My build, my reasons, any feelings?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
14 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Katt
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My build, my reasons, any feelings?

Postby Katt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

Sadly, EO can really make you feel sub-par when dealing with enemies you're not equipped and skilled for, or significantly higher levels that.
Trying to stick with the best overall and balanced weapons and armor, i've reached the final floor. The dragons are all beaten, but i still cannot take out the last 3 optional bosses and haven't tried the final boss. Basic random battles, while beaten somewhat easily, still have to have much attention paid to to ensure i'm not dropping like flies, as it tends to be fast and furious when ye olde L trigger plan goes awry. Guys are just getting to the mid-70's, have not reached 99 yet for the final rebirth on em.

Front Line
Shogun/Buccaneer- Two Swords, Swashbuckling fool. Great luck tends to give me 4-5 attacks each time, i rarely ever see 2, though i tend to get up to the limit quite often. 9-ringed swords maxed, and basic points in daifuhensha. A limit gathering fool for all those lovely defensive limits, his basic attacks deal roughly in the hundreds nominally, but the bonus of being able to get an extra limit in 2-3 turns is invaluable. Low defense makes the random attacks that get swung her way a concern when the Hoplite has her attention elsewhere.

Hoplite/Wildling- Primal Drums on her frees up my other member's buffing/debuffing, and elemental blocks are still useful enough when needed, body and lineguard when not. Plus, her low speed makes her highly valuable in tossing those nectars out so its not an immediate revive-kill. And Provoke.... booyaka!

Monk/Gladiator- 9 smashes backed by Pop Flares, Charge, and Attack Order. Outdoes the rest of the party for sheer damage like that, heals the party, takes off binds, statuses when needed. and Revive, oh yay. Lackluster HP is a concern when the H/W is busy with other tasks. TP fueld for revives so at least that is self-sustaining as needed, but its usually all-party wipes when really needed.

Back Row
Zodiac/Arbalist- because elements are still good in a lot of fights, let alone dark ether, and pop flare. Basic attack somehow scores a lot of weaknesses against a variety of enemies, making her useful in random battles without need to spend tp. Decent speed makes it worth it too.

Princess/Ninja- Buffs and heals, buffs and heals. oh and bunshin route, no dodge, funny enough. Being able to buff the entire party at once is... well, amazingly good, plus knighthood/ad nihilo... wow. Recently divested into Inspire which seems inconsistent on the TP return, but buffs neutralized is always good.

Princess/Ninja- Buffs and heals, buffs and heals. oh and bunshin route, no dodge, funny enough. Being able to buff the entire party at once is... well, amazingly good, plus knighthood/ad nihilo... wow. Recently divested into Inspire which seems inconsistent on the TP return, but buffs neutralized is always good.

Hmm, which one is the clone again? =^^=

But while this party has carried me from start to finish, im just wondering how to cross the line itself, or if i should just keep going with the long haul of capping and redoing...

The party flows very well together- Limit/Damage, Defense/Debuff, Healing/Damage, Damage/TP fuel, Buff/Healing- it just winds up feeling that i've missed something. So, any help would be appreciated, my feeling is i really need to make a party from scratch with just bosses in mind, instead of sticking with the 'overall' party for every situation moderately...

which i don't want to do, but its EO, theres always something you didn't see...

Starsoulklr
Ragelope

Re: My build, my reasons, any feelings?

Postby Starsoulklr » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:25 am

Well I'm insane enough to go through the entire game with a Farmer in my party... You can make most stable builds last for the majority of the game but you do need certain specialties for some fights. I pretty much went through the game with:

Front Row:
Princess/Buccaneer
Hoplite/Ninja

Back Row:
Zodiac/Buccaneer
Farmer/Prince

Interchangable:
Arbalist/Gladiator

Yes perhaps it might seem to be overkill to have both the element guards and prophecy or having two Eagle Eyes or even two Prince/ss buffing but it let's my group be flexible. I didn't have any emergency healing but if the enemy can't bypass the Hoplite which will either be line guarding or protecting the weaker members while Protect order fixes them up that didn't matter. My boss killers were charged up Front Mortars or Charged Elemental Limits and the Princess would disrupt with Head Binds and now I decided 'might as well let her blind the physical attacks too'

Also remember if you like them you can always invest in new members: I started on a Ninja/Monk Medic and once they reach the first level 99 I'm going to start a Shogun with a sub I haven't decided yet and a Yggdroid/Hoplite for another bodyguard that can guard forever after firing off her Head or Legs for that 10 TP gain.

Not every character build is the greatest in the game but they can still get the job done.

Some things that could help is that I see some of the Shogun/Buccaneer builds use the Deathbringer guns which give you even more limit gain. This also let's them deal their damage at a safe distance from the enemy lines. Also the Princess can be upfront and their better at taking hits then a dual-wielding Shogun. I originally had my Zodiac with this gun but when the points added up I sacrificed it for the extra point in another skill.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:29 pm

I'ma gonna assume the optional bosses you speak of are the bar bosses.

