Re: Character/Party Build Ideas?

Postby Wave-tan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Wave-tan | Administrative Overlord
Waveform Development Circle
waveformfeedback@gmail.com
There's no kill like overkill

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Edit: Ninja.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

ProfAllister
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ProfAllister » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:29 am

So, for a Linksknecht, which is a better approach?

Invest in all three elements;

OR

Invest in one element, then spend the spare 20 points in general utility skills (like Mindbreak and swordbreaker) as well;

OR

Invest partially in all three elements and spend the spare points on general utility skills as well.

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 am

Why not take a middle ground of the two options and focus on two elements, giving you a 66.7% chance of having an appropriate element to exploit, and then bump the general utility a bit?

I suggest this because, while having all three elements covered is great for trash combat, it doesn't necessarily do you a lot of good in an FOE or boss battle. Under those conditions, many of your points are, essentially, "wasted."

Boss and FOE fights are much, much harder than trash so I tend to build my team purely for those kinds of encounters.

emailboxu
Fenrir

Postby emailboxu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:14 am

emailboxu
Fenrir

Postby emailboxu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:14 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 am

Oh, right. Sorry, I thought Wave was talking about some bonus that didn't require a skill.

BlueMortimer
Ragelope

Postby BlueMortimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:10 am

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:06 am

AkumetsuLord
Bloodant

Postby AkumetsuLord » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:20 pm

From what i heard, Dancer/Fortress is pretty good but how about Fortress/Dancer? Since Skills only work for whatever row the dancer is on, its pretty for my Front row. Attack boost, Guard and Health Regen...just wonder if it give good results but seems useful to try out.

Decided to have my Arancist sub with Nightseeker, the Status Aliment attacks has small tp use than the Circles (only been leveling the Bind circles) and with Aliment boost will make things easier
"Repeat this after me, I'll never take on a God again!"
-Rugal Bernstein

emailboxu
Fenrir

Postby emailboxu » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 am

Well, Linksknecht ended up getting scrapped in favor of an Imperial/Runemaster. That quad damage is just too fantastic. Running into problems against the final boss, though. Right now my team is

Imperial/Runemaster: God, I love quad damage. Generic Imperial/Runemaster set, with most of the focus on the elemental Drive Blades and the first four "Cool-down attack" skills (Sharp Edge, Impulse Edge, Cooling Edge, Charge Edge). May consider swapping over to Imperial/Landy for links, but I'm afraid of burning out my TP too quickly that way.
Fortress/Medic: At level 62, and 5 points in HP boost she's got about 630 HP and ridiculous defenses. Taunt/Rampart with Medic subclass for Patch Up and Revive as an emergency healer.
Runemaster/Imperial: Focus on the Buff/Debuff runes with some points spread across the three offensive tiers. In random battles, functions like a standard runemaster but in boss fights she's mostly softening up enemies for the Imperial with the Runes and Hawkeye.
Arcanist/Medic: Poison, and the 3 Binds for crippling groups of enemies, triggering Sniper chases and healing for the team.
Sniper/Nightseeker: Snipe skills for crippling individual enemies, Blind throw for single status support and double attacks for bonus status chances.

Outside of the Imperial, I lack any kind of major damage dealers. I may rest the Runemaster to specialize in a particular set of spells and see how that works out. It's not a huge issue though, except in long fights like the final boss... Most of the other FOEs I've encountered go down after 2 drive attacks.
Grey medic is best medic.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:17 am

I wonder what would be an appropriate subclass for Dante, anyway.
Dancer for those long combos and the ability to dualwield ranged weapons? Dante has some prior experience in filling gauges, too.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

445 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”