Yggdroid or Arbalist? Or?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
5 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Emrin
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Yggdroid or Arbalist? Or?

Postby Emrin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:47 am

Okay so I'm nearing the end of my EO 3. All I really need to do is kill the final final boss, the final boss for the sea quests, some drops here and there, and I need to get six more emblems on my guild card. My main team, which I've never changed and has gotten me this far, is level 93 and is as follows:

Front Row:
Princess/Farmer: for buffs, some healing, Brave Heart, and Strange Seeds.
Gladiator/Hoplite: for physical damage, Parries, Line Guard, and the Antis (just for the Dragons or forever?).
Monk/Ninja: for healing, Blood Return, Karuwaza, Kagerou, and Bunshin (no fists, club for added damage: is that a good idea?)

Back Row:
Zodiac/Ninja: for elemental damage, Singularity, Etheric Charge, Meteor (should I keep this?), Karuwaza, and Kagenui (Kraken and Pasarans).
Arbalist/Monk: for pierce and elemental damage, Giant Kill, Extend, Smoke Grenade, and Blood Return.

My team revolves around dealing damage but regaining TP. Hence the Farmer, Monk, and Ninja subclasses. Is that a good idea?
But here are my problems:
1. My Arbalist is great. But her low defence is a bit of a problem in boss battles. Should I retire her for a Yggdroid with an Arbalist subclass or what (Front Mortar+Overheat?)?
1a. With the Arb, Blood Return is useful but will I get more TP from the Ygg's binds (Sleep Mode)?
1b: Is it even a good idea to put a Glad and an Ygg on the same team but with none using the Hoplite's true purpose (tank)?
1c: Which is better : Huge Kill or Overheat?
1d: Should I just leave my Arb/Monk as is or choose a better subclass?

2. Should I instead retire my Gladiator into a Ygg/Hop for whatever good reasons (I heard Ygg/Hop were slightly better than Hop)?

With either plan, I already see some benefits: with Glad and Ygg in front row, less damage to Princess and Monk goes safely to the back row where she can Bunshin ever more safely. So, any advice or tips to better improve my team? Or should I leave them as they are?

Benkyo
Fenrir

Re: Yggdroid or Arbalist? Or?

Postby Benkyo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:30 am

While it's not a line-up I would have chosen, I think you'll be able to finish up without grinding out a whole new team.
I did a complete guild re-make near the end, grinded out a team that could deal out an insane amount of damage, finished everything easily then wondered why I had bothered. All that time spent just to do what I could probably have done anyway, only the 2nd time around it was so easy it wasn't much fun. Probably just fatigue but...
無垢無頼努

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Core Dump + Sleep Mode is 30TP per round when Core Dump and Sleep Mode is maxed, HOWEVER, being fully bound is very undesirable, especially in conjuction with overheat where anything that gives you so much as a love tap will kill you, and they won't miss because your legs are bound. I avoid it on every Yggdroid I make.

Giant Kill is better than Overheat

Other Arbalist options are A/G (Nine Smashes + Berserker Vow) and A/S (Warrior's Might)

As Benkyo said, I wouldn't worry about it though. You should be able to beat pretty much almost everything but the super-bosses easily with the team you already have.

Y/H vs H/N

However, without G/H I think your offense will take a heavy hit, G/H by no means is a bad hoplite, being able to both attack very well and defend very well is a good thing. Keep the team as you have it, the only time you will ever need a different team is probably only for Bonus Boss in the 6th stratum (And maybe the final sea boss). As it is now it looks as though it works fine.

Starsoulklr
Ragelope

Postby Starsoulklr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:18 am

Liferake pretty much covered the majority of any of the changes I would have suggested to the members you were suggesting changes to.

Even simply having Charge from the Gladiator subclass makes Arbalist deal beastly damage. I can see why you would want Blood Return for TP regain but I would fear that the Arbalist would be one of the first to go down due to their lack of HP and defense.

Hammers are the better choice then fists for your Monk because you're going for a more defensive one and you can get one of the weapons that has two limit boosters on it: Yagrush.

If I recall correctly Meteor goes of Physical stats and is boosted by Charge rather then Etheric Charge so it might be worth losing on a Zodiac. The Zodiac build I settled with was Zodiac/Buccaneer that has all prophecies level one, Dark Ether for turns that others would use massive TP skills, Eagle Eye to reduce defenses and the finale of Etheric Charging her Limit attack whichever one she would have on. With Limit Boost it fills faster so she can fire them off more. I was just one point short of getting a gun for more limit boosting.

Zodiac/Ninja is definitely a good choice though as well it's what I started with. If you do change the Zodiac's Subclass you can always spare two points to the Monk for Kagenui.

As for the Princess I'm not sure if she needs Brave Heart as Maxed Royal Lineage will give you 10 TP back anytime you buff her and she can still get another TP regain with Nobility Proof. Brave Heart is a good deal of points to invest in a class that already has mad TP regain. I still like the Farmer Sub for To Market and Harvestry. I did use Strange Seeds like mad when I had a Farmer/Prince and Lullaby can really open up most normal enemies to a killing blow.

I hope some of my suggestions help.

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks so much you three. I left my team unchanged and on Saturday I finally made it to level 99 on my main team. I took down the last sea quest bods thanks to my Monk and Zodiac and I couldn't believe it. I've also been dragon hunting a bit. I'm really close to a complete game, thanks again guys :)

5 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”