Rate my team?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Katt
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rate my team?

Postby Katt » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Supremely defensive team, it seems... might want to throw the princess or monk into the back row to let the wildling's summons deal better damage (and keep the princess from harm for her free healing every turn!).

Farmers, while most people disagree, are quite useful, but definitely not on the damage dealing chart at all- Extra Exp is always welcome! I personally wound up making a party of 4 (and eventually 5) Farmers to go loot running, like most do, after all, you need those fetch, chop, and pick items to get more items with anyways, plus the money. And later on, thanks to the exp boost stacking, and other characters having Combat Study, they became my grinding team which has gotten me over 3 teams retired at level 99, from doing nothing but sitting in the guild hall.

Hoplite- also low on the damage scale normally, but the defense is, of course, top notch. The anti's are boss-stoppers, that's for sure.

Princess- Line-buffing and healing, oh my!

Monk- Best healer overall, can also do some decent damage!

Wildling- depending on which summons you level up into, can become an interesting debuffer, status dealer, or outright killer and party protector.

(Just wait until you get Subclassing! but no spoilers!)

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 am

This is amusingly similar to how I structure teams at the beginning of the game.

Anyways, w/o knowing what skills you already have really makes it hard to rate your team and how you're doing, because party structure and synchronization does not rely just on the classes, but the skills you plan to use with them.

This is a good set-up, you have passive healing (Prince(ss), Defense (Hoplite), Active Healing (Monk), Offense or support (Wildling), and Support (Farmer)

So, here's the basic "Roles" each of your chosen characters performs.

If your princess isn't working on monarch march, or doesn't have it yet, you are doing it wrong. Monarch March will save you time and money by elongating your stays in the labyrinth, this is vital. Since you run a hoplite it is technically safe to keep your prince(ss) in the front, however it does depend on what beast you have chosen for your wildling to use.

Monk can really be working on any variety of things. Form Qi should be maxed at the very least, and then your choice of going towards resurrect or Line heal. Or, if you by chance are working on fist monk, just keep doing your thing.

Hoplites are wondrous things, and its REALLY HARD to screw them up. The Anti's at max and bodyguard at 1 are the absolute minimum requirements, after that its purely whatever you want, but be wise about that.

Wildlings are supremely unpredictable and my lack of experience with them makes it hard to judge what you are aiming for. If you are primarily using Tiger, Lion, Elephant, or Cow, then you want your princess in the back. If you are primarily using Mole, Bird, Snake, Insect, Ooze, or Owl, keep your princess in the front.

Farmers are Labyrinth support. Anyways, on THIS farmer, the one you use for the main team, avoid getting the Harvestry and Harvestry supporting skills until the end-game. Make an individual Farm Team with five or four different farmers as the primary gatherers instead. Needless to say, you probably already have Keen Eye and To Market. Earth Bounty is what you should be working on, after that work on Camp Mastery so you can get Waste Not and Slap Awake. After this then you can choose what you want.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:27 am

Yeah, we need to know your skills if we're going to "rate" it.

One thing I will advise though is to ditch the Farmer and use a proper damage dealing class instead. Since Farmers are the worst class in the game and only exist for... farming.

I am so biased.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 am

Farmers on the main team are really only good if you're team functions efficiently on 4 people. As I said, he's "labyrinth support", which is to say not fighting support, and as Wolkenritter said it would be best if you swapped it out for a Zodiac (Good choice A) or Arbalist (Good choice B). Ninja or Gun Buccaneer can work too.

I did use a Farmer as a main member of the team during my LP, and he was useful, but not as useful as the arbalist that I would swap him out with when I faced bosses.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 am

I'm only level 15 on BF4, so you might want to take what I say with a grain of salt.

My guess is that your back line is debuff heavy. I'm also guessing that your Princess either has Monarch March or focuses on offensive buffs targeting the front line.

Considering the conditions under which I would make a part like yours... I'd suggest replacing one of your back line with a Ninja. They're pretty good debuffers, too, and they can cast Otori on your Princess, both making a backup tank and giving her some TP. Oh, and depending on how Monk counters work and if you make use of them, then I imagine Otori will help there too.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 am

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 am

Ah, Zodiacs have choices:

Meteor

Is a high cost Magical Bash skill that is very useful as it can gain power from ATK buffs and Charge (AKA sub gladiator), and does a lot of damage when combined with such. Typically this ties your Skill points with that so straying into the Fire/Ice/Volt trees won't happen until the very late game, if at all.

or

Fire/Ice/Volt.

With the use of Singularity, you can find out enemies elemental weakness and exploit them for better than average damage. You'll be using TEC boosting equipment until you cap it at 99, then you're doing as much damage as you'll ever do, and that's what matters. Can sub effectivly with either Arbalist (Double Action and barrages instead of Binaries) or Ninja (Bushin and Senpuku)

Both of them are known for using the Ethric Charge + Elemental Limit (Hellfire, Absolute Zero, Typhoon Bolt) Combination, which is known for tearing large chunks of HP off bosses, especially if Ether Mastery and Singularity is Maxed.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 am

Personally, I want to try subbing a Yggdroid with Monk. Don't know if I will, though, by virtue of not knowing whether I will side with the Deep City or not. (No spoilers, please. I'm not that far yet. =3c)

Edit: Here's my plan.
Step 1: Rocket Kick and Otori
Step 2: Counter/Retaliate
Step 3: WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
Last edited by Reynard-Miri on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:36 am

That's all I know either. XD
That and something about getting both on later play throughs?

Yggdroid/Shogun. BI

Katt
Ragelope

Postby Katt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 am

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

22 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”