Etrian Odyssey IV Skill Simulator Update

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Etrian Odyssey IV Skill Simulator Update

Postby Reynard-Miri » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Waaaait a second... If I'm reading this correctly then...

Rune Master/Samurai. Rage mage. I'm loving this game more and more.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 am

What to do about a Mystic? They have a few neat things for other classes, but what do other classes have for them? They probably aren't good at physical attacks, but maybe they have enough Tec for some complementary runes?
Or maybe something to increase their survivability is good. The selfish parts of Fortress, maybe.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Assassin looks like a good secondary class, particularly if the Throws count as ranged attacks. Not only does it give you more status options, but you also get more TP from TP Return than any of the Throws cost. Status Mastery to improve zone-ending attacks. Hide Cloak for Defense.

If the link followup attacks are done by your allies instead of you (the skill description isn't really clear about that) then Swordsman would make a decent secondary as well. Plus Power Break and Mind Break, so...

Bind Chase from Sniper? Probably better on another party member than on the Mystic itself.

Assuming that the Zones are buffs on the Mystic, then poor synergy with Dancer. Otherwise, an interesting choice thematically.

Like you said, Rune Master for some bonus runes. Or just to lay down Symbols so that your main Rune Master (if you have one) can focus on attacks instead. Level 6 is only ~5% increase in damage done over level 3. ~17% decrease in damage taken, though. Oh, and TP Conservation.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:52 pm

^ I was thinking about Assassin/Mystic yesterday, but yeah, Mystic/Assassin would inflict ailments even better.

Btw, TP Return seems pretty good. Leaving one of the zones at the first level should fail pretty often, and Healing Power still produces the full benefit. If it does succeed, that's still not a bad thing! Just make sure it's an ailment that doesn't care too much about the level, i.e. not Poison.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an ailment zone always fail if they already have an ailment on them? If I'm right, then having the skill succeed on the first turn would give you 3 turns of TP Return. That feels wrong, though. Any idea if TP Return activates for each enemy you fail to inflict?

Assassin/Mystic has the advantage of MOAR DAMAGE. There's a decent chance I'll actually use one of those. (They just look so cool.) Sniper/Mystic looks good for the same reason.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:31 am

A lot of eyes, btw. Hawkeye, Eagle Eye and two Evil Eyes (Mangekyo Sharingan?!), and no drums or shouts do the same thing this time.
The shout is a Dekaja instead.

I want to imagine dual-wielded gunblades as a Monster Hunter switchaxe.

If there are binding weapons, maybe normal attacks can trigger Bind Chase.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

AkumetsuLord
Bloodant

Postby AkumetsuLord » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:53 pm

All this info just makes me drool. Any good sub classes with Gunblades? i've been interested in that for a while
"Repeat this after me, I'll never take on a God again!"
-Rugal Bernstein

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Natbuk hypothesized that Assassin was. And if he's right, then oh god is he right. They've also got elemental/non-attribute damage, and some skill support for it too, so Rune Master looks like a decent choice. Swordsman MIGHT be, for the same reason. Fortress would certainly be thematic.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm

^ Main-Samurai with gunblade would be so regenerative. But for main-gunblade, it looks like various passives are the way to go so far.

I can't shake thinking of the male one as Fallout-Ulysses. He's just so frowny.
The other male one is obviously a Blue Power Ranger. I think at least three of them are cameos from old EOs.

Do you think Auto-Revive on everybody would add up to around seventy percent, or would it still be thirty?

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Natbuk
Ragelope

Postby Natbuk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:28 pm

So bad news on the Mystic's TP return... well, depending on how you look at it.

I had something like the flu this weekend, so I didn't get to do a lot of the work I intended to do, but I did get to test a lot of stuff while bed-bound. Google translate mislead me on TP Return. Properly read, it states you get TP back when you inflict a status ailment or bind, not when you fail. TP return activates if at least one enemy is affected. If more than one is affected by a zone, either as an initial cast or as an end-of-turn, you only get the TP back once.

I have all the updates to the text (better description on dual-wielding, etc) on my flash drive and will upload them when I get home. The only thing I couldn't fix that was on my list was the clipboard. It looks like I'm missing a security file.

I'm also working on a version that has 5 character tabs, so you can plan your entire party together. I have a rough version complete - I'll throw it up for you guys to test, but the better version is going to require UI work, and like a lot of programmers I stink at making good UIs.

Auto-revive on all members would have a 75% chance to revive (1 - .7^4). It's to the fourth because the dead party member can't activate it. I can't see a problem with going everyone sub-medic... Auto-revive triggers the moment the person dies, even interrupting AoE damage.

I'll add it to my testing list, but it might be a while before I can do testing that requires a lot of resting. Even though it's only a 2-level loss this time, I'm at the point in the game where I need to catch up on sub-quests, and those take me a long time with my translating skills. One quest mentioned mandrakes, so I spent an hour searching for some rare drop before I realized completing the quests had nothing to do with mandrakes, but involved... well, spoilers.

Natbuk
Ragelope

Postby Natbuk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:44 pm

For Imperials I've also considered the synergy with Dancer - put Sword Dance on them, forge a sword with elemental damage, use a rune master's symbol to make the enemy weak vs. that element, then watch as normal attacks or chase samba attacks return TP via Conversion like crazy.

Due to the Dancer's inherent +turns on dances, and her meaningful higher limit on both Chase Samba and Sword Dance, it might work better as a Dancer/Imperial. It's almost enough to make me consider ditching my Swordsman/Rune Master Link combo for an Imperial/Assasin, Dancer/Imperial front-line.

I also need to test multi-hit Rune Master spells with Swordsman Links...

OOOH! As another fun piece of information, there are now items that grant you skill levels. My Rune Master has a helm that grants him Evil Eye: Expose... I picture it as the coolest eye-patch ever.

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:51 am

Hey thanks for working to update this n_n

Punching people is very romantic, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
MATERNITY SPIRAL

Natbuk
Ragelope

Postby Natbuk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:11 pm

You're welcome!

Tabbed version is up - try

Also, the clipboard button is fixed. Negzee pointed out the security issue I was hitting.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 pm

The tabs are niftykeen! Thanks for keeping the sim updated. :)

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:48 pm

You, sir, are awesome. I think I'm going to name a country after you.

83 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”