So, any thoughts on dlc?

Discuss the fourth game in the series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: So, any thoughts on dlc?

Postby Kimiko » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:53 pm

Hmm, yes, most of these QR quests seem to be only "Quest type: D, Flavor text: blahdiblah" variations. Considering how many MMO quests are exactly like that though, it's still a nice system.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Doktor_Q
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doktor_Q » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Considering the amount of data stored in a QR code is normally something as small as a URL, I'd be pretty shocked if they could do much more.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Are the QR codes really only unlocking existing features? Seems unnecessary complicated. Because the QR codes used so far have space for lots of text...

Try one of them out for yourself: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:38 pm

For the quests I doubt it's unlocking features, so much as giving parameters to a function in the game that spits out quests. Probably something like "quest type, objectives, description, name" or the like- hence, within the same scale as a guild card.

Shousa
Fenrir

Postby Shousa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 pm

That's what I assumed, so I tried to decode those QR codes to figure out how to make my own quests and items... didn't get far, though. I got something like hex code, but couldn't figure out what to make of it. Maybe I'll try harder to figure that out once I actually got myself a 3DS.

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:26 am

My guess is that it's compressed. Shouldn't be too hard to prepare a simple compression of their inputs, especially if the decoding key is built into the game itself. Doubles as a kind of encryption, too!

On the upshot- if someone does eventually crack it, we'll get custom quests, maybe.

Snowdome
Killclaw

Postby Snowdome » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:08 am

Untold classic mode not yet completed. Untold 2 story mode still in 5th stratum. And now EO5 is coming...

Switch FC: SW-1343-6564-9223
Iris @ Pokemon X [Bug #314 #46 #49]
3DS FC: 0688-5760-3487 (There is a FC thread in case anyone didn't notice)

Check for Guild Card Generator <Compatible with EO4, EOU, EOU2 & EDM; Last updated November 8, 2015>
Click for a complete list of EO4 QR codes (quest sorted by suggested level!) and more
<Last updated March 10, 2014>
*For the best QR experience, view the folders in list mode.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:15 pm

It's entirely possible there's some cut content on the ROM that they're accessing, but, to harken back to the olden days, the ROM data for the original Super Mario Bros. occupied less data space than most screenshots. Considering most QR code quests don't have to define a host of new programs and assets, it is entirely within possibility that they just dusted off the old compression tricks.

38 posts

Return to “Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan”