Because someday it might be real....

Moderator: ItL Moderators

136 posts
noodles
ItL Moderator

Pathfinder RPG: TERROR OF BLACK FANG!

Postby noodles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:44 am

This is the official thread of the Pathfinder game I first proposed

THIS IS A BEGINNER-FRIENDLY ADVENTURE WITH NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED! IF CHARACTER CREATION SEEMS DAUNTING, I CAN PROVIDE ONE FOR YOU!

The game will be played online at http://roll20.net/ so set up an account! We are shooting to play this Saturday/Sunday since that's when most people seem to have availability.

You are an adventurer staying in the town of Sandpoint, in the Varisian frontier. Varisia isn't a country so much as a line drawn around a group of city states and mountains. Sandpoint is a small and peaceful seaside town surrounded by farms and wilderness, perhaps the most friendly town on the coast, known for its cathedral, glassworks, and lumber industry. You've heard of strange things happening lately, mutterings of something called "Black Fang", and you may be heading to Sandpoint to check it out.
[storing exposition here]

For more information about the surrounding areas, especially if you want to make a character native to Varisia, let me know and I'll share a pretty nice PDF with you via PM. Otherwise, consult http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/

All the information you need to make a character is available legally for free at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Here's what I want you to do.

For your ability scores, roll a d6 (six-sided die) three times, re-rolling 1s and 2s. Adding the results together will generate a number between 9 and 18. Since you have 6 stats, you will need 6 numbers. Do this as many times as you like until you have a set of stats you are happy with. Remember that in Pathfinder, you are part of a team, so it's usually better to specialize than to generalize. It's better for a fighter to have STR of 18 and INT of 9 than to have 15 of both.

Ability summaries:

Choose which class you'd like to play. I'm allowing all of the "Core" classes, those being the standard ones from Dungeons and Dragons, as well as most of the "Base" classes like Alchemist and Oracle. I'm disallowing Antipaladin, Summoner, Ninja, and Gunslinger (though I'm not forbidding guns themselves). We want to have balanced teams. For example, a good four-person team would have someone who deals a lot of physical damage, someone who can heal, offensive support, and someone sneaky who can disarm traps. With the right investment of points, though, you can make a lot of combinations work.

Remember that each class has one or two abilities it is based around, for instance the highest score for a sorcerer should always be Charisma, as that's where they get their power.

Pick a race. I'm allowing everything but third party races, unless you can convince me otherwise. Remember that your race has ability score modifiers and other abilities that may be useful or harmful depending on what class you want. Also remember that certain races need a good reason for being there. The people of Sandpoint may never have seen a Grippli before, and might not trust one. And they would probably run a Hobgoblin out of town!

Your HP is your full hit die, plus your constitution modifier.

You can also pick two traits. Theres a list on the website, and they basically will give you something like a +1 on a skill, and are basically there to give weight to your backstory.

Once you have all of this information, and have access to a character sheet (or a thing like just follow the instructions for your class, like how many skill points you get and how skills are allocated, and you will be fine.

Weapons, armor, and gear must be bought with gold. To determine your starting GP, take the average starting wealth for your class, and double it. You receive these items for free:
-A backpack
-A bedroll
-A belt pouch
-A sack
-A set of clothes
-10 torches
-5 trail rations
-A waterskin
-A dagger

Everything else has to come out of your wallet. It's best to buy the weapon and armor you want first, and make sure it's something your character can use!

Post your character name, race, class, and whether or not you will be able to play this saturday/sunday.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions, this is designed for beginners so no question is stupid. If you want to hit me up on Skype so I can walk you through the character creation process that's cool to!

Resources so far:

(please be mindful of spoilers)
(consider buying a real dice set)

Current known players:

zam - whatever the party needs. cleric????

cd-man - witch

yggdrago - paladin

wolken - wizard

liferake - probably rogue

kilresh - fighter

masta blasta - cleric

I'll update this as deemed relevant.

REMEMBER: I plan on doing this Saturday afternoon-evening, pacific standard time. If that's not gonna work, post as such ASAP!

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Re: Pathfinder RPG: TERROR OF BLACK FANG!