Kraken is helpless when legs are bound (and it is super easy to bind them Kagenui style), have fun.

Sea Anemone isn't threatening when bash mist is up and Crush Amulets are worn, just don't plan on using Bash attacks of your own. Use an offensive strategy that suits you, but having Fire Arms/Hellfire/A Zodiac helps immensely.

Having an Anticold/prophecy and Antivolt/prophecy up at all times will keep Alraune from being too big of a hassle. Make sure to have prevent order or regroup tactic up on turns that are a multiple of 6 and an offensive strategy of your choice and you should be set.

As long as you can do those things, the rest of your team is personal preference for the most part. The two superbosses are the only ones that really require a few select and specific builds to beat.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:08 am

Starsoulklr: Geeez... i feel dumb. You can dual wield guns, can't you? Thats a really good tip, thanks for pointing it out, i should've known, hahaha! This gives me a few good ideas already. Chase skill's don't activate off of each other at all, or do they?

Liferake: Yeah, i was getting killed even with those tactics, though my level was substantially lower, so it might be worth giving another go. May need to get that kagenui ninja a go instead of relying on weapon mods, too. Luck only carries you so far, but speaking of, i think i have found a harvesting team for the ages... That research you did for me made me make a full party of farmers, and i've noticed how all their class skill stacks, which in turn makes combat study trigger off the heightened xp, so... >< whooo! I'm almost thinking getting the farmers up to level 99 and retire them into my 'Main' party member roles...

And which super bosses do you speak of?

Starsoulklr
Ragelope

Postby Starsoulklr » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 am

There's two that I would consider the super bosses: The Final Sea Boss and the Sixth Stratum Final Boss. They have no problem wiping out your party in one move.

I've beat the Sea boss a few times but you need an 'ahead of time' plan for the Sixth Stratum Boss or the 'Shogun/Ninja' Boss annihilator. I haven't beat it yet but that's because I'm going with the Pale Horse Guild way of thinking: Be way too over-prepared.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 am

Yeah, thats pretty much the only way to play the game, haha. I'd actually forgotten to go tackle that sea boss, so i should probably work on him first!

Ideas for updates...
Front

Hoplite/Ninja, anti's and dodging.

Monk/Arbalist, resurrection and spot healing +Front Mortar/Double Action
OR Yggdroid/Monk, Immune to enemy binding +resurrection and bind healing and Rocket Jump/Sleep mode TP restore. Might go for HP cannon for damage.

This Space for Rent by Bunshin

Back row
Samurai/Buccaneer, dual wielding guns with swashbuckling, limit based, plus debuffing

Ninja/Zodiac, TP battery, unsure what to build just yet but no bunshin IF using Monk,
ELSE Zodiac/Arbalist for Etheric Charge + Limits/Barrages and, of course, TP battery even if more expensive.

Princess/Ninja, Buff&heal+bunshin, yay full party buffing.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:08 am

P/N buffing, great awesome good. H/N Defending, Yep. M/A... could probably be replaced with G/S [Warrior's Might to follow up S/B swashbuckling hint hint]... N/Z is slightly unnecessary [You know that Z/A thing you had next to it? Excellent Idea, or if you prefer spot healing try M/P. M/Ps Protect Order is the best healing in the game, and it can still do all of the fancy Monk healing like max resurrect, Party Heal, Refresh, Unbind, etc.], S/B is excellent.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 am

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Warrior's Might works like this:

The strength and element of the chase is determined by your character's weapon and if an element is being applied to it.

It will chase any attack, except other chases, and it can chase an unlimited amount in one turn. Skills that hit multiple times will only be chased once, Normal attacks performed multiple times (Like by Swashbuckling and Second Sword) will be chased every time a normal attack lands.

It is considered the best attack in the game, but it is by no means necessary. (Though it one of very few strategies that can beat the 6th stratum boss.)

Oh yes, and N/Z is a beast I never understood. To me they look like two spaces of waste, simple because Hamaos and Amritas are just better. Yes, you get practically infinite TP, but you also just lost two valuable slots that could have been used for offensive/defensive purposes. N/Z does have reasonably high TEC to use the stars with, and have a good deal of the ninja skill too, but to most teams they're just too busy providing Dark Ether to really care. Z/N and Z/A flings the stars better (btw, the stars are a candidate for Double Action, while the barrages can be used as cheaper binaries.), and N/G, S/N, G/N, B/N, and N/B use the Ninja Skills better.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah, the N/Z seems to be an amazing battery, but all that does is let you do for an extended period, what you already do... but 1 less character to do it with? Combining it with the dodge/TP recovery makes it infinite with a little luck. I could see it as a VERY patient combo with a S/B basic attacking or 5 ringed sword repeatedly, and 3 monks (or sub monks) spamming refresh, unbind and party heal every turn, with the two n/z's only using Dark Ether (N/Z, S/B, N/Z in front). It would take forever, but talk about being overly prepared.

anyhoozits...Double Action... Single Hit only, ne? So like HP Cannon? And also talking to yggdroids, Overheat, triggered twice by double action (since it says per hit)? And im betting effects from the hit would be checked each (poison, etc), Does it trigger on the monk's or Yggdroids Counter effects?
I already know it only adds one more hit (even on multi-hit like nine smashes, only 1 more).

