No clue about subclassing

Discuss the third game of the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Tortuga774
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

No clue about subclassing

Postby Tortuga774 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:21 pm

Played EOI and EOII several times, and started recently EOIII.
This feature kinda annoys me, because it messes all the class-structure around (unlike in EOI/II, those were clearly recognizable).

Current party:
buccaneer;hoplite;monk
arbalist;zodiac

Any suggestions?

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: No clue about subclassing

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:26 pm

I agree. I've never been a fan of subclassing but unfortunately it seems to have become a staple. You can do what I did: just pick a random class for the extra skill points but just ignore the class abilities.

[] - [] - [] - []

Tortuga774
Ragelope

Postby Tortuga774 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:53 am

First of all, thanks for responding. I was afraid the Golden Deer Pub is not in use any more (because of the few activities), and I'm 5 years to late to expect a reply.

Back on topic. I thought the subclasses would have a huge impact of the later game. Good to read, that this is not the case.
Although I want to use the game-mechanics, or at least try to.
So there are still some points to consider, right? For example, it doesn't make much sense to subclassing a gladiator with a monk for healing, because of the gladiators bad TEC. Or do the subclasses influence the stats?

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Nah, it's just been a really slow month actually. I think it's because of summer vacation, haha, and usually there's people that would respond to this. Hrrrrm, unfortunately I'm not the best one to ask this question. :) I'm sure someone is going to be around. This is the more popular game in the series actually.

[] - [] - [] - []

Tortuga774
Ragelope

Postby Tortuga774 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Ok, nice to know.

Really want to continue playing.
Therefore i just try out some ideas:

buccaneer/prince -some good buffs and debuffs, nothing special
hoplite/ninja -basically give him the shieldskills, bunshin, provoke and nikudan
monk/gladiator -healing skills and clubskills for some dpr, if nothing to heal
arbalist/zodiac -ambush and meteor
zodiac/farmer -dark ether for casting meteor and some useful skills like "to market" (and elementskills for flexibility)

If anyone has some improvements or advices, just post it.
I'm glad about it and have no problem with resting.
Last edited by Tortuga774 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Well, one thing nice about the EO games is that you can at least finish the main story with any reasonable party, so you don't have to worry too much about choosing the correct subclasses.

I think subclasses don't influence the base stats, they only make new skills accessible. And subclassing gives you a few extra skill points of course.

Like Maxine I'm not really a fan of subclassing (or it's more recent variation, grimoires).

It's been years since I played EO3, so I'm not too sure, but you party setup looks okay. Can a subclass Ninja use the bunshin skill? If they can, that'd be nice. Only Wildlings and Ninjas can make use of the sixth party member slot.

Nice to see someone who won't horribly butcher the pronunciation of Landsknecht :P
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Tortuga774
Ragelope

Postby Tortuga774 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:32 pm

ElmntNinja
Ragelope

Postby ElmntNinja » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:24 am

Subclassing doesn't affect stat growth in any way possible.
But some classes become more effective on what they do, popular example being Monk/Prince(ss) when they use Protect Order to heal.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:45 am

Tortuga774
Ragelope

Postby Tortuga774 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:39 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:56 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:07 am

Tortuga774
Ragelope

Postby Tortuga774 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Scryta
Ragelope

Postby Scryta » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm only in the third stratum of the game so im not very well known on subclassing (I've completed EO1 and EO2 so far though) however I found zodiac ninja works really well, I use bunshin and use etheric charge plus whatever elemental weakness a monster may or may not have and it works amazingly, it got me through the hall of conviction very easily so

Klaww
Ragelope

Postby Klaww » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Personally I thought the subclassing was a little broken. Point of focus, Ninja/Zodiac. With the Ninja's class skill maxed and Dark Ether learned, a party could spam a lot of high cost skills at the expense of 1 TP to the Ninja. I also found that Princess/Farmer was decent as well for healing, gathering, and TP regen.

15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City”