Character/Party Build Ideas?

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

445 posts
Justanothernerd
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Character/Party Build Ideas?

Postby Justanothernerd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 am

So, turns out I actually know very little about my (edit: second) favorite class from the new game, the Dancer.
Do the Dancer and Nightseeker's multi-hit abilities stack? I feel like I asked this before, but I don't recall. Because if so, that's potentially 8 stun-inducing hits per normal attack.
Also, would Chase Samba trigger multiple hits per chase? Or if sub-Nightstalker, would it hit twice per chase? Or would it maybe chase twice in a row? I'm guessing no to all of this, since I don't think chases are considered normal attacks but it'd be ridiculous if they did.

In other news, I think I've finally figured out roughly how I'm going to use my 30 character slots.
1-5: Main Party (Landsknecht, Fortress, Dancer, Medic, Sniper)
6-10: Secondary Party (Undecided, but eventually a post-game party)
11-15: F.O.E./Boss Party (Undecided, made for boss runs and getting gold drops. Currently is the Nightseeker/Runemaster combo for taking down Kangaroos)
16-30: Harvesting Teams, one for Chop, Take and Mine. Nothing special really, but 3 teams made to run in, stay alive and get out with as little damage & TP loss as possible.
This is what I do instead of paying attention in class... Best student ever.
Grey medic is best medic.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 am

^ Yep, stacks. Not chase, though. I think.

I start with a few of each class.

Harvesting doesn't take many points anymore. Harvesting-teams can still make sense when you're looking for something specific, or farming a particular area.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

ProfAllister
Ragelope

Postby ProfAllister » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 am

I would imagine that the Dancer and Nightseeker's multihit abilities would stack. It seems like it would be exactly like a Shogun/Swashbuckler with Second Sword and Swashbuckling. Along with the Gladiator's Stun Attack.

I'm less optimistic about Chase Samba or Counter Samba. They may be considered skills for the purposes of Shadow Skills, but that seems unlikely, as Shadow Skills specifically calls out weapon skills.

Still trying to decide what my main team and support teams will be. Previous experience indicates that I'll use a Runemaster early game, drop her mid-game, then pick her back up late game. I also tend to get a group of five "can do anything pretty well" characters, and only really switch one out when something stops working.

'course, planning things may be prudent...

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:32 am

When I first learned about the new Harvest mechanics, I thought it'd be kind of pointless to do harvesting teams. Maybe it's just from harvesting so much in the demo, but I figure it wouldn't hurt. My harvest teams would ultimately have at least one character from every class, so if nothing else I have 15 spare characters that I can sub in and out of my party.

Ah well. I'll probably try to stack the multi-hits and chases anyway once I get subclassing, and just pout about it later when I figure out I can't make a Swashbuckling, Chasing Shogun in EOIV (not that it worked that way in EOIII, but still).

I've tried using Runemaster, but so far I'm disappointed. I do like that the different elements have different spreads at different skill levels, but I just feel like the damage output is less than I expected out of a magic user. It's still huge, but I prefer my Sniper because he can put out good damage with just a normal attack, and I love having a binding class that doesn't require summons (here's looking at you, Wildling). Survivalist was a good class. Sniper is even better.

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:59 am

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:21 pm

What's all the cuisine about?

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:52 pm

Remember those fish you could catch in EO3? It's kinda like that but you also have the option to cook/eat them before you go back to town. Gives you some stat boosts, lasts until you return to town, only one food effect at a time.

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 pm

And you can also use the foodstuff on the map by dropping it, attracting FOEs.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:06 pm

^ Is Monster Hunter! :3

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Xtatica
Ragelope

Postby Xtatica » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:36 am

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

^ Links from Swordy, wild flailing from Dancy.

Edit: Oh, maybe my boat can stay the Tiramisu. It's still punny. I do like the Polynose, though.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Xtatica
Ragelope

Postby Xtatica » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 am

ueI
Ragelope

Postby ueI » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 am

Does this game have a boat too?

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 am

445 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”