Not being able to subclass into Ygg has made me shy away from it, especially since its class skill is almost useless UNLESS you follow its own bind path, but that does add some nice TP recycling. They seem to have some nice elemental countering, BUT it takes up party slots, and the Shoot command needs those 3 spots for maximum damage. Not sure if i want to take one and go ninja for dodging and survivability,,,, or durrr i dont know. Too many questions!!!

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 am

Yggdroids do have quite a few redeeming qualities: Excellent Passives and high Base Stats. And what do Hoplites Love?

Y/H is the best defensive devise in the entire game:

Spear of Choice
Carbide Armor (Yggdroid exclusive armor obtained when you defeat Olympia)
Shield of Choice
Deep City Medal

Love this thing.

Y/B can have a little fun with Data Mining and Swashbuckling. Getting even more critical boost from Lady Luck. Doesn't use TP too much against the mobs. However, Beyond Spamming Eagle Eye and Hanging/Rapid Fire/Pincushion, it isn't too terribly useful during bosses.

Y/G has the most accurate Nine Smashes (When used at night), but not the most powerful. Can be a damage Inflicter in Boss fights I suppose.

Y/S is nice with a large variety of options, very much like Y/G.

I haven't really tested Y/P, Y/A, Y/N, Y/M, or Y/W.

Shoot, any overheat past level 3, the bots, and HP Cannon are just not worth it from my experience.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Hmm! the Y/M i've peeked at with the Bots seems like a nifty, self-sustaining combo of 4 spots, that totally shuts down any elements, even multi-elements like the 3 headed dragon.
Of course, i can think of only 1 example of usefulness....the bot setup against bosses just takes too long unless you bunshin, but no Monk TP gain from their being destroyed, which i suppose you don't get from using them up in powers, anyways.
Though it seems their rocket head is a decent chase trigger as it's whole party attack, and with their actual Class skill, yay TP. Do the self inflicted binds ever undo naturally, or is using a separate turn always needed?

Along the same line, Wildling is another i never explored. Too many different beasts, but i suppose with enough skill points, you could make a nice, mediocrely rounded W/M, able to summon whatever is needed for the current battle, but again, you shouldn't be needing to do that in random battles, and you should know what you're getting into in boss fights... Regroup Tactic + Sleeping Lion is pretty feasable against anything that doesn't have immunity to instant death though. I wonder if prevent order works to stop the sleep, too

But on track, defense wise it seems the H/N takes the cake just due to the TP Recovery alone, coupled with the dodging and provoking. Easily saves the party from a vast majority of single or random attacks, and of course anti's to save the day.

Nothing seems to top the Limit gain of S/B. and limits are good, especially end-game ones.

And it seems M/P holds the highest piece of pie for healing due to Protect order, and it seems Negotiation makes an amazingly cheap 1 shot heal in exchange for buffs. Too bad reinforce and RV don't go by tec, but that might be a bit too broken.

Z/A rules the elemental scene and makes itself useful with dark ether and limits the rest of the time.

And the lovely Princess of Clones buffing the entire party saves you half the time- and speed is the lifeblood of battle! Lets not forget Inspire for a tiny bit of free TP, and anti-debuffing, too.

So, all i need now is to check out the fuss over this Immortal limit..... but i do like oroborous guard being every couple of turns with S/B.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Immortal?

Its description in the English version of the game is completely wrong. It fully heals HP, TP, Removes Status Effects and Binds (except self-inflicted ones) and fully revives at the end of the turn. Of course, the three needed to use it need to be alive.

The main drawback of Immortal is the fact that it activates at the end of the turn. During a turn you know you can safely stop an elemental attack is a good time to use it, but it isn't as useful as Uroboros Guard Stopping all damage in the first place at the start of the turn until the end.

Immortal is essentially a trip to the Inn midway through a battle, and while grinding against enemies it is the most useful limit along with Lucky Hammer. Its a great grinding helper that allows you to go nuts with your skills since its easy to fill up your limit and get your TP back.

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 pm

ahh orobourous still seems better overall, when combined with prevent order, although the TP recharge could be a topper that really puts it over the edge. though the End of Turn status really does put a damper to its timing and usefulness against the difficult foes you would be wanting to use it against..

regroup tactic is exceedingly useful, can't wait to see it from M/P..might be the best to combine with 'immortal'...gotta keep working at grinding to try these out

so the ideas...
S/B

H/N

M/P

Z/A

P/N

And either Immortal/Regroup Tactic, or Oroborous Guard + Lucky Hammer + Indomitable

14 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”