EO4 in Europe and 3DS region lock

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

DSPkun
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

EO4 in Europe and 3DS region lock

Postby DSPkun » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi guys!
I've been a long-time EO fan and absolutely adored all 3 previous titles. But since the advent of region locking on the 3DS, things are looking grim over here.
I've posted a thread on the Atlus USA forums. It would be great if fellow European EO fans could chime in there and also show their support.
The URL is http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10573

The text is as follows:

Hello everybody!
First of all, let me introduce myself. I am DSPkun, I'm 23 years old and an avid fan of Etrian Odyssey games from Europe (Germany, to be exact).
I bought Etrian Odyssey 1 on a whim together with my DS Lite back then. I saw that it was a dungeon crawler oldschool RPG by Atlus, and I was sold. This was possible because Etrian Odyssey 1 was published by Square Enix in Europe.
Etrian Odyssey 2 and Etrian Odyssey 3 never saw the light in Europe, but that wasn't a problem for me and my friends who got hooked on Etrian Odyssey as well. We just imported the US copies and played them on our European DS systems, which wasn't a problem because Nintendo hadn't introduced their region lock politics before the DSi.
Which brings me to the current dilemma. I, along with many other Etrian Odyssey fans, won't be able to do this for Etrian Odyssey 4 due to the 3DS' region lock. I have the money right here. I want to give it to Atlus (or whoever would publish the game over here), and I want the game. The only thing standing between this happy consumer-publisher exchange is the region lock and possibly the risk for Atlus to find a European publisher to take this project (Ghostlight comes to mind).

But I'm not only here to whine. I'm here to offer constructive advice and possibilities to make the game available for the eager, paying customer base in Europe.

1. As far as I'm concerned, the region lock in the 3DS is software-based. One opportunity would be to just actively make the US version of the game region free, so that European customers would be able to import and play the game. I don't know if that entails extra licencing costs, but it would probably beat the option of physically publishing it over here. I'm okay with paying the shipping costs, along with many others.

2. Offer the game on the European eShop. This would be another low-risk option financially. I would be saddened by the lack of an artbook or a physical copy in general, but it would provide a low-risk way of bringing the game over here to Europe, and it would entail only the cost for putting it up on the eShop while still bringing money in Atlus' pockets via digital sales. No manufacturing, shipping and publishing needed.

3. The traditional way, find an EU publisher who handles this game (Ghostlight and Square Enix come to mind). I'm aware that this is the least probable and very possibly riskiest option financially, but it's a way nonetheless.

Especially methods 1 and 2 would very likely result in profits for Atlus due to the low-risk nature of 1. just leaving out region locking or 2. digital distribution. There is a way to bring it over here and let European customers enjoy the game in some way.

The Etrian Odyssey titles were my favorite RPGs on the DS. I've poured many hours into them, and they provided me with great, intense, immersive moments. Etrian Odyssey 4 would be the title I'm currently most excited about. I wouldn't have taken my time, done the research and posted this here if it was any different.

There are ways. Please, use them. I and many other EO fans would be immensely grateful. I know I'm not alone with this. I hope this reaches someone who can put in a good word or pass it on to people who can.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Kind regard and hopes,
DSPkun

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EO4 in Europe and 3DS region lock

Postby PLA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 pm

^ I've heard that the USA-branch in charge of the boards can't even talk about Europe, though that does sound like a silly rumour.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:24 pm

You should get the facts correct though. Etrian Odyssey 1 wasn't published in Europe by Squeenix (why would they have anything to do with an Atlus game?), but by Nintendo.

As for companies to handle a potential European publication, Nintendo and 505 Games would be good candidates I think. Nintendo handled Etrian Odyssey 1, and 505 Games did Izuna 1. I don't know Ghostlight, but Squeenix would definitely not be interested in publishing something from a competitor I think.

Edit: I see Ghostlight did Persona 2 and 3. Yes, that would also be a good choice then.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Rising Star Games Europe would be a great bet in the UK but as they've just opened a US branch, there might be issues, especially as they complete for the same niche audience. They used to publish a fair amount of Atlas titles a few years ago, but far fewer these days.

[ | | | | ]

DSPkun
Ragelope

Postby DSPkun » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Great idea, Archaic Sage. Can't believe I didn't think of them, I played many a game published by Rising Star, one of them being a little gem on the Wii called Baroque. Loved it.
Just contacted them via their online form. I'm not leaving any option untried.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Baroque was a bitch of a game. Evil rogue-like.

I just have doubts that anyone will do a physical release without the previous titles in the series. I honestly think that a digital release or getting some adapter that removes region locking us the way forward.

[ | | | | ]

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 pm

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 am

Tangent: Atlus was the original publisher for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, but Squeenix published the PSP remake.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm

[ | | | | ]

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 pm

The Wii version was a bit of a remake, what with the updated graphics and different PoV (Third-person instead of First-person).

Either way, it was rather difficult. Any game that makes dying (and losing everything you have) progress the story can be considered as such XD

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:11 am

^ Say what? Dying is super easy.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Faust
Ragelope

Postby Faust » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 pm

I just have this horrible vision of importing an American 3DS and this game and then it being announced that it's coming out in Europe after all. :I

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 am

While I sincerely doubt that it will come out in Europe (though I'm sure people like Ninten would be elated to hear a PAL announcement for EOIV!), it certainly remains a possibility.

39 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”