Online session of Pathfinder?

Because someday it might be real....

Moderator: ItL Moderators

noodles
ItL Moderator

Online session of Pathfinder?

Postby noodles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Hey gals. With Kino imprisoned in an asteroid, I'm considering taking up the reigns of this. Some of you may remember her Pathfinder game...it was actually pretty popular, but she hosted it at what was basically 7 AM Saturday morning for me, so a lot of people dropped off simply because scheduling was impossible, and Kino eventually did as well as soon as real life happened.

I'd like to gauge interest in this by running a session on Roll20. I'll be using the adventure from the Beginner Box, which can easily be done in one session, so I'm encouraging people new to tabletops to join. If you are a veteran, it might be a little easy, but you should post that you're interested anyway.

The Beginner Box uses a short adventure in the official Pathfinder setting. It's designed to give people a taste of all the game's features while being fun and cohesive in itself. It doesn't matter if you don't know what a d8 is, you can have fun with it.

The Beginner Box uses a simplified version of the Pathfinder rules (which are themselves mostly compatible with D&D 3.5) but I'll be running it using the full rules. If you're interested, and things start rolling, you are free to come up with your own level 1 character, or I can provide you with one, or I can help you make one if you want.

However, don't rush into doing that just yet, just post in here that you are interested, and what sort of character you might like to play if you know. Then we'll work out a day to do it.

EDIT:

Pathfinder uses an open game license, so the rules are legally free! Click if you want to take a look, but ask me if you want to use anything other than the core races and classes! (APG classes are ok, but I'm pretty iffy about summoner)

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Re: Online session of Pathfinder?

Postby zamisk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 pm

FUCK YEAH.

I'll fill whatever roll the party needs so the newer players can pick whatever they want.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Curry-Kohai
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Curry-Kohai » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:46 pm

I am so up for this, after my group fell into inactivity and life happened, my weekends have been rather dull, I, like Zamisk, want to hold out for something the party needs, though I want to try out the Android race.

*Important note: Not actually a Senpai.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:48 pm

(for those of you who don't know what Pathfinder or even Dungeons and Dragons is, you basically play a character in an rpg party and work together on a grand adventure to overcome dungeons and perhaps even dragons. you have almost total freedom of actions, but if your character dies, it's unlikely they can be brought back.)

also whats the android race. is it like warforged

Curry-Kohai
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Curry-Kohai » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Not really sure what a warforged is like, never played DnD much, here's the link to it:

Basically they get bonuses to saves against mind-affecting affects, paralysis, poison, and stun. They don't need to eat or sleep and can use to get a bonus to a roll, they get a bad penalty to sense motive, though.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:13 am

Hm. Interesting. If you want to fit an android into this setting, you should probably read about as that's where an android would be from

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 am

I know very little of stuff like this, but I'm totes interested. The only problem I see is that if we all have to get together on Skype/voice chat at the same time the schedules might be difficult to arrange because of work/classes (almost time for finals and the holiday season shopping spree BS.)

Curry-Kohai
Manticor

Postby Curry-Kohai » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 am

I'll look at it, android isn't something I'm certainly going to be, though, it depends on what the others pick.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 am

Also, go watch the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons episode of community if you want to know what D&D is about, CD-Man.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 am

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:15 am

I know the general idea behind D&D and table top RPGs, but nothing more than that. Like how "turns" are taken and all that jazz. I'll look up that video some time to catch up though.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:45 am

I'm interested.

I have no idea how anything works and you'll have to teach me like a five-year old. But I'm interested.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:12 am

i will hold everyones hand as they take babby steps

the most basic shit:

you control a character. you have a sheet telling you what that character has and what they can do. you travel with other adventurers as a party and overcome obstacles. to do some sort of action in the game, you look at your sheet and find the skill that corresponds to that action, and its bonus. you roll a 20-sided die, and add that bonus to the result. if the number is high enough, you achieved whatever you were trying to do, be it convince someone of a lie, unlock a door, use a magic device, or hit someone with a sword.

when you go into combat, you roll to see what order everyone takes their turn in. at that point, things basically happen on a grid, like a turn-based strategy RPG. every person can do whatever they want on their turn, but they have a limited amount of actions, as your turn is supposed to be what you can do in six seconds.

it will all make sense once you do it!

think about what role in the party you would like to fill. front-line fighter? stealthy archer? wise healer? charismatic bullshitter? backstabbing thief? calculating mage? theres a way to do anything

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Added the link to the website.

Curry-Kohai
Manticor

Postby Curry-Kohai » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Aw, iffy about summoners? How can I ever recreate Jotaro now?

84 posts

Return to “Role-Playing”