get pretty hectic. Whereas having the two together in the other subparty might be dangerous but at least manageable since you've been fighting it for a bit.

Scy: I try to steer clear of that sort of difficulty in games. Not that it isn't hard but rather I just don't like how it's implemented. You've played the Dark Spire right? That game is known for some pretty lengthy and often dangerous dungeon crawls. From the beginning area if you don't have a wizard in your party and enter the first basement you will more than likely get ambushed by something that will murder your entire party. I like that kind of fear but I also like to have moments like that late game too. Obviously you'd have more control over your situation late game though after all of the training you've done.

When I said skill trees I was more or less referring to an aesthetic skill tree that you could scroll through like Diablo 2/WoW/etc Not that I'm saying their way is best. I'd prefer something with lots of green, vines and plant life. Either a touch and drag interface to move through it or maybe a really large zoomed out version that you can tap to zoom in. (Or BOTH) Just sort of a fun way to organize everything and have some late powerful abilities to look forward to on your grind up the ranks.

As far as class revision goes what do you guys think? I think with most games You get either the basics of 'Physical attacker, Magical attacker, Healer, Tank' And then many different classes that play somewhat differently but fulfill the same roles. The Landsknecht/Warrior of EO2 and 3 are standard physical attackers with skills divided into different weapons which let them inflict different statuses or go the Area effect route. Whereas the Buccaneer is a bit squishier with lots of multihit abilities and some elemental attacks. Both are essentially fulfilling the same role. Which is okay if we have a lot of choices. Like maybe class everybody into different party roles. Most parties are hard pressed to go without a Phalanx without grinding come boss times.

A friend suggested maybe including mercenaries that don't gain experience, just gold. So say you'd have a thief type character with skills focused around escaping FOEs. Getting high yield experience, cash, and treasure even by himself. And uses his funds to pay mercenaries to take on bosses. You'd end up with a high level main character with the best equipment money can buy. Although with any class like that it's self limiting as in more party members reduces the yields of his gold and experience gains to normal, and treasure seeking becomes impossible in a full group.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:31 am

I'd like to see a cowboy class, the bastard child/perfect combo of dark hunter and pirate. Lassoos and guns, chaser skills and binds? That's be awesome. No clue how that would fit into the storyline, though.

Also instead of "color 1, color 2", I'd like to see a "base color, secondary color, skin, hair, eyes" kind of thing, with many different colors to choose from.

-PLA

Solie
Ragelope

Postby Solie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:44 pm

Visual Customization: If we go the 3D model route which I can't see Atlus taking on without significantly reducing the number of enemies or characters in game especially since they've built up this flat style over the course of 3 games. We could have swappable parts, faces, eyes, mouth, torso, legs, basically borrow something akin to Phantasy star online.

For flat characters we could have maybe 8 different pictures to choose from per class with freedom to choose all the colours of every piece like Zamisk mentioned. Or the alternative just an entire gallery of character images with configurable colours not restricted to any class. These would be viewable online by people on your friends list or perhaps you could pick one to represent your guild leader to act as your in game avatar of sorts.

107 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”