Atlus class name translations

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Benkyo
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Atlus class name translations

Postby Benkyo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:28 am

Yay! for:
Hoplite, Arbalist and Wildling

Fair enough for:
Monk, Buccaneer, Gladiator and Farmer

Meh, for:
Zodiac and gender-dependant Prince(ss)

Boo! for:
Ninja

That's my take, anyway. Any thoughts?

Edited to upgrade my opinion on Buccaneer
Last edited by Benkyo on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Mutton Chops
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lord Mutton Chops » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:52 am

I like the buccaneer when it was pirate more, some goes for hoplite as a phalanx, and arbalist as a balista.

The rest of the names are fine though. Kinda eh on the wildling name, but it works well enough.

Benkyo
Fenrir

Postby Benkyo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:30 am

I agree that Pirate is better than Buccaneer, but the reason I don't like Phalanx, Ballista and Zodiac is that none of those nouns describe people or professions. Phalanx is like calling your class 'Square formation', Ballista is no better than 'Gun' or 'Bow' since there isn't anything like 'gunner' for such a weapon, and has the added bonus of being pronounced just like Barista with Japanese phonemes. Zodiac is no better than 'Constellations' but I can give Zodiac a pass for being just about exotic enough.

So on the whole I'm glad they changed what they did, I just can't understand Buccaneer and much prefer Shinobi to the Western Ninja.

There are so many alternatives for Pirate, too: Swashbuckler, Duelist, Rake... the list goes on.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:21 am

The thing that I did not like about "Pirate" is that it denotes the character's profession. Now, I know there's really no way I can put this in the proper terms considering we are talking about what does amount to professions already, but to me "Pirate" is saying 'sealand thief who enjoy pillage and plunder' while Buccaneer leaves it open as just someone that loves the great wide ocean who may or may not possibly be a pirate.

It all goes down to that "make your own story" thing. To me, "Pirate" just seemed like it was already restricting my story choice in a slight way.

I hate that they kept Princess as is. I was hoping for the looser "Royal" or "Noble" or something to that effect which would, again, open up some of my story path choices. Purple-haired, for instance, looks to me like she could be from some branch family who could be struggling to wrestle the crown and the current heir and her are now undertaking a challenge for their right to the throne by forming a guild and figuring out the mysteries of the ocean before the other does. ^_^;;

Meh, I guess I'll just stick with blondie, then in the end, who is miss "OMG I, LIKE, READ THIS STORY, AND LIKE, I'M NOW SO GOING TO COPY IT AND GO ON, LIKE MY OWN ADVENTURE, YOU KNOW!" ....... :[ I get the feeling me and her are going to be at odds with each other and there will be much strife between her and the guild she forms. Her guild members are obviously going to be a lot smarter and more aware than she is. o_o Ooooh, or maybe she'll do really well and prove to me and the others that she IS worth something and has a natural talent for this adventuring thing.

[] - [] - [] - []

Benkyo
Fenrir

Postby Benkyo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:00 am

Eh, I don't know. I think pirate is the broader term, to be honest. I guess they chose Buccaneer for the Caribbean association, but a buccaneer is just a Caribbean pirate, and historically more militarised and much more likely to raid inland as well as on the sea.

I suppose it does sound a bit more like an adventurer or swashbuckler than pirate does in modern use, I'll give you that.

I totally agree with you on the Prince thing. Noble or Royal would both be better.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:14 pm

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm

I was also hoping to see Royals and Beast Royals. But yeah, as noted, some of my original backstories allow for deposed Princesses and suchlike. You can also have a non-crown princess quite easily, like in my D&D setting where all of the drakahn princesses literally fight for the right to be a crown princess and marry into the royal line.

And I already had a bitch on a different thread about Hoplite, when they don't seem much at all like Greek Spearmen.

I suppose I've come to terms with Arbalist, though it implies a Crossbow, rather than a Ballista.

I think most people were annoyed at Buccaneer simply because you now can't have Pirates vs. Ninjas. But, I personally, don't mind this one. :)

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

gravejokler
Ragelope

Postby gravejokler » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

the names are weird

i agree, ninja=/=shinobi
lame
>={
I love dungeons...

Lord Mutton Chops
Killclaw

Postby Lord Mutton Chops » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Lord Zombie
Bloodant

Postby Lord Zombie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:12 pm

RPTR-00 [Y] , RPTR-01 [Y]

RPTR-02 [Y] RPTR-03 [Y] RPTR-04[Y]

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Lord Zombie
Bloodant

Postby Lord Zombie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:03 pm

KitsuAccalia
Fenrir

Postby KitsuAccalia » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Many things about the kitsune is mercurial, from their moods to their treatment of humans, to even the abilities some possess. Kitsune have a depth of personality as deep or even deeper than those of other Japanese characters. The reason for this, according to one source, is that the kitsune is the Trickster, in Japanese culture. They are there to teach those around them lessons.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Ehh, I like Wilding as a name. Yggdroid isn't as bad as everyone says it is, either. The artwork for them sucks, but the name itself is fine.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

26 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”