Wonderful world of subclassing?

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
11 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Jinggo
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wonderful world of subclassing?

Postby Jinggo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

So now I can subclass. Yay. Kinda. I got so used to my team that I'm not sure what to subclass them as. Can I get a crash course on this topic please? What works and what doesn't? I'm really attached to my princess, gladiator (club), Zodiac, Monk and Arbalist. I also have a newly trained Hoplite at level 23. I think I like her too. My princess is set up with passive healing and my monk is an unarmed damage dealer with darkness fist at level 2 being quite surprisingly useful. I also made good use of breakfire fist which I keep wanting to call it breakfast fist lol. Probably won't be that useful on the 3rd stratum right? Can you change a subclass to something else if you don't like it? I subclassed my monk to ninja for the passive evade skill. Also thought it would be cool to have monk copies. Thoughts? Tips? Thanks

Liferake
Hunter

Re: Wonderful world of subclassing?

Postby Liferake » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:51 pm

This response is a little rushed because I don't have a lot of time today, but here are some basics:

1. Subclassing will grant you 5 skill points.
2. Resting will remove a subclass if you are unhappy with your choice later on.
3. The only skills you can not access from a subclass are the class skills (Guardian, Endless Battle, Ether Mastery, etc.)
4. If you can't decide you can continue playing with the primary classes until you feel you are informed more about it by other replies to this thread.
5. There are no penalties to the subclasses skills.

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Jinggo
Ragelope

Postby Jinggo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:08 am

Yes thank you both. I think I know what to do. I'll sub my monk with princess and make him full time support. I like the arbalist idea and gladiator idea. What do you do about elemental weaknesses? That's what my zodiac has been doing this whole time. I'm not sure I quite understand why you don't like zodiacs. I must be missing something. I think I'll give my hoplite more love. Hoplite ninja sounds good. I like the idea of a clone using line guard and the real one free to do something else like bodyguard.

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:52 am

igniz13
Ragelope

Postby igniz13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:01 pm

I had a AZ for elemental weaknesses, backed up by the arms skills, though I doubt it's the optimal option for that. Giant Killing, Singularity and the A's high attack do go a long way in putting down elemental weak enemies with little effort and you can use Regal Raidiance if you need an AOE, you don't even need to waste the A's turn for this, but someone will do.

There's a few creatures in strata 3 who are prime targets for quick elemental deaths, Stegasaurs and Elephants have bolt weakness, Magma Beasts have a cold weakness and are otherwise extremely resistant, There's also a FOE you might be facing who really needs cold attacks to defeat (and prevent order).

Barrages and Regal Radiance are also good against the strata boss as doing aoe of both blunt/element is of benefit, this also continues into Strata 4 for the odd monster.

I found that subclassing changed everything about what's optimal for characters. So I wouldn't get too attached to anyone and be prepared to change things around. You don't need to change much, but you will likely want to redesign characters based on new possibilities.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 pm

Jinggo
Ragelope

Postby Jinggo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:38 pm

I see so the only reason zodiacs are working for me is because I'm still not that far. I only just got to the third stratum. Thanks again for the advice. You guys help me so much I wonder if this is like cheating. Lol.

isometric
Killclaw

Postby isometric » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:19 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 am

Best summary of ItL ever.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:34 am

[] - [] - [] - []

11 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”