Postby CD-Man2021 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:22 am

I'm free this Saturday after 3, and Sunday after 7, PST.

I'm making my character right now. I'm not sure if it's normal, but I seem to be getting decent rolls for my ability scores. I rolled

Now I looked around a bit, and am I safe in assuming this is a mix of So I can pick and choose which number represents what? (if so, 16's totally going into int). And that's without racial modifiers.

I also rolled a total of 16 for my starting HP, do I just leave it at that, or do I need to add/remove anything else?

Curry-Kohai
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Curry-Kohai » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 am

Why are we rolling for stats? Wouldn't point-buy be more efficient in a faceless forum game?

*Important note: Not actually a Senpai.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 am

Name: Zamisk
Race: Half-Elf
Class:Rogue

I can play whenever this weekend.

This is where my username comes from, my default character in any game has been a purple-haired red-eyed half-elf rogue named Zamisk since I was little. I have a higher leveled Zamisk in Pathfinder but this is just for one game so it doesn't matter.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 am

Curry-Kohai
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Curry-Kohai » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:35 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:57 am

Curry-Kohai
Manticor

Postby Curry-Kohai » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:03 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:06 am

i edited my post oops

as for people bluffing their ability scores, i place my trust in the people of itl to not be shitbags

EDIT: btw kilresh cant make it either, so we're down a fighter. let's get a fresh indication of whether or not people can make it THIS saturday. i think zam, cd man and yggdrago are good? maybe wolken.

EDIT2: i should reiteriterate that if shit goes bad and we only get a couple people to play on saturday, thats fine, i can throw in an npc to balance the party, and run the same adventure again at a later date when more noobs can get in on it

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 am

Name: Cathy
Race: Elf
Class: Witch
Like I mentioned earlier, Saturday's fine after 3:00, though I'll probably be home from work closer to 3:30 PST.
Last edited by CD-Man2021 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:56 am

What time zone are you in? Saying 3:00 doesn't really help.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 am

Saturday is definitely fine for me, but Sunday is a no-go. If it stays at Saturday, I see no problems.

Character Name: Karl Reichenberg
Character Race: Human
Character Class: Paladin

STR: 15
DEX: 11
CON: 12
INT: 13
WIS: 13
CHA: 17 (15 +2 for being Human if I got that right?)

For everything else I think I need some help...sorry for the trouble!
This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 pm

no preblum. first of all you should probably toss that +2 onto strength instead. for a paladin, that extra bonus point is gonna feel a lot more relevant when swinging your sword, since you dont get spells at level 1.

the amount of skill points and saves and base attack bonus and other stuff a paladin gets at level 1 is on this page in the table http://paizo.com/prd/classes/paladin.html

though remember that being a human will give you an extra skill point, and you can choose whether at level 1 to get an extra hit point or skill point.

You should download the character sheet pdf from here http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/resources and print it out. If you have your ability scores ready, and have the information from the table, you can already fill in most of the spaces on it.

The paladin has a set of class sills, and you can mark the boxes next to skills on the character sheet so you know what's what. When you put a skill point into a class skill (giving it a "rank") you get an additional bonus of 3. So, if your Charisma bonus is 2, and Diplomacy is a class skill, and you pit 1 point into it, 1 + 2 + 3 = +6 bonus for using diplomacy.

I'm about to sleep, so if you download the free trial of and load up the pathfinder package, you will be able to enter all your stuff and it will do the math for you and let you know if you are forgetting anything -- just remember that you can't save in the free version, though you can do a print preview to show a character sheet version of what you have entered, allowing you to copy it down to your own sheet.

You still have the rest of the week to get it sorted out, but if all of it seems daunting, I can just give you pre-made paladin stats to use! A lot of it makes sense once you actually play.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Rolling up my character now. Anyone know if the Divination school works the same as it did in 3.5 when comes to picking opposed schools from your specialty?

EDIT: Actually nothing in the rules seems to suggest so. So long Divination, and welcome fun times with an arcane caster that can't detect spells ;)

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:10 pm

Noodles, I really think I need some more help. I don't get this stuff at all :/
This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

136 posts

Return to “Role-Playing”