ITL Book Club: Members and Rules

Meeting place for the forum's Book Club.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: ITL Book Club - Sign Up Now!

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:26 am

I think the goal is to just make sure it's not some book that's like 20+ years old that is potentially out of print.

I suggest names be in some sort of order. Kino should start and maybe we can go down the sign up sheet list in order? When new people come in, they bump into the next position of the list (if they've joined by the first time we've went through everyone's name at least once). Something like this?

As for time period, I'd suggest about a three week period? Maybe a month? I know my libraries take about a week to get books in, and even Barnes and Noble takes about five days to a week in my area to get a lesser known book in.

[] - [] - [] - []

NessySchu
Manticor

Postby NessySchu » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:15 am

Yeah, I'd say three weeks to a month sounds perfect. Knowing me, I'll read them the day before lol but whatever works. Also, my pick is an autobiography... Acceptable?
Nessy and I can sports and we have several fan. -Zam

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:47 am

Well alright, the life of another is interesting.
When you're alone, always remember:

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:27 pm

I suppose this would give me motivation to read, but I have been trying to find the time to finish this book for over a year, and there is really LITERALLY no time at all in my daily life where I am sitting somewhere away from internet where I would even have or be allowed to have a book and read it. I could be standing at work with no customers coming by for a full half hour, just standing there, but if I were to pull out a book I'd be in huge shit. I'd have to dedicate times before or after work to reading and then it becomes a chore. It would probably only be on my days off, and that would make me really skeptical about a once-every-three-weeks thing.

Plus a lot of the things I immediately thought to suggest were books from like the 1960's...

I don't know I will keep thinking about it but I will need some encouragement and assurance that I can work around those problems

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:33 pm

I can't join! For now, at least. There's quite a bit of stuff to do...

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:39 pm

The issue with out-of-print/small-press books is just simple availability -- we want to make sure everyone can get a copy in a timely manner. If you have any questions or concerns about a specific book, ask me. I can call publishers and find out availability, search library systems, etc. If anyone needs help finding a book, send me a PM or something. Also, if you really want to pick a book that is out of print, and the group decides they're all okay and able to find library/second-hand copies, that's fine with me.

As for timeline, I was also thinking 3 weeks to a month. That seems suitable for people to locate a copy and read. I thought a rotation order would work best, and if people want to sign-up rather than be chosen randomly that's fine by me. I want people to have plenty of time to get the books, so you'll need to have your book selection in advance. Nessy, you already have a book picked, so why don't we start with you? Whoever chooses to go after Nessy (assuming she's okay being first) should have their book selection ready within a few days. I volunteer to go 3rd, because judging by the calendar that's going to work out best for me.

Here, everyone sign up for book selection:

1 - Nessy
2 - Kino
3 - Negzee
4 - Jubelon
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -

How's November 1st work for the first book deadline/discussion meeting? Will that give everyone sufficient time?

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Meh, I got a book or two in mind, so, I'm good whenever.

[] - [] - [] - []

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:33 pm

I am interested more in nonfiction. In particular, most things I read (that aren't technical documentation and the like) fall into the science and philosophy (esp. religion) buckets. History and politics also interest me. Of course, there's a lot of overlap in those four categories, and writings I consume often integrate them. I'm not sure how good those are for casual discussion, though.

Mind you, I'm open to reading most anything. My main concern here is just that I'm an excruciatingly slow reader. That, and I've been rather busy lately.

As for narrative nonfiction, I've always had trouble figuring out what counts or doesn't. Pretty much any writing presenting facts or describing events that isn't a straight news item or instruction manual has some kind of interpretive storytelling element, ie. style.

Edit: I have a few books in mind that may be suitable for this group, so I'll put my hat in for the next open slot.

Edit2: I share scy's views on high fantasy and associated tropes.

Edit3: I was looking at the OP for updates, went down the page a little and noticed I probably misinterpreted RG. I think I read "I'm interested in nonfiction" before Kino's post above asking about nonfiction. Anyway.
Last edited by negzee on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm

PLA has no time for such! >:3 Very busy (with useless things.)

Koto is pretty short, though. Kawabata Yasunari.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:45 pm

3~4 weeks was exactly the timeframe I was hoping for, so I am a-okay with that!

Oh, I didn't realize the sign-up already started while I was at work. I want to sign-up for the next slot.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:27 pm

For the record, I am up for literally any genre.

As for what I'll be suggesting, I will more than likely choose things I already own, as I have not yet read the majority of the books in my possession.

If there is some trouble finding copies of any given book, don't forget that I also work in a bookstore that sells many, many used books, and I am more than happy to search our shelves and send copies along should the need arise. It is not uncommon for me to pay less than $2 (and often less than $1) for any given used book I find because of the in-store credit I have. : 3

Rain
Hunter

Re: ITL Book Club - Sign Up Now! (Current Book: Nessy's Pick

Postby Rain » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

I wish I could join this but I've been busy with school lately. T.T If there's a book that really intrigues me, I might join in with all of you...

Unless you're all willing to read science/engineering textbooks, then I'd totally join <3 <3 /s
Steam: ichangenamesalot
LoL: Stormcross

27 posts

Return to “ItL's Book Club”