4 zodiac party?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

4 zodiac party?

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried a 4 zodiac party (plus hoplite tank)?

I really like caster classes, and I was kind of disappointed that the zodiac in my original 5 wasn't really doing anything in the fights, he seemed like a major burden actually, so I switched him out (maybe I was playing him wrong? I know, there's a lot about this already on the forum.)

As an experiment, I've been playing around with 4 zodiacs+tank and its a lot of fun. But I'm still incredibly early in the game, so I have no idea about the practicality of this (I was thinking it might be fun for FOE fights, when I get to them,) is there a better 4(or 3 or 5) heavy damage dealer party that you use?

So far I've got one zodiac who basically only casts the spell that allows a row of 3 zodiacs to cast spells for free tp for 1 turn (I forget the name of the spell), and then each of the other three specialize in a different element. I think that when I get to subclass, this might work well with a couple of /monks.
(If you have ever played ffxi(!!!), yes, I was totally trying to make a manaburn party.) :D

Thanks,
ur-colibri

PLA
Manticor

Re: 4 zodiac party?

Postby PLA » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:04 pm

"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 am

Last edited by Wolkenritter on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:01 am

Gladiator and Zodiac have surprising synergy. In addition to Zodiacs elementaling better, Gladiators cast the heaviest Meteors.

Edit: Arbalist skills have more elements than Gladiator skills, though. But no Berserker Vow.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Wolkenritter: Wow, thank you very much for that build. But because there are no points in ice star, does that mean that such a build isn't feasible until you can subclass gladiator and learn Freezing Blow? (would the zodiac just sort of hang out and use physical attacks till he can learn Freezing Blow and do awesome damage?)

Which brings me to another question: is it possible to change your character's build once points have been allotted?

PLA: Oh, I just looked up warriors might, seems like I'm going to need a /shogun... Do people play with whole parties of shoguns?
Also, "Gladiators cast the heaviest meteors," was that a joke, or? Are you suggesting Glad/Zodiac?

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:23 am

Oh oh, I see. Wow, I will definitely keep this glad build in mind. As for the zodiac/arbalist build you showed--that is exactly what I needed to see, thank you.
Scy, thanks for clarifying game-play with zodiacs, and for filling me in on "rest." I'm glad I got the definitive answer on warrior's might, as well.

Right now I'm playing with Hoplite and Gladiator in the front, and monk arbalist buccaneer in the back.
Is there a support class (other than monk/prince(ss)) that I should keep in my party?
I think I want to try switching out the buccaneer for a zodiac. Is this a fairly standard party, or am I missing something?

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 am

ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 pm

That's a huge help, thank you.

Eagle eye is mostly what I was using my buccaneer for. I'm probably going to keep trying different builds as long as I play the game, and moreso as I unlock the other jobs.

Those parties you listed at the end, these were pre-warrior's might, right? How did it work without hoplite's provoke? (or is the enemy's urge to hit the highest hp front row character so strong provoke is unnecessary?)

Agh, sorry to keep bothering you, I'm just going to have to get further in the game and figure things out.

Really, thanks a ton, this is awesome.

I can't wait to advance. :D

ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Ah, damage is king, and that party pretty much kicks a**. I see. xD

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:26 pm

It works because a Hoplite is mostly unnecessary. Line Guard is neat but Guard Order works just as well and the occasions you need both flat out don't exist if you're prepared decently (at least, as far as the main game is concerned). And before it gets all "YEAH BUT FIRST TIME THROUGH" as a counter, my first run through EO3 was the JP version without skill sim numbers stuff and I still did it with GBP/NZ (SBP/NZ after the third stratum) without ever having a problem.

As for Provoke, it changes the 55%-21%-8%-8%-8% set-up to 97%-2%-0%-0%-0%, effectively. The issue is that is only for single-target attacks and, honestly, most FoE/Bosses don't use super scary single-target attacks enough to warrant it. And some use skills that don't use the Highest HP priority targeting, though I can't really tell you how prevalent they are.

If you never get Provoke or any other Taunt effect, you won't even really miss them. It's not that big of a deal.

Hell, to be perfectly honest, the most useful (non-Anti) skill from a Hoplite is the one point in Bodyguard.

ur-colibri-14-earth
Ragelope

Postby ur-colibri-14-earth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:39 am

You're right, I don't miss provoke, the only thing I miss is the name I gave my hoplite...
Thanks a ton btw.

15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”