Good Starting Party?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
KitsuKitsu
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Good Starting Party?

Postby KitsuKitsu » Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 am

Alright, so I just placed my order of this game... Should arrive in a week from now or so. I'm pretty excited, actually. I tried to play this game by using an emulator at first, but I couldn't stand the lag, the emulator interface, or the laptop controls. Plus, it always feels better to help Atlus / Index by buying their products legitimately. Anyhow...

What would the veterans of this game advise for a strong start up party that focuses on offense? And how should I build my skills in this case? My original party plan was something like this...

Front: Prince, Hoplite, Buccaneer
Back: Zodiac, Monk

I'd prefer to be able to fit an Arbalist in there. Maybe I should get rid of the Prince, since Monk is already good for healing. Hmm...

As for skills... I won't have a clue how EO3 skills work hahah.

Dangerus
Manticor

Re: Good Starting Party?

Postby Dangerus » Sun May 12, 2013 4:49 am

Actually, that sounds pretty decent.

My brother had this though...

Front: Prince, Hoplite
Back: Ninja, Farmer, Zodiac

My boyfriend had this...

Front: Princess, Monk, Ninja
Back: Zodiac, Farmer

And I had...

Front: Buccaneer, Monk, Buccaneer
Back: Prince, Wildling

Maybe it is all about acquired tastes for a good party. However, it is recommended you have a prince or princess in your party so you can have passive healing.

In the end...

My boyfriend had

Princess/Hoplite, Monk/Gladiator, Ninja/Buccanneer
Farmer/Wildling, Zodiac/Monk

and I had
Buccaneer/Zodiac, Buccaneer/Ninja
Prince/Buccaneer, Prince/Hoplite, and Wildling/Hoplite

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun May 12, 2013 5:35 am

Your party is fine. Princes are useful early on with Royal Veil, Protect Order and Monarch March. Once sublcassing is unlocked though yeah, I would swap him for something else. Monks are much better at using the Prince's abilities thanks to their higher TEC and Form Qi.

Although a Monk or Prince can handle healing in the first two stratas just fine on their own.

As for skills...
Prince - As mentioned, Moarch March, Royal Veil and Protect Order. They're the best forms of healing in the game. Attack Order is obviously useful. Guard Order is pretty decent and can replace Line Guard if you want. Prevent Order is the same as Holy Blessing from EOIV.
Hoplite - Bodyguard can be very useful to have. Line Guard is obviously a very useful skill as well and can help cut down damage the party takes. Most attacks are directed at the front row, so you should always use it directed at the front.
Buccaneer - Pincushion is the most powerful attack skill in the game (Besides Warrior Might)... its bit expensive to invest in though. Eagle Eye is a great way to increase the amount of damage enemies take. Hanging is very useful to have as some bosses are fairly vulnerable to it. A single point in Lights Out when Trickster is maxed can effectively replace your normal attack. As for the gun skills... they suck. Don't use them. The chaser skills are not very useful either since they have a chance of not triggering even when maxed.
Zodiac - The first strata boss is weak to volt typed attacks. Second strata boss is weak to fire... Zodiacs excel at making pretty short work of them. Ether Mastery, Etheric Charge and Singularity will make their elemental attacks deal more damage. Dark Ether is good if you want your party to spam their skills against random mobs (Though its typically better on a Ninja main). Later on you might want to grab Meteor which is very powerful and actually works with Attack Order unlike the Zodiac's other attacks. However it doesn't work with Etheric Charge or Ether Mastery.
Monk - Form Qi and Party Heal. Yay. I wouldn't use their attack skills, they're already occupied with keeping the party alive.
Arbalist - Front Mortar or Armor Piercer. Pick one. Front Mortar does more damage but Armor Piercer allows the Arbalist to stick in the back row. Giant Kill is an obvious huge damage buff. Double Action is the same as Follow Trace in EOIV. The Fire/Ice/Volt Barrage skills are a useful way to take down random mobs pretty quickly. Proper Form will ensure their attacks never miss... though their accuracy is already pretty high to begin with.

One last thing

ITS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE TAKE THIS
http://www.intothelabyrinth.net/etriano ... /skillsim/

Should help you with building your characters and getting a better idea on how skills work.
Last edited by Wolkenritter on Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

F.I.A
Ragelope

Postby F.I.A » Sun May 12, 2013 8:10 am

4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”