Maradyne: Ship of Worlds

Because someday it might be real....

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
eharper256
Diabolix

Maradyne: Ship of Worlds

Postby eharper256 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:20 am

So yeah, I should probably actually start a topic for it, shouldn't I?

To CLARIFY, This is not starting immediately, I need to formalise a bunch of details and find the notes for this setting.

At the moment, this topic is a placeholder and will be edited in time. For now though, please register your interest.
8)

--------------------------------
SUMMARY
Maradyne is a huge rusted flying dreadnaught type ship that was the legacy flagship of the Lectrom Empire until the Third Crash brought a catatrophic end to all magics and made it go boom. The impact crater left a volcanic desert in its wake; but that was nearly 500 years ago and the environment around it since turned tropical. A town called Cisaria lies nearby; at one time the town flourished on jungle trade, with sugars and suchlike, until the scwartz (mayor-lord-protector) had a strange dream that led him to the ruined vessel. Since then (30~ years) his son has taken over, and spread rumours of the place to increase the towns prosperity.

There will be more plot when I find it, the above is from memory; but as you can imagine, a weird magical-steampunk is a focus, and if I remember rightly, this setting also has sentient books. Think Bioshock meets Myst meets EO.

BASIC RULES
To clarify, how I ran my last Forum RP was like this:

1) Goes with democracy from the group. So if at least 3 are agreeing on a direction, you'll go that way until you reach something of interest or a decision point. Do you really want to split the party in an EO type dungeon, after all? I'd imagine not.

2) Therefore: Game Time only passes when a GM post is made. If you want to change your mind about an action, you have until the GM post to edit your post or make a new one.

2a) You're not restricted to 1 thing per post. You can line up a queue of logical actions with conditions:
"I check the bush => If there's a monster, I immediately protect the party => If not, I'll open the door to the south"

2b) If there is conflicting action as a result, I'll go with the best solution, highest speed, or if theres no other way, nothing will happen.

2c) Hence, there's no set time to a post. Time could progress 1 minute or an hour. But if the latter, I'll probably keep you updated.

3) If a player has made no post in the time limit, they're just assumed to agree with whatever is going on; if its a battle, they'll use a basic attack. If they miss out on three posts, they fade into inactive status (can't hit, can't be hit, can't do anything useful either until active).

4) GM rolls the dice.

Obviously, these still sound sensible to me, but I'm open to suggestions on how to run based on what is preferred.

GAMEPLAY
How does this crazy s**t work?
Okay, I crushed EO down into a system I can more easily use on a Forum.
-Each class has 10 skills now. At Character creation, you have just 1; but its of a higher power than you might think. You then get 1 skill point every odd level.
-Similarly, each class has starting stats, and you also have 2 bonus points when you start. Then you get +3 HP and +2 TP a level, as well as +1 stat point.
-What stats do?
[spoiler]No 'to-hit', normal attack auto hits unless theres a dodge skill or something in place. Standard Damage is 1D10 + Modifier (STR for a normal hit, but might be SPD or INT).

Strength adds to your melee type damage and tests of Strength#
Speed helps your action speed and sometimes ranged damage
Intelligence is spell damage and puzzle like things
Luck is your chance to shake off status effects[/spoiler]
-Nearly every roll uses an electronic 10 sided dice (an RNG, in other words), but actually there aren't that many rolls. Mainly combat, and in any case I'll handle all of that side.
-EVERY SKILL Always uses 2 TP, for easiness, which is main reason there are no upgrades (yet).

Landsknecht
As you might expect, strong and tough. Notable now for passive skill of Quick Switch, allowing them to always carry a sword and an axe later on for all situations.
SKILLS
[spoiler]
Whirlwind - Sword. Hits 3 Targets of choice for average damage
AllSlash - Sword. Damages all enemies, though fairly weakly.
HyperCut - Sword. A normal attack, but always first, and adds SPD to dmg.
BindCut - Sword. Deals much more damage if vs. a binded foe.
Stunner - Axe. Might stun the foe.
DeathAxe - Axe. Chance of instant death.
Silencer - Axe. Chance of head bind.
Brawn - Axe. Always last. A powerful and reliable hit.
Quick Switch - Can switch between axe & sword with no action.
Chaser - Both. Follows a spell with an equivalent attack.
[/spoiler]

Protector
A mix of the EO Protector and the 7th Dragon Knight now; hence has a few more offensive skills.
SKILLS
[spoiler]
Kishin Blade - A stronger sword attack.
For Glory! - Chases physical attacks; but doesn't always work.
Shield Smite - Damage depends on Protectors HP.
Line Guard - Choose a line, it takes 1/2 dmg.
Defensive Support - Choose 1 character, you take their hits & reduce dmg.
Provoke - Draw enemy attention.
Parry - If hit this turn, take no damage.
ElementGuard - Reduce all elemental damages
GuardMaster - Reduce damage relative to your intelligence.
SafeWalk - Help the party across damaging areas.
[/spoiler]

Survivalist
Mainly of note is that their SPD is all thats important in their damage, and hence the arrow skills should be decent.
SKILLS
[spoiler]
HyperShot - A strong arrow that always hits first.
Barrage - Peppers the entire enemy force with weak shots.
DoubleShot - Hit one enemy twice, or two enemies once.
Apollon - Delayed hit for lots of damage.
Number - Might Paralyse
Sagicity - No suprise attacks against party.
Velocity - Survivalist might dodge attacks.
SafeWalk - Help the party across damaging areas.
Stalker - Reduce the encounter rate.
[/spoiler]

Dark Hunter
Dual wields a short sword and whip now, so like Landsknecht, as long as they have the right skill, can choose from both skillsets.
SKILLS
[spoiler]
DoubleUp - Wield a Whip and Sword together.
Viper - Whip. Might Poison.
IN PROGRESS
[/spoiler]

Medic
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Alchemist
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Bard
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Gunner
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Ronin
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Hexxer
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

War Magi
SKILLS
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

IN PROGRESS

Will use EOII classes; but with some old things kept from EOI (notably, old better versions of Alchemist/Bard/Survivalist). If I'm feeling in the mood, some EOIII stuff may infiltrate there (Princesses and Ninjas probably). Suppose I could also use the 7th Dragon lineup, but I don't think as many people are familiar with those.

Don't actually assume anything about the classes at this stage, though, since I've not yet decided on how system mechanics will work, and hence the former statement is just to allow you get an idea for what character you'd like to play.

It is possible that I will adapt a special version of my own RPG, Aniventure, for this Forum RP. Not sure yet. If you have suggestions, they are welcomed.

In all likelihood, I will accept a normal Etrian sized (5) party, though some arguements might be made for 6. Regardless, the usual max of 3Front/3Back will apply.
GAMEPLAY
CLASSES
Last edited by eharper256 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:12 am

I've only participated in this format of RPG over a table with a group of friends but I'll give it a shot

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:50 am

This seems interesting to run a tRPG-format game in a forum format.

I'm more used to doing it over IRC or in real life.

I am interested though
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Started posting stuff about the classes. Might a little while before its done.

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
4 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Role-Playing”