Waveform's Etrian Odyssey III Skill Calculator for Windows!

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Waveform's Etrian Odyssey III Skill Calculator for Windows!

Postby Wave-tan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Wave-tan | Administrative Overlord
Waveform Development Circle
waveformfeedback@gmail.com
There's no kill like overkill

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:06 pm

I haven't tried it yet (at work etc.) but ... how is this all that radically different from the existing Skill Calculator that has been around since EO3's JP release time period?

I'll give looking at it whenever I get home from work I suppose if for no other reason to than to look over the numbers.

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:59 am

I have no problems with it. Zaraf does not seem to be interested in updating his and seriously - if another form of EO3 help is able to assist, I don't particularly care.

^_^ If Zaraf is annoyed that something like this trumped his own, well then he should do the most logical thing - work on his own so that it kicks this new one's ass. :3 That's always been my response to rivalry. (And I've had a lot of it considering I was once a Zelda webmaster... one of a million other Zelda sites.)

In other words GO GO ZARAF!!

...However, it will be hard to beat. This one looks pretty kick ass to me. ^_^

[] - [] - [] - []

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:47 am

Looks like it does everything but clip your toenails. Is it ipod-compatible?

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:05 pm

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:08 pm

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:27 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:16 am

The mans' name is Negzee. What were you expecting?

Also, I phrased my question badly, what I meant was will there ever be an ipod compatible version, but that was kind of answered anyways. Thanks.

-PLA

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 am

... I can see we're off to a lovely start, here.

First, the TL;DR version:

I am sorry I offended you. I was being careless with my words and I didn't mean to put down you or your group's efforts. I think what you're doing is great and valuable to the EO community. And welcome to ItL. ^^

Now the whole thing:

I do apologize if my feedback was taken a little more personally than was meant. I did not mean to denigrate you or your group's work; I was simply reporting my initial experience using the application and providing basic information about the test environment. It did feel unusually slow to redraw when switching tabs (enough that the redraw order of individual skill boxes etc was noticeable.) I'm not sure what exactly was causing it. Perhaps it was just my particular system configuration, and I did express intent to test on a native Windows installation at the next opportunity.

Perhaps my response to the claim of working nearly to death was a tad insensitive to a group of people who appear to have put much heart and energy into the project, but the claim did strike me as a bit over the top (and also triggered some work-related memories from years past) so I commented. I did not really think at first that it was a serious claim, and did not expect my response to be taken all that seriously either. But if you really do say that it was not an exaggeration, then I must question how much you know of being worked or working oneself to "death", or to the point of causing lasting physical and/or psychological effects. And didn't you encourage bug reports and casually speak of kicking your poor project members in unmentionable places upon receipt of such reports? Isn't that disrespectful of the other members and the sweat and tears they've poured into this project? I do hope this project is a hobby that you and other project members enjoy doing, in which case working on something, even if you enjoy it, to the point of significant physical detriment is not good; it's great to do what you love, but take a break once in a while.

Regarding the claim that my post was motivated purely by jealousy of the development of "competing software", I shall quote your earlier clarification post to Scy: "We weren't looking to subvert or otherwise infringe upon what Zaraf's accomplished, but rather to give people at least one other option in terms of design, format, and feature base." If you did not see yourselves as competing with the existing skill calculator, then you must believe, by calling your group's calculator competing software, that I think of you as competition. I don't, and I'm dismayed that you arrived at that conclusion; I sure hope I'm not that petty. I don't mind the variety that your group's native app provides to the EO community. I do in fact think it's a Great that it exists. Great with a capital G. I agree wholeheartedly with your stated goals and welcome this app that is more useful offline and for sharing builds than the old one. It's pretty nifty, actually. Speaking of the existence of your project, it is interesting how different your responses to me and Scy were. Scy's message could easily have been read as "this looks redundant, so why did you bother?" but you didn't seem to read any denigration into it.

There is probably a misunderstanding about me saying the core would be trivial to port around: Yes, the core of the application is essentially a simple dependency resolver. This core ought to be independent of specific languages or APIs such as .NET. The real work here is in the UI, which is what I said would need to be reconsidered if porting to an mobile device environment. I wasn't suggesting that the fact that the currently released software cannot run as is in an environment it wasn't targeted for means your group is incapable of it or anything. I was more addressing Zamisk than you with that. (He has since clarified his question, so that's fine.)

And that leads into the question of why haven't I implemented my own iOS EO skill calculators if I've been thinking about it for oh so long. Time and prioritization of other interests, mostly. The question seems to insinuate that I should "put up or shut up," but can one not simply have thoughts and ideas without having to implement them all or have them be called useless or irrelevant? Moreover, I wasn't saying it to brag about how long I've had that thought. I was just noting in response to the iPod compatibility request that I too could see it as a useful tool, and showing interest in the realization of such a product, by you or me or whomever.

To reiterate, I don't see you at all as competition, and I'd be happy to contribute to the project in the form of testing, bug reports and general suggestions, but I'm hesitant to provide feedback when I fear that bug reports will be interpreted as personal attacks....

I am sorry if we got off on the wrong foot with each other and I'm sorry if my first post to you sounded jerkish. I was being a little less careful than usual with my words, and I didn't mean to put down you or your team's efforts. I think it's great that you guys have made your own skill calculator that serves your needs, and have been generous enough to share it with the community and to ask for suggestions to make it even more useful. And I don't want to drive you away or make you feel unwelcome at ItL.

I seriously have nothing against your project.

PS: Zamisk: your pointing out the "neg" in my name did not help. :( No, I usually try not to be negative around here. [hide]That's poszee's job.[/hide]
Last edited by negzee on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cybolt
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cybolt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:46 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:57 am

Also, sorry

-PLA

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:29 am

This reminds me I still need to check the numbers to see if they're all correct. Then again, I haven't done that for Zaraf's either. And, hell, I need to finish the maps too but I've lost a lot of care/desire.

Hell, there's still some Accuracy/Speed values to finish getting and some core mechanics to finalize how they function.

Zaraf
Fenrir

Postby Zaraf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:38 am

Wow Wave-tan, that's looking really good. Nice work you and your team did on it.

I hope everyone understands and realizes that both negzee and myself are mature adults. We aren't going to take offence from the efforts of another, thinking it a personal attack or whatever. We made something, and if someone else made something better, then that's GREAT! Because this isn't a contest, and it isn't a competition. Whatever people make for the community benefits the community. Simple as that.

Keep up the good work! :)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:59 pm

My next question though to the team:

:3 So... any plans for the previous two games?

Also, I'll update the main site with a link to this application some time this weekend.

[] - [] - [] - []

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
47 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”