Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:41 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Centurion_Beta
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Centurion_Beta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:38 am

Sailing mainly made me fear the dungeon because (not preferring a resource-gathering team), I use sailing as an easy way to make money. Exploring the dungeon is so costly (at least, when you use as many wires as I do)...

However, I love how they packaged resource-gathering into one class (the farmer, obviously) as one skill. I love being able to throw three points into the farmer and get three of each type of resource for it.

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:19 am

They also packaged free warp wires into the farmer as well. Great money saver, and its why I swear by them.

Sailing is an excellent puzzle element to the game, figuring out which currents you need to take, and drawing the map after squinting and guessing at landmass shapes: which is EXACTLY how ancient explorers WOULD have mapped things.

When you finally get to [hide]shoot the pirates down[/hide] and sail most of the map, it really becomes rewarding, too.

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Centurion_Beta
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Centurion_Beta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Really? I'll have to check that out now. In the original EO, I loved how my alchemist made it so that, barring a total emergency where only one of my party members was left alive (or at least not my medic and alchemist), I never had to use warp wires (with the Warp skill, if I remember correctly). Darn it, this is the first time I've had trouble deciding what classes I want in my party. I've already got a prince that I want to use sometime, and the buccaneer is looking better and better, if you build a team around him. My problem is that I always see certain classes as required by the developers; To me it seems that they require you to have a medic/monk (for healing, obviously), alchemist/zodiac (for magic damage), and paladin/hoplite (for Line Guard) in your party unless you like a real challenge and/or dying a lot. So I only saw room for two party members of my choice, and for this initial runthrough I picked Gladiator and Arbalist, which if you convert them to EO1 characters, gives me a LP/ASM team, the first team I had on EO1. An interesting statistic, in my opinion.

That's one thing I like about the sailing element. The upside and downside is how you have to sail across every square inch of ocean and check every land mass to make sure you didn't miss anything. It's fun, but can be somewhat troublesome once you need to find the last few things, I gather.

I eagerly await the days that (1) [hide]I get a cannon and can shoot those pirates[/hide], and (2) [hide]I get a ship that can sail through reefs and seaweed[/hide].

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:50 pm

You have to find a few landmarks and do a little trading quest to get [hide]a cannon (the first one you get is broken, you have to take it to the pirate cove to the SSW to repair it, but before that you need to get the sails for the ship so you move 2 squares in a single move[/hide]). Landmarks are always the best key for getting upgrades.

Monk and Princess are interchangable, but yeah, at least one of those for healing is needed in all parties.

Magical damage is rarely REQUIRED, its just useful for hitting weakspots. If you can pump out sufficient physical dmg, you can leave a Zodiac behind.

Hoplite is nice, but not as essential, IMHO, as having a Defender used to be in earlier games.

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:

http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Centurion_Beta
Ragelope

Postby Centurion_Beta » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Ah, that makes sense. I've only done [hide] the lighthouse sea quests as of now, but I have Batavia and Ayutthaya unlocked for when I'm leveled up enough (since I already have the foremast)[/hide]. Right now all members of my party are level 12 or 13, so it's just an issue of picking the right ones to go or leveling up more, since I'm almost through B4 of the labyrinth.

abdar68
Ragelope

Postby abdar68 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 am

Optional Boss
Wyvern

Postby Optional Boss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Book Completion: 66%

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Optional Boss
Wyvern

Postby Optional Boss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:12 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:30 pm

My best friend just got it! :D
Im going over to his place today to help him do the [hide]lighthouse[/hide] crap.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Optional Boss
Wyvern

Postby Optional Boss » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:42 pm

abdar68
Ragelope

Postby abdar68 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:55 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:18 pm

I just never seem to know anyone IRL who plays the same games I do. My husband plays games, but our tastes rarely overlap, and he cannot stand turn-based RPGs.

I used to play games with my brother all the time when we were kids though, and then GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. My parents actually played GoldenEye with us (until my brother couldn't stop being a douche about it).

Anyway, regarding sailing:

[spoiler]

What's the next food item after Raisins and where can I get it?

[/spoiler]

44 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”