Etrian Odyssey III Debates

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
10 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

What should the class limitations be?

Physical (Hop, Arb, Sho, Gla, Ygg)
25%
Magical (Monk, Pri, Zod)
50%
Support (Far, Wild, Buc, Nin)
25%

Total votes: 4

Soren37
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Etrian Odyssey III Debates

Postby Soren37 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:22 am

So to those of you who frequent a Fire Emblem forums, debates run pretty rampant. So I was wondering if there would be enough interest to start up a debate tournament.

It's fairly simple. You pick a class and sub class, and debate to another person about why your combination is better. While this is going on, a panel of judges will be reading your posts and trying to determine who has made better, stronger points while disproving their opponent's points.

Because this is a tournament, we can either run it through a bracket or a round robin tournament. If we have smaller numbers, we'll do a round robin, but if we have about 6-8 people signing up, then we'll have a bracket.

In addition, we'll need about 3 judges. I can be a judge, but I may not be that good, seeing as I'm still grasping the ropes of EO.

So, reply if you want to sign up or if you think I'm just bat-shit insane.

EDIT: Poll is up for your convenience. I can't edit the poll anymore, so please note that the Buccaneer has been moved to PHYSICAL while Ninja has been moved to MAGICAL
Last edited by Soren37 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guild: Sciondar
Members: By-Ry (Hop/Nin)
Lasi (Buc/Gla)
Areek (Nin/Zod)
Nairn (Far/Gla)
Scot (Mon/Pri)

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:25 am

Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh!!! I wanna be a judge. Do I need certain qualities? I can send you a resume... kidding .I don't even know what a resume is...

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:00 am

crazyjavi87
Ragelope

Postby crazyjavi87 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 am

I would honestly think it would end up on personal preference. For the first EO I had a pretty basic party. Second one comes out and I no longer have a mage/dedicated tank. Third one comes out, I have an arbalist on the front row, no tanks, a status supporter, a healer, a Damage Dealer..two actually since arbalist counts, and a ninja pirate with ludicrously high evasion.

I mean for instance, I've heard that monk/prince is a useful combination. But I went monk/farmer and I'm enjoying the pure healing goodness that gives me.

My Prince is a hoplite subclass(iunno if anyone says thats good or not) but only has one spear skill and some shield mastery. All the rest of his points goes into attack, guard orders and regal radiance and ad nihilo.

My arbalist is..well. An arbalist. I haven't decided what to sub-class her yet.

My Ninja/Pirate has points in the evasion skills of the ninja, and then 10 gun mastery, 10 rapid fire, eagle eye, and heading towards pin cushion due to the fact he has 40ish agility and is the fastest thing in the game so far except for the 4th stratum boss demon kiss skill(that move is seriously annoying. Sliver of health. About to win, demon kiss, two guys die. The most useful damage dealers, heals for 1000. Does it again, monk was the last standing)

and my Yggdroid is a Gladiator subclass with maces. Which works really awesomely actually. I made him a Ygg/Monk at first and followed a build I found that people kept claiming was awesome. When I did it, it wasn't my kind of build.

Then I reset skill points, subclass gladiators with maces and now he crits for some 600 damage. It's ridiculous.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Personal preference only goes so far; there's statistically better options.

Soren37
Ragelope

Postby Soren37 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Statistically, yes, there are better options. It's the same thing in other games where one character is statistically better than another.

There are really only two different options that we have for balancing the debates. The first one is where you and your partner discuss about which classes you're going to use. This means you know you're debating against them, and can balance out your choices. For example, you could have a Monk/Prince against a Monk/Zodiac, two classes that work well together to provide what you want. Or we could have a joke debate, such as Droid/Zodiac and Shogun/Arbalist.

The other option is where we put limits on what you can pick. Eg. Everyone must choose either between Monks, Princes, Buccaneers, Ninjas, or Farmers and ONE subclass of their choice, which can be any class. While this restricts the debates, it can balance them out as you can now pick classes that function well together and have enough similar and different points that can be debated upon.

Emrin, you can be a judge if you want. As long as you have a pretty good understanding of the damage formulas, and you can read the debates in a neutral manner, you can judge.

Lasi (Buc/Gla)

Areek (Nin/Zod)

Nairn (Far/Gla)

Scot (Mon/Pri)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:57 am

The only way to really make it work is to do limitations; Monk/Prince(ss) is just flat out better than a Monk/Zodiac as far as their primary role is concerned (Healing) and, if we're talking about optimizing anyway, Zodiac/Monk is the better damage dealer with enough Power Books.

...anyway, I'm fairly familiar with the FE debates but there's a bit closer of things (i.e., SKL vs SPD growth or Avg. Stats vs Max Stats for some of those pesky low-growth/high max characters) that are discussed. This is more role-based which gets difference of opinions that don't make much sense.

So I guess I take back what I said, it'll come down to personal preference and someone will be flat out wrong but have some terrible group where their idea makes sense.

Soren37
Ragelope

Postby Soren37 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:40 am

Lasi (Buc/Gla)

Areek (Nin/Zod)

Nairn (Far/Gla)

Scot (Mon/Pri)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:41 am

Soren37
Ragelope

Postby Soren37 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Lasi (Buc/Gla)

Areek (Nin/Zod)

Nairn (Far/Gla)

Scot (Mon/Pri)

10 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”