Beginner guide. First 3 skill points, etc.

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
ulysses
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Beginner guide. First 3 skill points, etc.

Postby ulysses » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm

okay, so this is my first time playing any EO games.

i don't know so much, but i've read here and there about recommendations when it comes to main/sub classes.
though i'm still not "ready to start"

guild name: toddlers
front row: hoplite/shinobi - monk/prince - gladiator (no subclass)
back row: shinobi/ (not sure of subclass, maybe buccaneer) - farmer/monk

i need help with where to put the first 3 skill points.
i also need help with (not entirely necessary) a tiny level 10 build.

scy
Manticor

Re: Beginner guide. First 3 skill points, etc.

Postby scy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm

First and foremost, there's no reason to not use a subclass. Not sure if your Gladiator's "no sublcass" was a "doesn't need one" or a "don't know what to get" kind of thing. Typically, Gladiators are either /Arbalist (for the better chance to hit for Nine Smashes|Club use) or /Buccaneer (for Pincushion, the best physical attack in the game).

Hoplite -
First three: Shield 1/10, Line Guard 1/10, Guardian 1/10
By level 10:
Guardian - 1/10
Shield - 3/10
Line Guard - 2/10
Bodyguard - 1/10

After that, can focus on Provoke - 5/5, Parry - 5/5, Magic Parry - 5/5 or just more points in Line Guard. And, yes, I realize the above actually only goes to level 5. It's just the above is literally enough to get you through the main game anyway that everything else is just kind of do whatever. I'd still avoid the useless Spear skills though.

Monk - Honestly, I'd swap for a Prince(ss) but that's your prerogative; Monarch's March (from Prince(ss)) is just that good, though you'll want Monk/Prince(ss) eventually instead anyway so this saves you a retire/character swap.
First three: Form Qi 2/10, Healing 1/10
By level 10:
Form Qi - 10/10
Healing - 2/10

After that, just work towards the one point into Party Heal. Fist skills are basically wholly unnecessary.

Gladiator - Sword or Club route? I'll do Sword since that's my early game preference.
First three: Endless Battle 1/10, Sword 2/10
By level 10:
Endless Battle - 1/10
Sword - 10/10
Rush - 1/10

After that, it's working towards Blade Rave and then Charge and then Endless Battle. I'd probably just get the first point of Blade Rave and then get Charge since you can't really afford, TP wise, higher level Blade Raves. I just like beelining Blade Rave, honestly.

Ninja - Going for my typical damage build on a starting Ninja, not utility stuff. Mostly since I find the utility stuff not that worthwhile.
First three: Keburi no Sue 1/10, Kagerou 2/5.
By level 10:
Keburi no Sue - 5/10
Kagerou - 3/10
Bunshin - 1/10
Knife Mastery - 1/10
Kagenui - 1/10
Fukubari - 1/10

After that, I'd suggest raising Fukubari and Kagenui up while keeping Keburi no Sue at a level where you never spend more than 1 TP (for example, 10/10 Keburi no Sue is -9 TP so Kagenui costs 1 TP up to, and including, level 8). If you want Instant Death, ignore Kubikiri and get 5 points of Izuna; less points invested, far better chance of Instant Death (well, Petrify), and it only costs 1 TP. Deals better damage too in the instances that it doesn't work.

Farmer - Eh...I'd honestly just replace this. There's really nothing useful about them as a main and they're basically a waste of space. I'd also not give them /Monk since Farmer stats are pretty terrible besides LUC so they really want something that lets them do things unrelated to their stats (i.e., Prince(ss) passives and buffs).
First three: Keen Eye 1/10, To Market 1/10, Earth's Bounty 1/10.
By level 10:
Earth's Bounty - 10/10
Keen Eye 1/10
To Market 1/10

After that, I guess Harvestry if you plan to gather with this main group Farmer and work towards Persistance, or Rotten Eggs, or Strange Seeds. Brave Heart is worth note if you move this to the front row, I guess. Honestly, not any of these is really that stellar. Earth's Bounty is about the best thing the Farmer is really providing and it's pretty minimal, to be honest.

ulysses
Ragelope

Postby ulysses » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:18 pm

thanks!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Personally, I'd aim for either a Buccaneer (with Rapiers for the front-row) or an Arbalist. Buccaneer is probably overall for the best as it nets you a low-TP cost attacker (due to Trickster being used as a form of self-TP restoration) and Eagle Eye increases the damage everybody does.

4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”