Pathfinder RPG: TERROR OF BLACK FANG!

Because someday it might be real....

Moderator: ItL Moderators

136 posts
Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Pathfinder RPG: TERROR OF BLACK FANG!

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:04 am

this just reminded me how awful i broke 5th edition with my tank wizard >_>

had no real way to draw attacks, but it had so much control..... and the highest AC in our whole group... it was rather silly

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Yggdrago
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Yggdrago » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Evil noodles xD But yeah, if even I figured those stats were too good it was gonna turn out that way. Do you prefer the point buy method then? And is the one you let us use up to now something you came up with on your own?
This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 pm

no, rolling for stats is how it was originally done. there's lots of methods, and i think that one is the best for beginners. I think beginners should always roll their stats first, but I don't want them having penalties either, like a 7 in wisdom or something.

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Makes sense. I was just wondering because the rolling methods I saw where either a strict 3d6, or 4d6 with the lowest die discarded. But giving beginners a chance to go without penalties is nice.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:23 pm

20's in ALL THE THINGS!!!!

.....and a lizardfolk on top of that
lizardfolk were so overpowered in 3.5 >> had like +5 natural armor and could still wear armor.... and had like a 0 or 1 Level Adjustment.... freaking insane >>

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 pm

sounds like how wizards do it actually, yeah

you should know every spell, or rather you dont have a maximum (there are ways of learning new spells, after all, and im not sure how it works at 1st level) but you need some preparation for them, and youre still limitied on how many you can cast a day

although i was (and still am) tempted to try a magus

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Basically wizards and magi start the game knowing a certain amount of spells (not all spells) based on their intelligence modifier and add more as they level up. So, a level 1 wizard with INT of 16 is gonna have somewhere around 6 level 1 spells, but only be able to use like 2 (i think) in a day. Importantly, you can also copy spells down from scrolls and another wizard's spellbook to gain a bigger selection of spells. For powerful spells, if a level 1 wizard rolls high enough to copy down Fireball, he still can't use it until spells of that level are unlocked.

The Magus is an amazing class, but it's a glass cannon. High intelligence and strength means your dexterity and constitution suffers, and you basically need mage armor to stay on the front line. But it's like, shooting magic on your way there, slashing a guy while blasting another one with Cone of Cold, turning around and slashing another guy with your blade imbued with Frigid Touch, then using your arcane pool to get that cone of cold back and killing another guy...

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 pm

all ive ever heard about magus is most GMs dont allow it UNLESS the player is heavily restricted/handicapped because of how easily it can be broken

then again, ive never really LOOKED at them, thats just the overwhelming consensus i've heard personally

but "spell sword" type characters are neat :D

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 pm

magus is probably the best "spell sword" class in D&D-related tabletops.

It can be broken, but so can any of the classes from the APG. That's why it's the Advanced Player's Guide. Oracles are the ultimate healers. Magi can recall spells they've used. Arrows curve around a Cavalier as he rides towards his opponent. Inquisitors control minds and can imbue weapons with Bane at will. Summoners are Summoners.

A good player isn't one who knows how to maximize the efficiency of his class, it's one who knows not to do so. For people with discipline, the APG classes are amazing fun.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:34 am

looking at them... i'd probably make a base magus or a kensei with as many extra arcane pools as possible lol

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:01 am

Yggdrago
Wyvern

Postby Yggdrago » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks for all that juicy info! Really helpful.

About the survivability of the Magus, they don't get a spell failure chance from wearing light armor, and at higher levels it's the same with medium and heavy armor as well, which is really neat. I definitely want to try one out...but there's so much I want to try out. Ugh. Choices.

Okay, so as a Magus I still only get the amount of spells listed on the table, even though the text says a Magus can know any number of spells? That's kinda misleading, but I guess otherwise it'd be a tiny little bit too strong (and would make leveling up and getting new spells...weird).

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:51 pm

saying someone can know any number of spells is very different from saying someone knows every spell.

136 posts

Return to “Role-Playing”